Izumi Sushi Worth Cost for Sushi Aficionado

On 8/22/2022 at 1:28 AM, biggieboy said:

I will be cruising with my cousin soon, who lives in an area with some of the best sushi in the US. He often eats out in his area and enjoys the food, regardless if it is at a top restaurant or just a local average sushi takeout. When he comes by me, he often dislikes the 'good' local places in my area, saying the fish is bland/old or there is too much rice and too little fish. He wants to go to Izumi to eat sushi but I'm not sure if this is a good use of his time given it is cruise ship sushi. For reference he actually liked the sushi on Carnival.

It is sushi. Not Top Restaurant sushi, but something that we are willing to pay for. 

I think that it was previously mentioned that the US requires that all fish be frozen to kill parasites. So, it won't be fresh-caught texture. You are on a middle-of-the-road cruise line getting middle-of-the road food. That's good enough for us. 

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/dam/royal/resources/menus/izumi-menu-sample.pdf

Yellowtail IS tuna and this is the menu, hardly just Salmon and tuna.

Shrimp, snow crab, chicken, beef, lobster salmon and tuna all on the menu.  It's a nice spread.  I enjoyed every bite.  We've done the Teppanyaki experience twice and hot rock once along with  most of the rolls.  I think it's good.

Edited by BecciBoo

On 8/22/2022 at 12:28 AM, biggieboy said:

He wants to go to Izumi to eat sushi but I'm not sure if this is a good use of his time given it is cruise ship sushi. For reference he actually liked the sushi on Carnival.

If He said he wants to go, go.

After reading the reasons why some say don't go I have to ask, is Carnival sushi made with fresh, never frozen fish? Is it exotic? Just what makes Carnival so good that you would eat and enjoy it  but not eat and enjoy Izumi?

BTW, I enjoy eating at Izumi. 

Some of the best sushi restaurants in Japan use frozen fish and are open about this as certain frozen methods capture the freshness and flavor.  Frozen fish is not a big deal. 

I haven't had Izumi yet, but I'm looking forward to it. I prefer sashimi on its own but certain rolls are also excellent, like umi and ama ebi. I've had excellent sushi and subpar sushi, but I'm also willing to give almost any sushi a try!

4 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

Shrimp, snow crab, chicken, beef, lobster salmon and tuna all on the menu

I think it is more about what is offered as actual sashimi/nigiri, since certain eaters ("snobs," if you prefer) have very little interest in rolls and are looking for things like tako, unagi (or sustainable equivalent), ankimo, etc.

1 hour ago, baelor said:

I think it is more about what is offered as actual sashimi/nigiri, since certain eaters ("snobs," if you prefer) have very little interest in rolls and are looking for things like tako, unagi (or sustainable equivalent), ankimo, etc.

But that is not what Izumi has.  Izumi's menu is widely available.  Anyone can see what they offer.