Snorkeling on MSC private island

coscab

7 hours ago, coscab said:

Can you snorkel on your own on MSC private island?  If snorkeling on your own is allowed do you have to wear a life vest,  I am just trying to know what to pack.

It's terrible IMHO.

Not worth the time or effort. Even the excursion they offer is garbage. They are trying to put lipstick on a pig. Still a pig 

In 10-20 years it will be better. This is a newer island with no real coral growth which in turn means less fish.

Bring water shoes!!!!

Thank you so much for your reply, I think we will skip bringing our snorkel stuff, we have snorkeled some fantastic spots in the Caribbean, our favorite is scotts head on Dominica, such a wonderful spot, we also like the wall on grand turk. 

It usually takes some effort to find good snorkeling, local bus to off the beaten path type spots, we meet so many wonderful locals on the bus.  Found an amazing spot on Curacao but it took an hour bus ride to and from, had the place to ourselves, almost didn't make it in time back to ship, local buses kind of do their own thing,  The picture on my signature is the stairway leading to the beach, it was all that was left of some kind of old resort.

3 hours ago, coscab said:

Thank you so much for your reply, I think we will skip bringing our snorkel stuff, we have snorkeled some fantastic spots in the Caribbean, our favorite is scotts head on Dominica, such a wonderful spot, we also like the wall on grand turk. 

It usually takes some effort to find good snorkeling, local bus to off the beaten path type spots, we meet so many wonderful locals on the bus.  Found an amazing spot on Curacao but it took an hour bus ride to and from, had the place to ourselves, almost didn't make it in time back to ship, local buses kind of do their own thing,  The picture on my signature is the stairway leading to the beach, it was all that was left of some kind of old resort.

I see now you are very experienced. You would have hated it.

We did Dominica again this past March.

Champagne reef is destroyed by the past hurricane a few years back.

On the plus side, though, apart from inferior snorkeling, we think Ocean Cay is the most beautiful of all the private islands.  Just a little piece of Paradise, with no roller coasters or thrill rides.

MSC is working on a turtle hatching program there, apparently with some success.

3 hours ago, coscab said:

Oh no, darn hurricane!  Hope you faired ok during Ian, we live between daytona and st augustine, lots of beach erosion and lost pool screening.

Ian wiped out our summer home at Ft Myers beach. We haven't seen it yet but resort has been condemned last Thursday.

Our Melbourne home survived quite well. No loss of power either.

My folks must be in your area. Palm Coast.

2 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

On the plus side, though, apart from inferior snorkeling, we think Ocean Cay is the most beautiful of all the private islands.  Just a little piece of Paradise, with no roller coasters or thrill rides.

MSC is working on a turtle hatching program there, apparently with some success.

Thank you, that is so great about the turtles, we have seen them hatch on our beach, it is amazing, they need all the help they can get!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/15/2022 at 12:25 PM, coscab said:

Can you snorkel on your own on MSC private island?  If snorkeling on your own is allowed do you have to wear a life vest,  I am just trying to know what to pack.

Snorkeled on both the right side and left side of Lighthouse Bay recently.  Not too many fish, but I thought worth it to bring our own snorkels.  There quite a few fish on the left side of Lighthouse Bay out to where the shark net is (not far at all to swim).  I read about other snorkel spots, but we did not venture there.  

Best place I've ever snorkeled was St. Lucia.  Totally amazing.  Chankanaab was pretty good also.