FAS Plus after Excursions Purchased - Additional Excursion Credit Retroactive?

Erekosse

If you purchase the Free at Sea Plus bundle after purchasing excursion, does the excursion credit for guest #2 apply retroactively? If so, how would be credited the retroactive discount? Back to the credit card used for the excursion? Onboard Credit (hopefully refundable if so)? TIA

NCL"s free at sea offers "free excursions".  These are not free but $50 are applied towards one excursion per port and all their excursions cost much more that $50!  The other catch is that if husband and wife make one reservation, then they get only one credit of $50 and not two.  But if they had made two separate reservations then they will get $50 each!  I wish I had known this before I booked....Has anybody else experienced this before? 

I would give it a few days.  We recently had a snafu where my husband (who normally does not get involved in travel arrangements but does love tech) downloaded the app and (not knowing any better) got himself a brand new lattitudes number.  Suddenly we had a bunch of little charges still due on cruises that were already paid in full and I was getting threatening letters about those cruises being canceled if we didn't pay these little charges.  A few days after straightening out this mess with our PCC we got a bunch of little refunds on our Amex reflecting the discounts he was entitled to without our even making an issue of it.  Not quite the same as the OP's question but very similar. I think they will re-do the math and refund you automatically.

Edited by Travelling2Some

W

On 10/15/2022 at 12:43 PM, Saboaz said:

NCL"s free at sea offers "free excursions".  These are not free but $50 are applied towards one excursion per port and all their excursions cost much more that $50!  The other catch is that if husband and wife make one reservation, then they get only one credit of $50 and not two.  But if they had made two separate reservations then they will get $50 each!  I wish I had known this before I booked....Has anybody else experienced this before? 

Welcome to Cruise Critic.  Agree that the wording in the ads is a bit deceptive.  However, there are actually many excursions that are only $50 and under on many different itineraries, so this can be a worthwhile perk, especially for solo travelers.  The perk is per cabin.  For both you and your wife to receive it you would have to book two separate cabins, one for each of you.  You cannot make two reservations for the same cabin.

8 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Recently looked at a 69.00 excursion on our upcoming Encore cruise in January.  Under my DH, it said 19.00 due and under my name it said 69.00 due. If only my DH took the excursion, he would have paid 19.00 by having the 50.00 credit applied.

My understanding is that it only applies to "the first name" on the reservation.  So, if you took the excursion without him, it would have been $69!

That "free excursions" is really blatantly false adverting.

My husband and I upgraded to the Free at Sea Plus for a future cruise that we have since transferred to a different cruise. We did have excursions booked for the cruise prior to upgrading to Free at Sea Plus. The program was still very new (probably the first or second week), so our PCC didn't know if the excursion credit would automatically be issued or not. She told us to call shore excursions.

We called shore excursions and were told the $50 credit had already been applied for me as second guest, and that a $50 refund had automatically been applied to our card. We verified this on our credit card. In our experience, yes, the credit is automatically issued (and the charge is refunded). You will want to look at your credit card account to be sure this is happening, and it could take a few days. If it doesn't, a call to shore excursions should fix it. 

I hope my experience helps answer your question.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saboaz said:

I stand corrected.  The $50 is per cabin, per port.  If you are sharing the cabin, and both are taking excursions at a port, it is one person that gets assigned the $50 credit.

Just to verify, the person whose name is first on the reservation gets the credit (without the FAS upgrade).

On 10/15/2022 at 7:12 AM, Erekosse said:

If you purchase the Free at Sea Plus bundle after purchasing excursion, does the excursion credit for guest #2 apply retroactively? If so, how would be credited the retroactive discount? Back to the credit card used for the excursion? Onboard Credit (hopefully refundable if so)? TIA

We had purchased our discounts prior to FAS bundle being announced.  Therefore, we received our refund 8 days after retroactively adding the FAS bundle.

Also note, anyone with a Platinum (or above) discount would get back less than $50 per excursion retroactively, because their Latitudes discount would have been applied at the time of purchase.

I had 4 excursions booked, and received $170 refund (due to 15% Latitudes discount).

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

We decided to pick up the Free at Sea Plus offer. I can confirm the automatic crediting. We had four excursions booked prior to the FAS+. We received a credit to the credit card  used to purchase the excursion for the 2nd person for each of the four excursions. The credits appears about six days after the FAS+ purchase.