How to choose arrival time for Charleston

Bollycats

I am on the Sunshine out of Charleston next month and getting ready to do my online check-in and choose my arrival time. My plan is to get on the ship, go straight to muster, then drop my bags at 1:30PM so I can then go eat.

Is the arrival time when I actually arrive at the port? I'm worried there will be a long line of cars to park. Or is it after I've parked and am at the check-in counter? Does 12:30 sound like a good arrival time to do all that and be on the ship at 1:15 or so? Does anyone know how busy the parking lot is around that time? I assume everyone tries to get there early. 

My only other two times on Carnival I had FTTF so I have no idea how this all works. 

Thanks!

We were on Sunshine over Labor Day weekend.  Our Check In time was 10:00am but we got a late start from home and arrived at the parking lot at 11:48.  No wait, just was directed to park.  We rolled our carry ons to Bldg 324 for Check In, which is what you select your Check In time for, to access Bldg 324.  You could park earlier than your check in time but the monitors are supposed to let you in according to your Check In time.  Having said that, I saw others in line with a 12:30pm and 1:00pm Check In time and it wasn't even 12:00pm.  There was a line there but we got through it in about 15-20 minutes.  We are Platinum so we were able to bypass another line for passport check in and taking a pic for ID.  Maybe saved us 10 minutes.  Rode a shuttle to the terminal.  Security had another line but I would say that took about another 15-20 minutes.  Rolled up the gang way and we were having a glass of champagne at the lobby bar around 12:40.  

I think you have a good schedule.  Just remember that some of the lunch venues close at 2:30.  Guy's stays open till 6:00, I think.  Have a wonderful cruise!!

PS nice kitty pic😊

Edited by ninjacat123

Thanks, NinjaCat123. I was hoping you'd answer because I've followed all your reviews. Thanks for the 2:30 info, that's why I want to drop bags and run to the food!

My cat is Emmett. He's 18 1/2 years old but still acts like a kitten, running around and playing with toys. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bollycats said:

Thanks, NinjaCat123. I was hoping you'd answer because I've followed all your reviews. Thanks for the 2:30 info, that's why I want to drop bags and run to the food!

My cat is Emmett. He's 18 1/2 years old but still acts like a kitten, running around and playing with toys. 

Emmett is doing something right at 18.5 years old!!  What ports are you visiting?

Google Maps directs you to the terminal, but for the parking lot you need to drive down Washington Street and turn left on Laurens Street.  Proceed about a block and the parking lot entrance is on your Right.  Then just follow the serpentine path through yellow barriers till you pay for your parking.  Bring a credit card because they don't do cash.  If you don't want to check your luggage, just tell them as you pull up to the porters and they'll instruct you through to the next attendant to direct you to park.  Lock up your car (take a pic of your parking location) then proceed to Bldg 324.  Let me know if you have questions.  I've done this port 3 times and I still get a bit confused😜

The parking lot lines are usually gone by Noon, but there will be a line in the terminal to get through check-in and security. Plan on it taking 30-45 minutes to actually board the ship after you park is my rough estimate.

So, if you arrive at 12:30 I would say given my experience you will be walking onto the ship right around 1, 1:15.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

Emmett is doing something right at 18.5 years old!!  What ports are you visiting?

We are going to Nassau and Half Moon Cay. We've been to Nassau several times but still are finding new things to do there. Half Moon Cay will be a first for us.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

Getting a cabana?

No, we're not really beach people. We're going to spend some time on the ship using the waterpark while it's hopefully empty and then go out on the island look around a little, have lunch and then maybe swim for about an hour.

2 minutes ago, Bollycats said:

No, we're not really beach people. We're going to spend some time on the ship using the waterpark while it's hopefully empty and then go out on the island look around a little, have lunch and then maybe swim for about an hour.

Sounds like a great day!  When in Nassau, DH and I trek up the hill to John Watling's distillery for the best pina colada ever!  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

Sounds like a great day!  When in Nassau, DH and I trek up the hill to John Watling's distillery for the best pina colada ever!  

The distillery is my wife and I's new stop in Nassau as well, we have only been to the distillery three times I think but it is really cool. We went on the tour once but now we just order a pina colada and sit on the porch for a bit.

That's definitely a great idea, thanks. This time we're heading to the chocolate factory and cigar factory at the Graycliff Hotel. Then a little shopping on Bay St on our way to the Fish Fry (never been before) and finally, our usual stop, Senor Frogs for a drink and nachos and to watch all the crazy partiers. 

22 minutes ago, Bollycats said:

That's definitely a great idea, thanks. This time we're heading to the chocolate factory and cigar factory at the Graycliff Hotel. Then a little shopping on Bay St on our way to the Fish Fry (never been before) and finally, our usual stop, Senor Frogs for a drink and nachos and to watch all the crazy partiers. 

We walk down the Graycliff Hotel street on our way to John Watling's.  It's very charming! Is Fish Fry on Arawak Cay?

30 minutes ago, Bollycats said:

The cigar factory at the Graycliffe Hotel is great.

Make sure to ask if they'll let you take a quick tour through the hotel grounds. (if they aren't super busy they have for us before)

Its like walking through a swanky 1920's-30's Beverly Hills Hotel.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mz-s said:

The distillery is my wife and I's new stop in Nassau as well, we have only been to the distillery three times I think but it is really cool. We went on the tour once but now we just order a pina colada and sit on the porch for a bit.

That's what DH and I do as well.  Next cruise is a family cruise over Thanksgiving and we are taking our DDs (20 &22) there so they can try the best pina colada ever!😃

45 minutes ago, bguppies said:

Make sure to ask if they'll let you take a quick tour through the hotel grounds. (if they aren't super busy they have for us before)

I think I came in the back way when I visited. It reminded me of the Corelone compound in The Godfather.

1 hour ago, ninjacat123 said:

We walk down the Graycliff Hotel street on our way to John Watling's.  It's very charming! Is Fish Fry on Arawak Cay?

It's either Fish Fry or Arawak Cay.  I believe the the area is Arawak Cay and the street is Fish Fry Street.  We were there last spring and went to Curly's and Goldie's Conch House.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

It's just down a little bit from señor frogs and past the new Margaritaville resort. I think it's like a 10 to 15 minute walk.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bguppies said:

We did a tour of the hotel on our last last stop there back in 2019. Beautiful hotel! But somehow we missed the chocolate factory and the cigar factory so we are not going to miss them this time!

• Like 1