Question for Uniworld Fans/Heritage Club members

beesKate

2 hours ago, CPT Trips said:

Exactly. It’s enough to keep “tinklegelt” on hand . . . but more coins for tips? I do wish that crew tips didn’t need to be cash.

While I had prepaid Avalon tips on my Irrawaddy cruise, everyone had been so helpful to me with a sore knee that I paid additional tips. I put them on a credit card. 

5 minutes ago, beesKate said:

We noticed this when we were on an Odyssey tour in Peru.  Our bus arrived at the same time as a Tauck bus to the restroom stop.  Although Odyssey is pretty all-inclusive, it wasn't to this level! 

The first time I heard about it, I laughed – but every time I am holding my legs together while I search for a small coin (and especially every time I don't have one), I think "You could have been on Tauck!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

The first time I heard about it, I laughed – but every time I am holding my legs together while I search for a small coin (and especially every time I don't have one), I think "You could have been on Tauck!"

“Because” it all “Depends” on what “Assurance” you need.

• Haha 2

One thing we noticed on our Highlights of Eastern Europe cruise last May was no piano player in the lounge.  According to our bartender, that is a permanent cost-cutting measure.  We sorely missed that, as we always enjoyed hanging out in the lounge in the evening.  They replace it with a lame '20s party one evening -- big disappointment. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

I have another topic where my sister-in-law reports on the Rhone cruise being mostly a bus tour with hotels because of locks being closed by strikes.  On this topic, even though Uniworld's Cruise Companion still recommends €1-2 tips, she says now they say €3 for guides, €2 for drivers.

I wonder if traveling right after Covid, travelers opened Pandora’s box. We were on Uniworld July 2021. Most of us were tipping the tour guides and bus drivers knowing they had not worked in a while. Interesting thought anyway. 

On previous cruises, my husband and I always gave an extra Euro or two to local guides who we felt did a good job. But that’s just the way we are. On my recent Uniworld cruise, I noticed some people tipping the local guides but I’d estimate that an equal number did not. In Nuenan, we were told specifically that all of the guides in the Van Gogh museum and doing tours in the town were volunteers so we should consider a small tip for them since they volunteer their time. I always kept Euros on hand, and the staff on the ship were always happy to exchange bills for coins. (FWIW, I always gave extra tips to my waiter and anyone else I felt went ‘above and beyond.’)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I looked up information on previous trips to refresh my memory.  Our Uniworld trip to India (land and river cruise) in 2018 indicated that gratuities were not included for crew and tour directors, but they were included for onshore personnel (guides/drivers).  However, our European river cruise in 2019 included all gratuities.

"Gratuities Program • Europe, Russia, Asia and Egypt: Gratuities for onboard and onshore personnel (ship staff, crew, Cruise/Tour Manager, local experts, drivers) are included , both during the cruise-tour as well as on any pre- or post-cruise land extensions."

I couldn't find the electronic docs for India, but the above quote is from our Europe trip.

So it seems that Uniworld has indeed changed their tipping policy.  This is from our most recent booking for France in Oct 2023:

"Europe: Gratuities for onboard personnel (ship staff, crew, Cruise-Tour Manager) are included during the cruise-tour."

I admit I never would have noticed this fine print on my own.