NewJersey or Baltimore?

packedandready

Looking at the same itinerary. One on Vision from Baltimore. Other on Liberty from New Jersey. We’re fine with either ship. Never been to the north east so my question is which airport / cruise port is the easiest to navigate. Will fly in at least one day prior and will need transportation from airport to hotel, hotel to cruise port. ANY information is appreciated. 

19 minutes ago, packedandready said:

Looking at the same itinerary. One on Vision from Baltimore. Other on Liberty from New Jersey. We’re fine with either ship. Never been to the north east so my question is which airport / cruise port is the easiest to navigate. Will fly in at least one day prior and will need transportation from airport to hotel, hotel to cruise port. ANY information is appreciated. 

I do not think there is much of a difference re: navigation, but because I would prefer spending the night before in Baltimore, near the port, than in North Jersey either at Newark airport or near the port (not much choice there), I would opt for Baltimore — though the long haul down and then back up Chesapeake Bay would strike me as making the itineraries not that similar. Heading on a northern or southern itinerary would seem to make a difference for one port over the other.

I would also look at fare and schedule differences re: flights.

Edited by navybankerteacher

If you do Liberty - the day prior (or several days prior) you could do some amazing sightseeing around NYC.  If you didn't want to stay in NYC (cost is a factor) you could fly into Newark and stay vicinity of Jersey City (easy public transportation to NYC).   Plenty of restaurants all within walking distance.   We got a great deal at the Westin - easy walk to the Metro.  Will uber from airport / hotel / port / airport.   We stayed in NYC previously and splurged on hotel at Times Square (very $$$) but what an amazing and very memorable trip.  

6 hours ago, packedandready said:

Looking at the same itinerary. One on Vision from Baltimore. Other on Liberty from New Jersey. ANY information is appreciated. 

I would use cost as the determining factor. Newark airport not NY airports would be your choice as it is 10 miles from Cape LIberty. BWI is the same distance to Cruise Maryland.

If you select Liberty & fly into Newark, the best airport hotels are located in Elizabeth NJ along International Dr as they allow for choice of dining. Other EWR area hotels are isolated and limited in food choices. Use station P4 of the airtrain(monorail) for hotel shuttles. You could stay in downtown Newark. Double Tree Penn Station has an airport shutlle and is connected to NY Penn Station for easy transit into NYC via NJ Transit trains.

Hotels in Jersey City will not have EWR shuttle service but the hotels along the waterfront provide spectacular views of lower Manhattan and the shortest travel time into NYC via PATH trains. If your stay is only the day prior to boarding, I would rule out Jersey City.

On 9/23/2022 at 10:26 AM, navybankerteacher said:

I would opt for Baltimore — though the long haul down and then back up Chesapeake Bay

The Chesapeake Bay is beautiful and imo cruising the length of it would be an added bonus to your cruise.

Southwest has many inexpensive flights into BWI.

If you only have one day, there are many things to do in Baltimore close to the port including Ft. McHenry.

44 minutes ago, 0106 said:

The Chesapeake Bay is beautiful and imo cruising the length of it would be an added bonus to your cruise.

Southwest has many inexpensive flights into BWI.

If you only have one day, there are many things to do in Baltimore close to the port including Ft. McHenry.

Yes it is - but when you sail from Baltimore, much of your time to the Virginia Capes will be in the dark — as will most of your returning hours up the bay.  

But, I was really questioning how similar the itineraries would be.  Sailing from Cape Liberty puts you in the Atlantic by early evening, while sailing from Baltimore puts you in the Atlantic early morning the next day - several hundred miles to the south. If both sailings were to Bermuda, the itineraries would be similar;  otherwise, not so much.

On 9/25/2022 at 8:28 AM, navybankerteacher said:

Yes it is - but when you sail from Baltimore, much of your time to the Virginia Capes will be in the dark — as will most of your returning hours up the bay.  

But, I was really questioning how similar the itineraries would be.  Sailing from Cape Liberty puts you in the Atlantic by early evening, while sailing from Baltimore puts you in the Atlantic early morning the next day - several hundred miles to the south. If both sailings were to Bermuda, the itineraries would be similar;  otherwise, not so much.

Vision - Baltimore....Sea day, Boston (8-6), Portland (8-6), Bar Harbor (8-6), St John (7-5), Halifax (11-7), Sea day, Sea Day, Baltimore.

Liberty - New Jersey... Sea, Boston (8-6). Portland (8-6), Bar Harbor (8-6), Sea day, St John (8:30-8:30), Sea day, New Jersey