Dunedin/Port chalmers ideas

Hi, We are going to NZ in November.

We have been to Port Chalmers 3 times. So we have done the rail trip, city tour, Lanarch Castle etc.

We are hoping to do something with nature, like the cruises to see the albatross and seals.

Open to suggestions please and prefer to be meeting at the Port Chalmers to start the tour.

There is a company that we can go with for a 2 hr wildlife cruise (about $100AUD), that has good reviews, but their "Main time" is 12.30pm and the other times might not run. 

Is there something else we can do in Post Chalmers that can fill the rest of day?

HAL has a full combo day that takes in a wildlife cruise and Natures Wonders but The cruise ships combo day is $309 USD! ($445 each)

Thanks (:

We've been a few times also, but we actually found a great little cafe at Port Chalmers itself...where you can get a good feed and live music, at times. Just something cheap and cheerful to consider...followed by a stroll around town and up to the small lookout.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, vozzie said:

We've been a few times also, but we actually found a great little cafe at Port Chalmers itself...where you can get a good feed and live music, at times. Just something cheap and cheerful to consider...followed by a stroll around town and up to the small lookout.

I agree a stroll around the gardens and the small houses of Port Chalmers was an enjoyable way to spend a few hours, after touring elsewhere.  We also visited Careys Bay Historic Hotel on Otago Harbour nearby.

• Thanks 1

Not recommendations, just options

http://www.exploring.net.nz/index.php/cruise-ship-tours?title=Dunedin_Cruise_Ship_Tours#Tour_Information

https://backtonaturetours.co.nz/dunedin-tours/

https://www.fantailtours.co.nz/

Send them an email, because ship arrival times are random they may be flexible.

Hop a shuttle into Dunedin, spend the day window shopping.

Nice Cafe on the corner in front of the Pt Chalmers Museum.

• Thanks 1

Hi on our last trip to PC we caught the bus/shuttle into Dunedin and just wandered around the town and noticed there was an organ recital being done at the local Anglican Cathedral for cruise ship passengers which we thoroughly enjoyed. When we got back to port we filled in time visiting the local mission to seafarers and the museum and taking in the sights until it was time to go back on board. 

It's a very pleasant port to visit.

• Thanks 1

We got the shuttle into Dunedin, did a bit of a walk around and ended up doing a tour of the Cadburys factory which was ok without being outstanding, the train station is worth a look around as well as is the big Presbyterian church in the middle of town and a nice Museum that has free entry, overall it’s a pleasant place to spend a day.

• Thanks 1

You could always visit my high school spent 6 years there. Back in the 80s it was one of the worst in Dunedin, but I turn out alright. Reputation has improved now 😄 

St Clair and St Kilda beach are nice places to visit. Also Cargills Castle but I don't think its open now to public. Shame. 

Also Tunnel Beach is another place you could visit. https://www.newzealand.com/in/feature/tunnel-beach-walkway/ 

Very easy city to walk around. I taken the local bus from Port Chalmers a few times. You could go on the Brewery tour. Not sure if Cadburys is still in Dunedin, I think they demolised it to make way for new hostipal . Back when I was in high school you could eat the chocolates. I don't think they allow that now. Too much OHS 😄 

Edited by icat2000