Hotel reccomendations for Sydney

Any suggestions on hotel to stay the night before a cruise in Sydney?  I am thinking it should either be something close to the airport that provides a shuttle or something close to the cruise port so that the cab ride the following day is short.  Any prior experience with hotels do use for a cruise.  One that provides breakfast/or shuttle service is ideal but not mandatory. 

If you are getting into Sydney during the day I would get a hotel down near the cruise terminal and just walk to the cruise terminal in the morning there are a lot of good hotels down there. That is if your ship is leaving from Circular Quay.

Hi when having a night or two in Sydney pre or post cruise we stay at the Great Southern in George St (breakfast is available) and catch the airport train to Central which is about 10-minute walk from the hotel. To get to the OPT from there you can either catch the light rail which runs down George St to CQ or a train from Central we have walked down to CQ but it's a bit of a hike as indicated in the previous post there is plenty of accommodation close to Circular Quay. FWIW airport shuttles in Sydney don't have a good reputation best way to get into the city from the airport is either the airport train or cab.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Longwood50 said:

Any suggestions on hotel to stay the night before a cruise in Sydney?  I am thinking it should either be something close to the airport that provides a shuttle or something close to the cruise port so that the cab ride the following day is short.  Any prior experience with hotels do use for a cruise.  One that provides breakfast/or shuttle service is ideal but not mandatory. 

What cruise terminal are you departing from?

3 hours ago, Longwood50 said:

Reading back to your previous Visa post, you are on Majestic, so departing from OPT at Circular Quay.

Airport hotel option - Holiday Inn Sydney Airport at Mascot. There is a regular inexpensive hotel shuttle to this hotel (and others) via Super Shuttle. From there, there is a short walk to Mascot railway station for a quick and inexpensive rail trip into Circular Quay for a bit of quick sightseeing. Staying at an airport hotel is less expensive than the equivalent quality in the city, breakfast available. Depending on how much luggage and if you can wheel it easily, the train is also the cheapest way of getting to Circular Quay on cruise morning. The stations at each end have lifts, trains run regularly, and the pavement at each end is compatible with rolling luggage. A taxi or shuttle is also an option.

Circular Quay option - there are several hotels within walking distance from the cruise terminal, and Circular Quay is also a great area to walk around, see the sights, and has plenty of food options. The most convenient are Rydges Sydney Harbour, Four Seasons, Sydney Harbour Marriott. At the top end of town (pricing) is Quay Grand and Park Hyatt. All are accessible form the airport via shuttle, taxi or train. All have breakfast options, but are also a short walk from City Extra, where you can have breakfast almost within the shadow of Majestic Princess. https://cityextra.com.au/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, portcbob said:

We recommend THE VIEW.. It is situated near the Harbour with Magnificent views. Northern side of the Harbour Bridge. Catch a train right there at North Sydney to the Quay. Breakfast superb and rates are very reasonable.

We love the VIew too, and have also walked down the hill to Milsons Point for the ferry, but only with hand luggage.

2x trains from North Sydney to Circular Quay,with a swap at Wynyard, Town Hall or Central.

On 9/13/2022 at 6:54 PM, ozziepost said:

Hi when having a night or two in Sydney pre or post cruise we stay at the Great Southern in George St (breakfast is available) and catch the airport train to Central which is about 10-minute walk from the hotel. To get to the OPT from there you can either catch the light rail which runs down George St to CQ or a train from Central we have walked down to CQ but it's a bit of a hike as indicated in the previous post there is plenty of accommodation close to Circular Quay. FWIW airport shuttles in Sydney don't have a good reputation best way to get into the city from the airport is either the airport train or cab.

On 9/13/2022 at 4:36 PM, Longwood50 said:

I disagree about a shuttle from the airport to the ship. I always use Jim’s Shuttle from the airport to either hotel or OPT.  Never had a problem with Jim’s with numerous transfers over the years.  (Do not use the awful company with a desk by the baggage carousels!)  I text a day or two before to book, and text when ready for pick up.

If arriving at Sydney International Terminal, Rydge’s Hotel is just a walk across the driveway.  However, if you arrive early in the day, it might be easier to take the shuttle into a city hotel (I love Amora Hotel Jamison) and stroll down to the ship the next day.  Leave your luggage at the hotel after check out and walk down to see the area first.

On 9/13/2022 at 6:36 PM, Longwood50 said:

Prior to Covid we always stayed at The View North Sydney. They had a cruise ship package which included accommodation, breakfast and transfer to and from any cruise terminal and some parking if required. It was excellent value at the time.  Not sure whether they are offering this package at the moment. It was never on their web page, so a phone call or email would be best to find out it they are still offering. The views are fantastic too! With  our next few cruises we have opted to try Meriton Apartments at Kent St and Campbell St. They are reasonably priced (for Sydney) have a washer and dryer (if needed), more space and a light rail trip to OPT, and the views are quite great too, if you opt for an Altitude suite. They also have the advantage of being in the restaurant and shopping district, so easy access to everything, which is something North Sydney does not have especially on the weekend. Just my opinion, but there are many options in Sydney.

2 hours ago, Port Power said:

I disagree about a shuttle from the airport to the ship. I always use Jim’s Shuttle from the airport to either hotel or OPT.  Never had a problem with Jim’s with numerous transfers over the years.  (Do not use the awful company with a desk by the baggage carousels!)  I text a day or two before to book, and text when ready for pick up.

If arriving at Sydney International Terminal, Rydge’s Hotel is just a walk across the driveway.  However, if you arrive early in the day, it might be easier to take the shuttle into a city hotel (I love Amora Hotel Jamison) and stroll down to the ship the next day.  Leave your luggage at the hotel after check out and walk down to see the area first.

I agree with comments about shuttle from airport.  Door to door by shuttle Airport to Potts Point Hotel you can't beat the convenience.  Don't use shuttle service offered inside the airport and book your shuttle in advance.  

BTW I love Potts Point because it feels like being in Sydney!