Am I Going Crazy or is Discovery Princess in Vancouver? On Sunday Morning?

phroggie

One of my pewters downloads the picture from Discovery Princess's webcam as it's updated and come Sunday I assemble them into a time lapse movie. (Please don't ask why.) I also frequently check the website.

So I go to the website around 06:45 PDT and I don't see the Magnolia Bridge. Checking the folder that holds the week's downloads and start going back. I can see dawn breaking between 06:00 and 07:00 PDT so the site is being updated correctly. Going further back, I can see her docking at 02:00 PDT. As of 07:24 PDT when I'm writing this she's still there.

Now I've never been to either Seattle, Victoria or Vancouver but what I'm seeing is consistent with the ship being in Vancouver.

Am I crazy? (Other than the fact that I obsessively collect time lapses of future cruises?)

It is Vancouver and if you look at the bridge cam it says Alongside Vancouver Canada. I haven't looked at the schedule but this is the repositioning time of the year so sometimes ships are here on different days  than usual or even just once before ending the season.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, helby said:

It is Vancouver and if you look at the bridge cam it says Alongside Vancouver Canada. I haven't looked at the schedule but this is the repositioning time of the year so sometimes ships are here on different days  than usual or even just once before ending the season.

Face plant. Duh.

That never occurred to me and of course it's a most logical explanation. Logical though not as exciting as some of the scenarios I was imagining.

Thanx for screwing my head back on correctly.

And, yes, if one were to actually look at the top and actually read it instead of expecting to see something else and seeing "ViCtORia" instead seeing the "VanCOuveR" that's actually there.

So, yes, you've confirmed two facts: the ship is not in Seattle and I am indeed crazy.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

With this ship tracker, you will always know where the Discovery Princess is, where it is heading, and the speed, and wave conditions without doubt. With the webcams, sometimes is out of service and they show a distorted image and incorrect heading information at times. You can also zoom in or out for bigger view.

https://www.cruisemapper.com/?imo=9837468  

Edited by TravelDan99

1 hour ago, Mike45LC said:

Froggie, you ask this as if the two choices are mutually exclusive.  Please consider whether both might be true, namely that you are crazy AND the ship is in Vancouver! 😇

You've been talking to my wife, haven't you? What's worse is that she happens to be a clinical psychologist.

• Haha 2

Discovery is in Vancouver today (Sunday), completing a 5-day mini-Alaska cruise (her last of the season) and then departing on a 6-day West Coast cruise to LA to start her Fall/Winter season of California Coastal and Mexican cruises..  

Edited by koreakruiser
added future seasonal info
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, koreakruiser said:

Discovery is in Vancouver today (Sunday), completing a 5-day mini-Alaska cruise (her last of the season) and then departing on a 6-day West Coast cruise to LA to start her Fall/Winter season of California Coastal and Mexican cruises..  

Yes Discovery is in Vancouver today, but it was NOT a 5-day mini alaska cruise, it was a full 7 day sailing. It departed last Sunday from Seattle and sailed Ketchikan, sea day, Endicott Arm & Dawes Glacier then Juneau, Sitka, and two sea days, and into Vancouver this morning.  We had a wonderful time.

Edited by MileHighAko
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, MileHighAko said:

Yes Discovery is in Vancouver today, but it was NOT a 5-day mini alaska cruise, it was a full 7 day sailing. It departed last Sunday from Seattle and sailed Ketchikan, sea day, Endicott Arm & Dawes Glacier then Juneau, Sitka, and two sea days, and into Vancouver this morning.  We had a wonderful time.

I stand corrected, ☹️ yes it was a 7-day cruise as you describe.  I was reading the Crown 17-22 Sep SEA-VAN cruise by mistake.  In any case I wish I could have been there.  We sailed the Discovery's maiden and 2d cruises in Mar-Apr.  A beautiful ship.😄

Because of the PVSA all ships that did a round trip out of Seattle would have to do a one day cruise (or more) from Seattle to Vancouver before returning to California.  (Example:  They are not allowed to sail from Seattle to Los Angeles).

What was even more “alarming” is that the Royal and the Discovery left/are leaving near midnight.  Both arrived by 8 AM.  The Royal on Saturday; the Discovery on Sunday.  The Grand will leave at the normal time 4:30 on Monday.  

3 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Because of the PVSA all ships that did a round trip out of Seattle would have to do a one day cruise (or more) from Seattle to Vancouver before returning to California.  (Example:  They are not allowed to sail from Seattle to Los Angeles).

A ship could sail from Seattle to Los Angeles without any passengers

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

What was even more “alarming” is that the Royal and the Discovery left/are leaving near midnight.  Both arrived by 8 AM.  The Royal on Saturday; the Discovery on Sunday.  The Grand will leave at the normal time 4:30 on Monday.  

Someone on board in the roll call shared that the Royal class ships have to wait for low tide to be able to clear the Lions Gate Bridge. 

Edit: it may not always have to wait for low tide, but Sunday’s tides were on the high side of the tidal range. 

Edited by tiggerrr