NAVIGATOR Crossing - Surprisingly disappointing

Island Venturer

This thread proves that the Navigator, a small ship experience, is not for everybody…..not as much entertainment, not as many choices in dinning, no teaching kitchen and the list goes on. The 480 passenger Navigator offers a difference experience, small town intimate, whereas the 750 passenger Explorer/Splendor has a big ship glam.

The small ship is not everyone’s cup of tea as proved on this thread. On a 2 week voyage which was part of a longer 94 day Grand Voyage, one hated their experience and one thought it was just a 4* experience as compared a 5* experience on the Voyager. Where as three on the Navigator for from 40 to 94 days of the same Grand Voyage were pleased with their Regent experience and felt it was up to the Regent standards. 
This is the same discussion we have had for years.

As far as supply chain problems are concerned, whether they are due to Covid or not, they are real in my part of the country. HEB can’t get their shelves stocked with the same goods from one week to the next. We have been building a house, took one year from order date to getting the refrig, months to get the windows and just recently there was a delay in pouring the driveway because of a concert shortage.

It must be a nightmare getting food and supplies in bulk in the various supply ports.

Also glad to hear about staff some of my favorites also. Hope they are still dithers at Christmas.

• Like 5

Currently on Navigator. This is our first Regent cruise. So far  service is good to very good. Staff are friendly and as with our other cruise experiences, they open up as they get to know you.

Too early to give an opinion about food or entertainment. However, the all inclusive wine list is severely lacking in choice and quality.

the reserve list is sparse. And I feel lacking in value. I also wonder about their condition since I wonder how they were stored during the pandemic.

That’s all for now other thoughts to follow.

1 hour ago, bayonejoe said:

Currently on Navigator. This is our first Regent cruise. So far  service is good to very good. Staff are friendly and as with our other cruise experiences, they open up as they get to know you.

Too early to give an opinion about food or entertainment. However, the all inclusive wine list is severely lacking in choice and quality.

the reserve list is sparse. And I feel lacking in value. I also wonder about their condition since I wonder how they were stored during the pandemic.

The included wine list should be much more extensive than what they readily pour.  I wouldn't call them "fine" wines but certainly an improvement.  They don't advertise the entire list do some digging and you will fine some better wines.  Its my understanding that they have tastings of the included wines, I would bet if you made friends with a wine person they could help you out.

Sorry to hear about the reserve list its traditionally been quite extensive with great prices, another thing to blame on Covid I guess. 

This is an old list of included wines but gives you a sense of what may be available.  

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2645719-current-explorer-complimentary-wine-list/

Edited by RetiredandTravel

17 minutes ago, RetiredandTravel said:

The included wine list should be much more extensive than what they readily pour.  I wouldn't call them "fine" wines but certainly an improvement.  They don't advertise the entire list do some digging and you will fine some better wines.  Its my understanding that they have tastings of the included wines, I would bet if you made friends with a wine person they could help you out.

Sorry to hear about the reserve list its traditionally been quite extensive with great prices, another thing to blame on Covid I guess. 

This is an old list of included wines but gives you a sense of what may be available.  

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2645719-current-explorer-complimentary-wine-list/

Absolutely correct - there are many free choices. They bring out that which they want to use up for whatever reason. This doesn't mean its bad...perhaps they just have too much of it.

2 hours ago, bayonejoe said:

Currently on Navigator. This is our first Regent cruise. So far, service is good to very good. Staff are friendly and as with our other cruise experiences, they open up as they get to know you.

Too early to give an opinion about food or entertainment. However, the all-inclusive wine list is severely lacking in choice and quality.

Hi Joe - Is this your first cruise on any "Luxury" cruise line, or just your first time on Regent?  Thanks for taking the time on your cruise to post some of your observations.  Please continue to do so, if time allows.  As some have mentioned (above), there should be many different choices of complimentary (included) wine onboard.  Sometimes it just takes a bit of investigation to discover them.  😉 The wine stewards are generally very helpful in finding several selections of different varieties that most people will like throughout the cruise.  It just takes a bit of discussion with the stewards or sommeliers.  Best regards. 

• Like 1

We were on the Navigator from Copenhagen to Amsterdam.

The service was outstanding!

The food was great!

The crew was so nice and attentive!

The red wines were awful. 
The entertainment was so so.

We have been on all the Regent ships with over 200 nights. Have been cruising with Raddison/ Regent since 2001.

Navigator is not our favorite ship but we have never had a bad experience.