August flights London

Pearl64

We are taking a cruise round trip out of Southampton August 18-30, 2023 on the new Vista. It is too early to book flights but I am trying to figure our best routing. We would like a nonstop flight from Atlanta or Charlotte. Leaving out of GSP risks cancelling the short flight. Prices seem high and don’t know if they will come down so not sure if we should wait or book when flights open up. We have miles with both Delta and United but not sure we have enough. United has crazy connections which we don’t like. Delta seems our best bet but am wondering if Virgin Atlantic could be an option. I read they are joining SkyMiles next year. We would like to be in Comfort + or Premium Select. I also checked Premium Economy on British Air. BA has flights out of Charleston but not every day. There will be two of us. I know this is a crap shot but trying to figure out our best options. Thanks to any suggestions given.

Assume you are flying to LHR?  It’s too early to book this.  Booking so early practically guarantees you’ll have schedule change/s before next year, and routing seems to be important to you.  You can check mileage required by doing a dummy booking.  If you use miles, you can book on way on one airline, and the return on an other.  I don’t see “crazy” connections on UA, just one stop (IAD or EWR).

Edited by 6rugrats

2 hours ago, 6rugrats said:

Assume you are flying to LHR?  It’s too early to book this.  Booking so early practically guarantees you’ll have schedule change/s before next year, and routing seems to be important to you. 

Another issue is that I assume airlines are currently basing 2023 Summer Europe travel fares on the incredible demand of 2022 Summer Europe travel. Maybe 2023 will be as high in demand, but it very well may not be (especially if the Euro/Pound start gaining anything back against the US Dollar). Waiting a bit will allow for the possibility of the fares adjusting themselves (giggity) based on demand or lack thereof. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Free2bMeForever said:

Flew round trip Virgin Atlantic/Delta in Upper Class/Delta One from CHS to LHR about 6 weeks ago for $2200.  If I had flown round trip from ATL, I would have paid $3200 and still had to get to ATL and back.  Sometimes the short flights save you money;-)

They do sometimes, yeah. The economics and pricing are based on the origin and destination, not necessarily where it's going through or how many flights/legs are involved. So, for example, if an airline views that the demand is lower from CHS-LHR than it is from ATL-LHR, the CHS-ATL-LHR flight could be cheaper despite you transferring on to the exact same ATL-LHR leg, if that makes sense.