Envogram_Blue_600x255_INFO-Ocean_v2.jpg

In Search Of The Northern Lights
London (Tilbury) to Bergen

Booking Number: 6414050
Mr Lawrence Luke
Ms Margaret Hansen

06OCT2022

Dear Viking Guest,

Thank you for choosing Viking for your upcoming In Search Of The Northern Lights voyage. We would like to take a moment to advise you of a change in your itinerary.

It has unfortunately become necessary to alter your itinerary due to a number of variables. We have explored the available options to provide you with the best possible experience during your journey. We apologize for any disappointment this change may cause; however, we trust you will find the alternative arrangements enjoyable.

We will no longer visit Bodø, Norway and Stavanger, Norway, and will instead visit Amsterdam and have an extra day at sea. We apologize for any inconvenience this change may cause; however, we trust you will find the alternative arrangements enjoyable.

Please note, we are preparing an updated shore excursion program and you will have the opportunity to book shore excursions in Amsterdam along with your other destinations. If you have booked any optional shore excursions in Bodø and Stavanger, they will be credited to the original form of payment within 21 business days.

Your updated itinerary can be found below:

Day

Original Itinerary

Revised Itinerary

Day 1

London (Tilbury), United Kingdom 

London (Tilbury), United Kingdom 

Day 2

Sail the North Sea

Amsterdam (Ijmuiden), Netherlands

Day 3

Stavanger, Norway

Sail the Norwegian Sea

Day 4

Sail the Norwegian Sea

Scenic sailing: Norwegian Inside Passage

Day 5

Bodø, Norway

Narvik, Norway

Day 6

Tromsø, Norway

Tromsø, Norway 

Day 7

Tromsø, Norway

Tromsø, Norway 

Day 8

Alta, Norway

Alta, Norway 

Day 9

Alta, Norway

Alta, Norway

Day 10

Narvik, Norway

Day 11

Sail the Norwegian Sea

Day 12

Bergen, Norway

Bergen, Norway

Day 13

Bergen, Norway

Bergen, Norway 

To see your updated itinerary in full, please visit MyVikingJourney.com.

Should you have any questions regarding this update before your departure, please contact your Travel Advisor or Viking at 1-855-300-3970,  Sunday - Saturday, 5:00 AM to 7:00 PM, PT.

We look forward to welcoming you on board and wish you a wonderful journey.

Sincerely,

Viking

7 hours ago, kcpvwill said:

Not surprised about Bodo,  it appears to have been missed many times this year.  

If I remember correctly, last year none of the Northern Norway trips were able to get into Bodo due to weather, winds. 

9 minutes ago, janetcbl said:

If I remember correctly, last year none of the Northern Norway trips were able to get into Bodo due to weather, winds. 

This is correct.  We were on the January 24, 2022 Northern Lights cruise and missed Bodo because of high winds and rough seas.  We made a last minute stop at Trondheim instead which replaced  Bodo. In following the other roll calls that season, none of the '22 NL cruises made it to Bodo.  I had heard that the port of Bodo can be challenging to reach in winter, especially in poor weather conditions.   

None of the '22 NL cruises went to Stavanger either.  On our cruise and several others that season, Stavanger was replaced with the Shetland Islands (Lerwick).  We were told onboard that this was because of a port requirement, something about Viking needing to stop at a port outside of Norway and the London stop didn't count.  Unfortunately, none of us made it to Lerwick either because of high winds.  We got an extra sea day on our cruise.  Despite the itinerary changes and all the Covid restrictions we experience,  we had a great time of this cruise... and saw the lights!

I'm surprised that Viking hasn't updated the itinerary of this cruise on their website, especially given the need to replace Stavanger with a port outside of Norway (if that indeed was the reason we skipped Stavanger). 

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice itinerary. I'm wondering how often they were able to call at Bodo anyway. Often weather-related issues from what I've heard. We never made it there, nor Stavanger, nor Tilbury for that matter. Our itinerary ended rather abruptly. We had really looked forward to the post-cruise extension in London too. 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Very nice itinerary. I'm wondering how often they were able to call at Bodo anyway. Often weather-related issues from what I've heard. We never made it there, nor Stavanger, nor Tilbury for that matter. Our itinerary ended rather abruptly. We had really looked forward to the post-cruise extension in London too. 

So, was Tilbury supposed to be your ending port?  Where did you end up?  How are flights handled in a case like that?  I've never heard of that before.

4 hours ago, VaTraveler46 said:

So, was Tilbury supposed to be your ending port?  Where did you end up?  How are flights handled in a case like that?  I've never heard of that before.

Suggest you research Viking Sky, March 2019, might clear up your questions

• Like 3

6 hours ago, VaTraveler46 said:

Where did you end up? 

Initially, about a ship's length away from crashing into the rocky shore off the coast of Hustadvika. Then, the ship eventually ended up at Molde basically under its own power but with tugboat assistance.  

As Haworth mentioned, it's worth looking up our rather unique experience. Haworth was also a passenger on the Sky during the episode I'm referring to. 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, VaTraveler46 said:

When the 2020 World Cruise ended in Dubai, Viking arranged all the flights. Once the local airline shut down operations, Viking chartered an aircraft to fly the remaining US citizen back to the USA. The 8 Canadians remained on board for another 3 weeks, until Viking found a port and airport that would accept us.

Viking both arranged and paid for the flights.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Initially, about a ship's length away from crashing into the rocky shore off the coast of Hustadvika. Then, the ship eventually ended up at Molde basically under its own power but with tugboat assistance.  

As Haworth mentioned, it's worth looking up our rather unique experience. Haworth was also a passenger on the Sky during the episode I'm referring to. 

Thank you.  I know about the Sky.  I somehow missed where you said that was the cruise you were on. Mea culpa.

On 10/7/2022 at 8:38 AM, janetcbl said:

Correct. We were on the last sailing of Northern lights in March 2022, and we didn't get Bodo, or any of the last 3 ports. And none of the other sailings did either.  Change is probably for the best!

• Like 2