NCL Dawn British Isles Cruise Choices. Opinions welcome!

Twinkletoe

My husband and I are trying to decide between two cruises. Both itineraries leave from Southampton and include Edinburgh, Invergordon, Belfast, and Dublin. The 11-night cruise (Sept. 3/24) also includes Stornoway, Amsterdam, Brussels, and Paris. The 10-night cruise (Sept. 14/24) does not include those ports, but includes Kirkwall, Liverpool, and Portland. They are very close in price despite one being one day longer than the other. 

Knowing so little about the ports, I am hoping for expert opinions about which cruise to choose. Hearing from experienced cruisers will help us in our decision.

Thank you in advance for any sharing that comes our way!

I would choose the 11 night with Amsterdam, Brussels and Paris but do know Paris is not close to the port it’s a good two plus hours away but usually that’s a long port day, you also have the option of touring Normandy rather than Paris

• Like 2

We did a British Isles cruise in 2019 and would love to book the same one again because there  was so much that we missed due to time constraints.  We're going on Prima next July so we'll port at Amsterdam and Brugge but personally I would love to redo just the British Isles cruise.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, MotownVoice said:

Princess does that identical UK Cruise except they include Liverpool, Glasgow and Paris.  We did it on Royal 2 years ago, it was awesome.  I wouldn't miss Liverpool unless you've been already.

Yep I’m booked on that cruise next July and paying $6k less than NCL and that includes drink, crew appreciation, insurance  and transfer for 4 to airport on day we disembark

Edited by njkate
  • Like 1

It's difficult to choose between those.

The 11 night cruise includes Bruges (go there rather than Brussels) and Amsterdam (which I don't p[articularly like, but most do). I have to say that I don't know a lot about Stornoway, but the Scottish Isles are really nice. I wouldn't get particularly excited about Le Havre if Paris is the attraction, as it is not a good way of seeing the city. Le Havre is good if you are interested in WW2 history, as you aren't far from the Normandy beaches, and there are some nice villages in the area.

The highlight, for me, of the extra ports on the 10 day is Kirkwall. It is on a really interesting Island, with places like Scara Brae (my favourite), Maeshowe and the Standing Stones, as well as newer things like the Italian Chapel. Liverpool is also very popular for obvious reasons. Portland is OK, but the more popular places are a little way away (Stonehenge,. Bath etc).

Give the choice, I'd go for the 10 day, but the extra day could tempt me to the other one if the cost was similar. Both are great itineraries.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, njkate said:

Yep I’m booked on that cruise next July and paying $6k less than NCL and that includes drink, crew appreciation, insurance  and transfer for 4 to airport on day we disembark

For anyone to save us $6k over the cost of our 10 day NCL British Isles cruise in a suite then they would be paying us to go on the cruise.

I'd probably choose the Kirkwall one just because Orkney is amazing and much more difficult to get to by plane etc than the others. But we did really enjoy Amsterdam, Le Havre (went to Honfleur) and Begium and as a trio those are more interesting than Liverpool and Portland.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MotownVoice said:

Not me, I detest handing off my personal belongings.  I'd rather do it myself.  It's like asking someone to come in and brush my teeth for me.

That’s my point! They have laundromat so I can do laundry when needed, cuts down on packing and cost

Edited by njkate

@Twinkletoe

Two things; if you are into Scotch then make sure you visit Highland Park in Kirkwall.

BEWARE a private shore excursion company in Kirkwall.   I was on a ship that failed to dock and there were a LOT of annoyed guests (not us as we were doing a ship tour) as the tour company refused to refund ANY payment and said that guest should claim from the cruise line or their insurance.   Caveat Emptor!!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MotownVoice said:

Not me, I detest handing off my personal belongings.  I'd rather do it myself.  It's like asking someone to come in and brush my teeth for me.

My Haven butler scoffed at brushing my teeth for me until I threatened him with a mulcting.

• Haha 1