WOW !!! What is up with Amsterdam hotels??

1 minute ago, Ashland said:

Best of luck to you. I know you'll find a hotel that will provide the service you need. Try checking the Movenpick Hotel some on our rollcall stayed there which is right next door to the cruise terminal.

Enjoy Amsterdam and all your travels.

Actually, I called the Movenpick last year and was told that they do not have luggage service to the ship and that you have to get your own luggage out of the hotel.  Also, it is fully booked for our time as the cruiselines book that hotel.

Our search continues...

Thanks for your help - I really do appreciate it, as it would have been a disaster with our luggage at the Banks Mansion.  We just assumed that there would be bellmen, based on their high prices.

Canuck

3 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Be careful booking some places in Amsterdam  as they do not have elevators  & some are just big enough for 2 PPL & 2 cases

Movenpick  by the port  or Barbizon Palace  might work for you  if they have availability

not 5*  but convenient locations

LHT28 - yes, we always look for an elevator.  Movenpick does not help with luggage to the ship, as I called them & they are sold out anyways.  Barbizon Palace is one we are just looking at now.

Thanks for your suggestions,

Canuck

8 minutes ago, CanuckCruizer said:

Actually, I called the Movenpick last year and was told that they do not have luggage service to the ship and that you have to get your own luggage out of the hotel.  Also, it is fully booked for our time as the cruiselines book that hotel.

Our search continues...

it is  like 100 m  walk to the port from the hotel

Do you have luggage with wheels ??

other options

Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky  

The Grand Amsterdam by Sofital

3 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

it is  like 100 m  walk to the port from the hotel

Do you have luggage with wheels ??

😄Yes, but each person cannot pull two large 50 lb cases and a full regulation size carry-on, plus a large purse & computer bag.  We expected the Movenpick to be like our Pan Pacific or Fairmont Waterfront here, where they deliver the luggage to the ship - but, unfortunately, it is not.

For the amount of money that the hotels are charging (of course our Canadian dollar does not help), we expect there to be bellmen.  We have stayed numerous times in Europe - in Venice (had all of our cases loaded onto a water taxi and delivered to the hotel with no problem), Barcelona, Rome and Carihuela - no problems.  

Canuck

3 minutes ago, CanuckCruizer said:

😄Yes, but each person cannot pull two large 50 lb cases and a full regulation size carry-on, plus a large purse & computer bag.  We expected the Movenpick to be like our Pan Pacific or Fairmont Waterfront here, where they deliver the luggage to the ship - but, unfortunately, it is not.

For the amount of money that the hotels are charging (of course our Canadian dollar does not help), we expect there to be bellmen.  We have stayed numerous times in Europe - in Venice (had all of our cases loaded onto a water taxi and delivered to the hotel with no problem), Barcelona, Rome and Carihuela - no problems.  

Canuck

LOL

I am sure if you walked  a minute to the port  a porter would bring  a cart to transport your bags  for  a nice tip 😉

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LHT28 said:

LOL

I am sure if you walked  a minute to the port  a porter would bring  a cart to transport your bags  for  a nice tip 😉

I was just amazed at the porters at the Amsterdam port. As soon as our taxi pulled up they were right there with a cart and got our luggage out of the taxi and walked right besides us...unloaded our luggage, tagged it and checked it in. I've never seen this kind of service at a port. Apparently it's just how they do things...Nice !!!

4 hours ago, LHT28 said:

other options

Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky  

The Grand Amsterdam by Sofital

LHT28 - thanks for those suggestions - yes, currently looking at the Krasnapolsky.  Looked at Sofitel before and if I remember correctly, for the room we wanted - too many Euros.

Canuck

20 minutes ago, Ashland said:

I was just amazed at the porters at the Amsterdam port. As soon as our taxi pulled up they were right there with a cart and got our luggage out of the taxi and walked right besides us...unloaded our luggage, tagged it and checked it in. I've never seen this kind of service at a port. Apparently it's just how they do things...Nice !!!

Ashland - well, that is great news!

Now, I will have to start my driver research for airport, hotel and pier rides.

Canuck

47 minutes ago, CanuckCruizer said:

Ashland - well, that is great news!

Now, I will have to start my driver research for airport, hotel and pier rides.

Canuck

We just used the regular Taxi service line out side AMS for our transportation. Worked out for us but seems like you may need a private service at least from AMS to your hotel. Other than that a local Taxi should work also for you to pier and from pier back to AMS. Best of luck.

2 minutes ago, Ashland said:

We just used the regular Taxi service line out side AMS for our transportation. Worked out for us but seems like you may need a private service at least from AMS to your hotel. Other than that a local Taxi should work also for you to pier and from pier back to AMS. Best of luck.

We only need one way to pier as we are sailing away to Athens.😀  We always book transport as regular cab cannot fit all our luggage.😉

Just looked up our Athens hotel to make sure they have bellmen - yep they do!  We are ending in Miami, so don't have to worry about bell service there, thank goodness.

Cheers,

Canuck

• Like 1

20 hours ago, CanuckCruizer said:

Canuck

According to the Dutch Hotel Star Classification, luggage service is compulsory only for five star hotels. Four star hotels might have luggage service on request.

Sadly, Amsterdam is one of the more expensive hotel cities in Europe - although it's not as bad as Miami Beach.

Have you checked the Pestana Riverside Hotel? It's a little bit outside the central canal zone, making it a little bit cheaper than other five star hotels in the city. https://www.pestanacollection.com/en/hotel/pestana-amsterdam-riverside

Edited by rsverdier

1 hour ago, rsverdier said:

According to the Dutch Hotel Star Classification, luggage service is compulsory only for five star hotels. Four star hotels might have luggage service on request.

Sadly, Amsterdam is one of the more expensive hotel cities in Europe - although it's not as bad as Miami Beach.

Have you checked the Pestana Riverside Hotel? It's a little bit outside the central canal zone, making it a little bit cheaper than other five star hotels in the city. https://www.pestanacollection.com/en/hotel/pestana-amsterdam-riverside

rsverdier - thank you for that info - did not know that.  Will check out the link.

Canuck

• Like 1

I was curious so looked up Amsterdam hotels at the end of August.  It does look busy.   Maybe you would be better staying outside of Amsterdam to get the hotel service you require.  The Karel V in Utrecht came up with good prices on a booking website.  The cost of taxi from Schipol and to the port might not be such an obstacle.    Just thinking.