Getting a cab in Rome

NoWhiners

Hi all

I know there are cabs stands and it's hard to hail a cab in Rome but I am wondering if I can get a cab that is dropping someone off. For example, I am at the Colosseum and I'm done touring. If someone else gets out of a cab, can I just ask them to take me someplace or do I have to walk to a cabstand? I'm a little worried because the maps I have show cab stands are several blocks for the Colosseum and DH has a hard time walking long distances. 

We are prepared to use cabs between locations but I need to understand how to use them without seeming like an entitled person?! And, I need to help DH with his hip issues!

10 hours ago, NoWhiners said:

Hi all

For example, I am at the Colosseum and I'm done touring. If someone else gets out of a cab, can I just ask them to take me someplace or do I have to walk to a cabstand?

No law against it.  Just ask them.  They will take you if they want to.  

That's not entitled person behavior, only someone hoping to get a ride.

• Thanks 1

It just occurred to me to ask--will Italian cab drivers speak English or should I just have the address of our hotel written down? I assume that getting to the Vatican and Colosseum and other touristy things don't require actual Italian, but maybe that's wrong?

15 hours ago, NoWhiners said:

It just occurred to me to ask--will Italian cab drivers speak English or should I just have the address of our hotel written down? I assume that getting to the Vatican and Colosseum and other touristy things don't require actual Italian, but maybe that's wrong?

Have the address in hand

• Thanks 1

Don't expect to find English from cab drivers, bus drivers or train conductors.

Do have things written down, it saves time and money.  Be precise, when you say the Vatican, do you mean the museums or St. Peter's basilica?   They are about 1 km (three quarters of a mile) away from each other, so it matters.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Something to keep in mind when catching a cab NOT at a cab stand... you are likely to be charged more and the driver most likely won't use the meter. There were a few times we were exhausted and didn't want to walk to the nearest cab stand (or the nearest cab stand didn't have any cabs) so we would see a cab and hail them and pay their inflated price for the convenience. They'll usually quote you a price at the beginning in such cases. As far as English goes, most of the cabbies we encountered spoke at least a little English but I would plan on having any deep conversations 🙂 

• 2 weeks later...