Cruise Q's and tips

sandybambi

Hi , I just booked my cruise for Alaska May 2023 With RCI Brilliance of the Seas

for our Anniversary, this is my 2nd cruise and I'm still a newbie.  

I have a question about the drink package, I'm not a big alcoholic drinker and can go without it , my husband - well not so much.

The package is very expensive.

1-if we buy a drink package (non alcoholic) , would that be the option to go? and if my husband buys any alcoholic drinks - he as to pay for it on the spot?

2- can we bring a case of water on the ship, or beer ? or is there bottle fountains , can i bring a refillable water bottle ?

any frugal tips is much appreciated!!

4 minutes ago, sandybambi said:

Hi , I just booked my cruise for Alaska May 2023 With RCI Brilliance of the Seas

I have a question about the drink package, I'm not a big alcoholic drinker and can go without it , my husband - well not so much.

1-if we buy a drink package (non alcoholic) , would that be the option to go? and if my husband buys any alcoholic drinks - he as to pay for it on the spot?

2- can we bring a case of water on the ship, or beer ? or is there bottle fountains , can i bring a refillable water bottle ?

Recommend you ask on the RCI forum for issues specific to that line.   Here is the link for you:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/51-royal-caribbean-international/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sandybambi said:

1-you don't have to buy any drink package(s) -- The charges are put on your "statement", via presenting your Roomkey card.

2-Water probably. Beer would be a no-go. Yes on the refillable water bottle; you can fill it in your cabin or in the buffet restaurant where it would be chilled and possibly additionally filtered. They may like you to use a glass to fill your bottle rather than holding bottle under the dispenser.

Frugal tips: From my one cruise on RCI: keep watching the price! Check the website up to daily. They use "dynamic pricing" and it can change frequently. They may even put the Beverage Package on sale! (To check the price, pretend to book your same cruise and room class.)

My experience was in 2018. For more recent information, do post to the RCI board, here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/51-royal-caribbean-international/

• Like 1

We always travel with refillable bottles and find the water on the ship very nice.  You can bring your water on board if you want.  You can bring 2 bottles of wine on embarkation day to consume in your room, ask your room steward for wine glasses.  We are not real drinkers so pay as we go for speciality coffees and an occasional beverage.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, crystalspin said:

Frugal tips: From my one cruise on RCI: keep watching the price! Check the website up to daily. They use "dynamic pricing" and it can change frequently. They may even put the Beverage Package on sale! (To check the price, pretend to book your same cruise and room class.)

Heck yeah.  We have received several credits, just as you describe.    Last one was literally a couple days ago.  

Edited by ldubs

9 hours ago, sandybambi said:

Buying the non-alcohol package would give you access to all kinds of drinks, but may not include water.   You can calculate the cost of a drinks package against what your husband might consume.  For example, I want my espresso in the morning, but that's the only coffee I drink all day, so I'm happy to sign for it ... it's those kinds of details that you can figure out before you sail.  And you don't have to sign up any of the extra goodies until you're ready to.  Be aware that both parties in a cabin must buy whatever package(s) is chosen.  I'm bringing a couple of snapple bottles so they'll fit in the refrigerator we don't  have to get them from Room Svc ... on my NCL ship is not included in the drinks package.  After we booked, NCL laid out all this in great detail, so I'm pretty confident when it comes to handling it all. 

No need to take bottled water on board.  The water on the ship will be more pure than anything you are likely to buy, you don't have to lug heavy cases of water with you, and all you need to do is take a refillable water bottle.

As for the alcohol questions, I leave that to other responders and people on your cruise line board.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/9/2022 at 11:39 AM, sandybambi said:

Read what is actually offered in the drink package.  The alcoholic drink package on NCL - I know - DIFFERENT cruise line - but as an example - you can get bottled water, special coffees and alcoholic and virgin bar drinks on their drink package.  With everything that is offered in the package ... it can be $$ saving.