RFID card and hole punch

Hello, my family and I are going on Oasis Oct. 16.  Has Oasis started using the RFID cards?  I used to bring a hole punch and put my card on a lanyard. Now I'm hearing some ships have RFID cards and you cannot do this.  Even if it is an RFID card, doesn't the strip just run down part of the card that I could still use a hole punch?

2 minutes ago, rmzlvacationers said:

Even if it is an RFID card, doesn't the strip just run down part of the card that I could still use a hole punch?

No, that is a magnetic stripe - RFID cards have a chip and antenna embedded in the card. Yes, Oasis has switched to that technology but if you know where to punch  (away from the electronics in the card) you can still do it.

Edited by Biker19

RFID cards don't have a black magnetic strip, but a chip and an antenna, which is basically a thin wire which is inbedded in the card near the edge, in a loop. If you interupt the loop by punching a hole, the card won't work anymore.

Why not use a plastic card sleeve on the lanyard?

19 minutes ago, rmzlvacationers said:

Hello, my family and I are going on Oasis Oct. 16.  Has Oasis started using the RFID cards?  I used to bring a hole punch and put my card on a lanyard. Now I'm hearing some ships have RFID cards and you cannot do this.  Even if it is an RFID card, doesn't the strip just run down part of the card that I could still use a hole punch?

Use the flashlight on your phone and hold it next to the seapass card and you will be able to see the chip and antenna so tha you know where to safely punch.

• Like 2

yes, using a plastic sleeve would be an alternative but figured it would be a pain in the butt everytime I have to use it to have to fish it out of the sleeve.  No sleeve is much quicker. But its not a big deal if I have to use a sleeve I will.

Do like the idea of using the flashlight to find out a safe place to punch.

Thanks all for the great ideas!  Much appreciated.

20 minutes ago, rmzlvacationers said:

yes, using a plastic sleeve would be an alternative but figured it would be a pain in the butt everytime I have to use it to have to fish it out of the sleeve.  No sleeve is much quicker. But its not a big deal if I have to use a sleeve I will.

Do like the idea of using the flashlight to find out a safe place to punch.

Thanks all for the great ideas!  Much appreciated.

RFID card technology means the card NEVER has to be removed from the sleeve. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PolicromaSol said:

Yeah, used to work at an office that used RFID cards. We always kept them in sleeves, assuming we didn't just stuff them in the back of our phone case. We could always scan them without fuss.

When I worked for a company that had RFID cards doubling as our ID badges, I used one of these clipped to my belt.  It could also be clipped to a lanyard.

image.png.a374af7cc2364a74d0c1ecf919793a81.png