Lisbon self-guided tour: Best route to Castelo Sao Jorge

We will be visiting Lisbon on 9/22 and only have from 8:00am to 6:00pm and are planning a DIY Self-Guided tour. We would like to see Rua Augusta Arch, Castelo Sao Jorge (St George Castle), take a loop on the 28E or 12E tram, and then visit the Tower and Mosteiro dos Jeronimos (monastery) in Belem. Since we want to cover so much ground, we were wondering if anyone had a recommendation about the specific route to the Castelo from Rua Augusta Arch, one of the tram stops, or from a Metro (subway) stop.

• I read that one can take the Elevador do Castelo from Baixa, the Elevador Baixa, and then walk uphill to the Castelo, but I don't see exactly how to do that. I've been trying to determine the route, but haven't been able to do it from the online maps.
  • Is the "Elevador" experience worth the complicated route?
  • Would it be wiser to take the tram loop and then catch the #737 bus that goes closer to the Castelo? 

Suggestions?

Thank you, Diana

Edited by Cruizer Diana
Clarity

I read that one can take the Elevador do Castelo from Baixa, the Elevador Baixa, and then walk uphill to the Castelo

you would actually be close to this elevador when at the Rua Augusto Arch, but the elevador do castelo is actually the first of two elevadors, most likely why you cannot find the walking route. it isn't actually complicated as the streets are small and close together. It is basically elevador, walk 1 to 2 minutes, elevador, walk uphill.

We were staying on Rua da Prata, running parallel to Rua Augusto and used both elevadors.

Less than a 5 minute walk from the RA Arch, (off to the left as you face the sea from the arch) First you go to the elevador do castelo and go to the top where you exit on Rua Madalena.  Cross the street,   turn left and walk a few yards until you see the signage for the Pingo Doce supermarket on your right.(Pingo Dolce Chão do Loureiro reviews on TA mentioning elevador) Go to the entrance to the building and enter.  To your left in the interior hallway  is the supermarket entrance, but ahead on the rear wall you will see an elevator and you take this up.  You exit next to  a restaurant with a panoramic view terrace.  From there you need to go uphill on foot to the castle.  We did it, but be warned that  although the distance to the castle wasn't huge, it was an incredibly steep walk which we would not want to repeat, so I would recommend taking the bus to the castle entrance unless you want some exercise. We did that on our first Lisbon visit and it was so much easier.  You could always take the bus up and walk/use the elevators to come down again if you wanted something different.

We used that supermarket quite a bit during our aparthotel stay as the elevador was very close, as is the supermarket when exiting at the top on Madalena.  And if you want a snack, almost opposite the castelo elevador exit on Madalena , on a corner is .As bifanas do Afonso.  We only bought a locaL snack  there one time to try it but it is very highly rated and there was usually a line outside any time we passed. It is takeout only.

Actually much nicer and actually on Rua Augusta is Fabrica da nata which we very highly recommend.  There is another branch but you will be closest to this one.  Can highly recommend the natas (which you will see on conveyor belts going around the shop) and the super tasty cheese and ham toasties.(I definitely recommend these)  It has great reviews on TA

And should you want to see one of the most famous wall art murals in Lisbon, continue (still left from the elevador)  on Rua Madalena (only a teeny tiny bit further  than the Pingo Doce supermarket turn off), is a the famous Fado Vadio mural.  This is definitely worth a look as the staircase and walls around it are also "art".  Tiny little street and staircase, and  not the easiest to find,  so ask someone to point it out.Escadinhas de São Cristóvão 14

And don't miss The Praça do Comércio either.  It is barely 5 minutes walk from the Augusta Arch.  Enjoy.  We love Lisbon. Visited a number of times on cruise ships then returned on a land trip in Feb 2020 just before the world stopped..

Edited by edinburgher

2 hours ago, edinburgher said:

I read that one can take the Elevador do Castelo from Baixa, the Elevador Baixa, and then walk uphill to the Castelo

you would actually be close to this elevador when at the Rua Augusto Arch, but the elevador do castelo is actually the first of two elevadors, most likely why you cannot find the walking route. it isn't actually complicated as the streets are small and close together. It is basically elevador, walk 1 to 2 minutes, elevador, walk uphill.

We were staying on Rua da Prata, running parallel to Rua Augusto and used both elevadors.

Less than a 5 minute walk from the RA Arch, (off to the left as you face the sea from the arch) First you go to the elevador do castelo and go to the top where you exit on Rua Madalena.  Cross the street,   turn left and walk a few yards until you see the signage for the Pingo Doce supermarket on your right.(Pingo Dolce Chão do Loureiro reviews on TA mentioning elevador) Go to the entrance to the building and enter.  To your left in the interior hallway  is the supermarket entrance, but ahead on the rear wall you will see an elevator and you take this up.  You exit next to  a restaurant with a panoramic view terrace.  From there you need to go uphill on foot to the castle.  We did it, but be warned that  although the distance to the castle wasn't huge, it was an incredibly steep walk which we would not want to repeat, so I would recommend taking the bus to the castle entrance unless you want some exercise. We did that on our first Lisbon visit and it was so much easier.  You could always take the bus up and walk/use the elevators to come down again if you wanted something different.

We used that supermarket quite a bit during our aparthotel stay as the elevador was very close, as is the supermarket when exiting at the top on Madalena.  And if you want a snack, almost opposite the castelo elevador exit on Madalena , on a corner is .As bifanas do Afonso.  We only bought a locaL snack  there one time to try it but it is very highly rated and there was usually a line outside any time we passed. It is takeout only.

Actually much nicer and actually on Rua Augusta is Fabrica da nata which we very highly recommend.  There is another branch but you will be closest to this one.  Can highly recommend the natas (which you will see on conveyor belts going around the shop) and the super tasty cheese and ham toasties.(I definitely recommend these)  It has great reviews on TA

And should you want to see one of the most famous wall art murals in Lisbon, continue (still left from the elevador)  on Rua Madalena (only a teeny tiny bit further  than the Pingo Doce supermarket turn off), is a the famous Fado Vadio mural.  This is definitely worth a look as the staircase and walls around it are also "art".  Tiny little street and staircase, and  not the easiest to find,  so ask someone to point it out.Escadinhas de São Cristóvão 14

And don't miss The Praça do Comércio either.  It is barely 5 minutes walk from the Augusta Arch.  Enjoy.  We love Lisbon. Visited a number of times on cruise ships then returned on a land trip in Feb 2020 just before the world stopped..

Thank you for your help. We are looking forward to our first visit to Lisbon.

Loved Lisbon.  The elevadors are great!  We also enjoyed a 3 hour tour (I think) with Bike My Side.  It's 2 people on a beautiful motorcycle with sidecar.  Daniel took us past a couple places you mention and past a few places I had wanted to go to, but was glad I didn't need to (up, down, whew!)  It was both informative and fun.  Daniel could certainly let you off at the monastery if you want to see more,  or take you to the port or hotel.   I have pictures here: Iberian Sojourn Cruise - Aug. 2014 Photo Gallery by Ruth Rosenthal at pbase.com

Edited by IWantToLiveOverTheSea

• 1 month later...
On 8/22/2022 at 9:33 AM, edinburgher said:

The bus you mentioned is it one that takes you from the bottom of the castle to the top like the one at Pena Palace or do you mean a city bus that takes you up to the top as one of the stops?

No, nothing like the little bus that runs through the grounds up/down to/from Pena Palace which we have used.  i am referring to a Lisbon city bus which runs along/up regular roads and has a  stop almost at the entrance to the castle, closer than the tram stop, but you could take a tram instead and walk up the last bit..

Search online for the number. (or see last line of post #1)  It goes from Praça da Figueira

Edited by edinburgher

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/28/2022 at 6:29 PM, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Loved Lisbon.  The elevadors are great!  We also enjoyed a 3 hour tour (I think) with Bike My Side.  It's 2 people on a beautiful motorcycle with sidecar.  Daniel took us past a couple places you mention and past a few places I had wanted to go to, but was glad I didn't need to (up, down, whew!)  It was both informative and fun.  Daniel could certainly let you off at the monastery if you want to see more,  or take you to the port or hotel.   I have pictures here: Iberian Sojourn Cruise - Aug. 2014 Photo Gallery by Ruth Rosenthal at pbase.com

i'm going to Lisbon in Dec (solo).

that sidecar looks fun!

but $180 for 3hrs is kinda steep 😞

10 minutes ago, fstuff1 said:

Ah great.

What price?

Sorry, I don't remember. 

We booked it on the street, but our friends booked it through the hotel concierge and it was the same we paid. I think it went on their hotel bill.

Next question:  Tivoli hotel.

• Like 1