Observations From the Poop Deck Seashore October

morpheusofthesea

21 hours ago, mafig said:

This may be too soon to inquire but.....any way you can find out if the October 29 itinerary is fully booked ????  It's a 8 dayer vs. 7.  Just wondering.  We'll be in the YC.

Impossible to know. Would be lucky to find out numbers for next weeks cruise at the end of this one. 

IMG_2270.jpg

Morpheusofthesea.. Did you end up attending the wine tasting? I enjoy wines, but am FAR from being an expert. I went on a wine tasting of Royal Caribbean some years ago and enjoyed. I am excited to see the wine cellar, however I heard there is actually very little that goes on in it.

2 hours ago, pappahbuttz said:

Morpheusofthesea.. Did you end up attending the wine tasting? I enjoy wines, but am FAR from being an expert. I went on a wine tasting of Royal Caribbean some years ago and enjoyed. I am excited to see the wine cellar, however I heard there is actually very little that goes on in it.

No I did not attend.  I stopped drinking when the pandemic hit. I was afraid of my obesity being a comorbidity and I am not the kind of taster to begin with that sniffs, swirls, gurgles to aerate and then spits it out. My wine tastings were "good to the last drop " which was the entire bottle. It took several months into the pandemic, but I lost 50 lbs. I attribute my weight loss to 'clean living', but I am not necessarily happier.

As for the reports of little activity in the 'wine cellar' I am reminded of a quote by Will Rogers "People that pay for things don't complain. It's the guy you give something to that you can't please." If the tastings were complimentary there would be a line a mile long, standing room only complaining about the selection

• Like 1

This is a photo of the film crew filming the delights offered at the Venchi kiosk today. They were very apologetic and asked us to step back while they took shots. Spoke to one gentleman who was the official in the MSC marketing office out of Ft. Lauderdale. He had only one question for us which we found interesting. He was told that one of the biggest complaints cruisers have of MSC is that there are too many international passengers on their ships. We expressed our preference for MSC because of its international mix. 

• Like 2

Of course, can no longer upload again. Anyway, during lunch in the YC Restaurant we witnessed a tall skinny blonde jumping up and down near the piano in the aisle between the sofas. Thought that was odd as she was a little older and more mature than to be jumping up and down like she was. Then I saw this gentleman with a beard coaching her and demonstrating the jump he wanted her to copy. I thought he was coaching her for a belly flopping contest at the Long Island Pool. We walked down the Swarovski crystal staircase to the TSL as the bearded gentleman was dismantling his tripod saying to her the photos will be different in time-lapse. More MSC filming in the TSL.

14 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Thanks for the video.  I have never seen one of those machines in action.  

Neither have I! So much so that I went to show my wife the video to prove that they actually do use them 🤣😂🤣

Here is an obvious, but much overlooked, observation gotten from casual conversation with staff. We docked in Cozumel yesterday and we were asked if we would be getting off the ship. Said we were remaining on board and asked if they had the opportunity to get off. They replied they did have the opportunity and much wanted to go to an Asian restaurant popular with crew in Cozumel, but wanted to see how many ships would be docked at the same port before they made their decision. That they only had so much time off and did not want to waste it waiting to be served. That even many times when crowded the food is just not the same in quantity or quality.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Thanks for the video.  I have never seen one of those machines in action.  

The only problem is one has to be 'in the right place at the wrong time'. The divider between cabins shields ones view of this apparatus approach. My first encounter was on the Seaside when I was all toweled on the balcony typing away my observations and not observing the obvious noise of the approaching machine. I stopped typing as the machine came around the divider and I got drenched. I filmed the aftermath to everyones delight, but mine.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Read the other day a post on social media that Carnival has instituted a new policy warning passengers of their new 40 minute rule on chair hogging. Crew have been placing a tape with the time written on abandoned lounges and instructed to remove personal effects from loungers for safe keeping. This may be in response to recent fights on board ?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Read the other day a post on social media that Carnival has instituted a new policy warning passengers of their new 40 minute rule on chair hogging. Crew have been placing a tape with the time written on abandoned lounges and instructed to remove personal effects from loungers for safe keeping. This may be in response to recent fights on board ?

It's not new, maybe expanded from usage in the Serenity area.  When we last sailed Carnival in 2017, they were putting the notes on unoccupied chairs in that Adults only area, and they gathered belongings back then.  Perhaps they are doing that ship wide now.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Limited seating at wine tasting. Saw only 12 place settings. 

Yacht Club must be of more interest to those outside the YC. Today there has been three tours of 10-15 passengers being shown the enclave.

We did that wine tasting on our cruise.  The sommelier was very knowledgeable, but boy was he a talker!

Regarding the YC tours...I never saw that happen when we were on Seashore and frankly, I'd be annoyed.  One tour maybe, but three!!  I know how it sounds and I don't care.  There are plenty of YOUTUBE video tours of the YC out there. I wonder if it's some sore of port excursion you can sign up for...NCL tried something similar before the shutdown.  They allowed the Haven restaurant to be booked by non Haven passengers as a specialty dining option.  There was such an outcry that it was almost immediately aborted.

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 1