Koningsdam Cabin Location Advice For Multi-Generational Trip

dlca1

Hi CC-HAL Group!

I recently posted a thread over on the Princess Board asking for advice on planning our first multi-generational Alaska cruise.  Got a ton of useful advice.  After initially deciding on a newer/larger Princess ship, several folks suggested I seriously consider HAL and the Koningsdam. I had never considered a Holland America cruise. After watching some videos/reading reviews, the Koningsdam immediately felt like a perfect fit.  (Perfect itinerary on a smaller ship, great looking food, modern looking decor and amenities)

I'm now hoping to get a second opinion from HAL experts on my cabin selection.

Some Background:

- We are five families/10 people/three generations. 

- I've booked 6 rooms (4 Obstructed Balcony VH that are next to each other +  2 Inside I)

- I like to get good value for my money.

- I'll be paying for all 6 rooms, so each "upgrade" quickly multiplies and adds up.

- The grandparents have been on a couple of cruises and book inside for themselves. We are thinking their first balcony room (even though obstructed) will be a nice upgrade. Can get some air, still look outside. Balcony dividers will get opened up.

1) me, wife, two kids. Booked two connecting rooms: VH4120, VH4122. 4120 has the larger balcony
2) grandfather VH4144
3) grandfather/grandmother VH4146
4) sister I4121
5) brother and kid I4125

I think everybody will be happy to just be on the cruise. We don't need the absolute best/optimal room location. However, I want to make sure I avoid any duds. The ship was relatively empty, so I can still easily pick other rooms. Willing to spend a little more if we get a lot more value.

Questions/advice.

-  Is this a decent general location/block of rooms? Want to make sure the rooms aren't noisy.  I'm not positive how to read the maps to figure out what is noisy/not. We haven't sailed much, so I picked the middle for stability.

- These rooms are port. Itinerary is inside passage round-trip out of Vancouver. Does port/starboard matter much.

- I see conflicting reports. Does it really matter if the views are blocked by tenders (where my rooms are) vs life-boats?

- Club Orange is available for this sailing for $25/pp/day. The ship was pretty empty this far out. Many other Veranda rooms are available (including some V and Spa).  For example, a few days ago, VA8116,8118,8120, 8122 + I8100/8102 were available as an upgrade.  Worth the Club Orange x 10 people for our scenario?

Thanks in advance for any advice/tips. I just want to make sure everybody has a great time.  Planning becomes extra stressful, because wrong choices get amplified!

Edited by dlca1

Your choice of rooms shows that you have made careful choices.  Opening the dividers will give you a nice deck area even if behind lifeboats.  Do you have a TA or a HAL rep working to book this for you?  There are a lot of pitfalls you need to avoid if you are trying to do this online by yourself. You need to link your bookings so that HAL doesn’t make any changes.   Koningsdam is a lovely ship and deck 4 mid aft is near the dining venues and below staterooms so it should be reasonably quiet.  It’s my favorite location but I can’t advise about the obstructed staterooms.

Club Orange would cost a lot more and is not worth it unless you were hoping to use it for the upgrade to Deck 8 which I would not do.  It is under the Lido which would probably be somewhat noisy.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would never consider the staterooms on Deck 11 because of the small balconies but a recent cruiser pointed out that for his family they were near the sports deck  for the kids and the Crows Nest for scenic inside cruising and near the Lido.  Port or starboard is not an issue.  Sailing out of Vancouver is pretty smooth compared to sailing out of Seattle.  The area on Deck 4 aft is a nice area with easy access to the dining room, Grand Dutch Cafe, the promenade deck and the shops.

• Thanks 1

Thank you @oaktreerb

I appreciate getting the quick and reassuring feedback from an experienced HAL cruiser. 

It sounds like there aren’t any red flags with the current room locations. Wonderful. 

Thanks also for the warning. I called into the 800 HAL number because I couldn’t book advantage fares online.  Reservations are all linked and marked as do not upgrade. Based on another thread, I understand I can optionally move my reservation to an outside TA later and the agent who helped me still gets full credit. I may investigate that since it seems like some TA’s or big box store offer better rebates or on board credits. 

There happens to be a one day promotion for  $1 deposit that is good for today only. (I’m not familiar enough with HAL to know how often these pop up.)  Made it easy to pull the trigger. It did require me to change from Advantage to “have it all” fare. This buys me a little time to figure things out with a much smaller deposit. The group doesn’t really drink, so I will change it back to a different plan/rate once our plans firm up.

Using a good TA should provide  some nice onboard credits or other perks, besides them helping if you need some help along the way. Make sure you make the transfer to them before the option expires. ( I’m not sure how long that is….30 days?). 

• Like 1

I think the obscured/partially obscured cabins on Deck 4 to be hidden gems. I have booked them, especially the 'end ones' that have the triangular verandah... however, all of those bookings had to be cancelled so I can't speak from EXPERIENCE.

I think you have chosen wisely! and good to jump on the $1 deposit. I froze in place like a deer in the headlights! (No it doesn't happen often. Reduced deposits, yes, but not $1!)

As far as the HaveItAll, there is a lot more included than just the Signature Beverage Plan, and the SBP includes more than alcoholic beverages. We very much enjoy it! Do your research before you cancel it. Also remember it doesn't have to be bought for each room, although no sharing allowed.

• Like 1

@oakridger Thanks. Will look into TA's. I think the trick is finding a good one!  I used one for a Disney cruise and wish I didn't bother.  I wish the community could refer trusted TA's on CC.  I can see how that could be a big can of worms.

@crystalspin  Thanks for sharing that VH on Deck4 is a solid choice,  I'll research the HaveItAll a bit more.

• Like 1

I've always liked deck 4, except for the fore section.  You could find that the World Theatre might get noise, as you are above it.  Mid is not much of anything, and aft is the 2nd level of the MDR.

If you do decide to do Club Orange and want to stay on that level, the extended balconies (VB) at the aft were great for us.  We were on the Koningsdam and had 3 verandahs side by side by side, and we could easily fit 5 on one balcony.

L.

IMG_8822.JPG

IMG_8835.JPG

IMG_8837.JPG

• Like 2

10 hours ago, leerathje said:

If you do decide to do Club Orange and want to stay on that level, the extended balconies (VB) at the aft were great for us.  We were on the Koningsdam and had 3 verandahs side by side by side, and we could easily fit 5 on one balcony.

Thanks for sharing the pics. That really puts things in perspective. Those decks really are huge! 

They are huge!  As a matter of fact, I have one booked on the Rotterdam next spring. But one other thing to be aware....half of your verandah is open to those on the decks above you as well, so perhaps no "exposed" sunbathing! 😁

L.

• Haha 1