Princess Shuttle from the Terminal in Yokohama

Bgwest

Daikoku Pier is actually a Cargo Pier that is rarely used by cruise ships - unless the regular Cruise Ship piers are already assigned to others.

Princess may have a shuttle bus. But if they do not, there is a regular bus that caries local workers to the Pier - and back to Yokohama.

17 hours ago, BruceMuzz said:

Daikoku Pier is actually a Cargo Pier that is rarely used by cruise ships - unless the regular Cruise Ship piers are already assigned to others.

Princess may have a shuttle bus. But if they do not, there is a regular bus that caries local workers to the Pier - and back to Yokohama.

From the Princess website:

Pier Address - Diamond Princess
Daikoku Pier Cruise Terminal
13 Daikoku-futo, Tsurumi Ward, Yokohama

I read that the Diamond is too tall to sail under the bridge which is necessary to access any of the other piers hence the docking at the Daikoku Pier. 

I'm not terribly confident that Princess is going to provide a shuttle so I'm happy to hear that there is a regular bus that will be available to us. Thanks @BruceMuzz!!

We have been in Yokohama many times on the Diamond Princess and we always berthed at the Osanbashi Cruise Terminal.  Last time was October, 2017.  From the Cruise Log excerpt of 26 October, 2017:

"We then passed under the Yokohama Bridge before making our approach to the berth and docking at 6:00am".  And on 17 October, 2017:  "Diamond Princess spent the day lying quietly alongside at Osanbashi Cruise Terminal."

I would suggest you inquire from Princess why they are not using the cruise ship terminal in Yokohama.

On 10/16/2022 at 8:07 AM, BruceMuzz said:

And unless the ships are too tall that cannot pass under the bridge and dock at Osanbashi. In recent years, the megaships of Royal Caribbean, Costa and MSC all have to dock at the cargo pier Daikoku. It is now more and more common for the cruise ships to use this pier.

14 hours ago, Bgwest said:

I read that the Diamond is too tall to sail under the bridge which is necessary to access any of the other piers hence the docking at the Daikoku Pier. 

2 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

We have been in Yokohama many times on the Diamond Princess and we always berthed at the Osanbashi Cruise Terminal.

Diamond Princess is a special case. In the past (2019 and before) she was always able to moor at Osanbashi because she could just fit under the bridge.

Starting from 2020, Princess decides to change the embarkation pier to Daikoku for all future voyages of Diamond Princess. I heard that it is because she becomes slightly taller after adding some structures in the most recent refurbishment, so she cannot pass under the bridge anymore.

Nevertheless, Diamond Princess had only moored at Daikoku for twice in January/February 2020. After that there was the pandemic and Diamond Princess has suspended service until now.

It is unclear that if Diamond Princess will keep docking at Daikoku in 2023, or change back to Osanbashi.

In 2020 Princess (or the port authority?) had arranged shuttle bus between Daikoku pier and Motomachi-Chūkagai (Chinatown) Train Station. This was mentioned in the pre-cruise information below in the last few pages, written in Japanese only.

https://www.princesscruises.jp/pdf/JPP2020_answerbook.pdf

Edited by Cruise Wonderland
  • Thanks 2

thank you for this information. I am beginning the long process of planning for an upcoming trip with my family. we prefer to travel independently so location and access to public transportation are important. I did not realize the two ports and i have planning based on the  Osanbashi Cruise Terminal. i will now look at this more carefully.  I have seen video where the diamond princess passes under the bridge ( this must be old )  I appreciate the knowledge , insight and information to help me plan. 

Here is a screenshot from the Japan TV news when Diamond Princess was seriously affected at the beginning of the pandemic in early 2020.

That ill-fated cruise departed from Daikoku, and also returned to Daikoku with many sick passengers. Those were the only two times that she moored at this pier.

Location of Daikoku Pier on Google Map: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Daikoku+Pier+Cruise+Terminal/@35.457502,139.6784679,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x60185d70032063d3:0xfac883c3f1a16a6d!8m2!3d35.4574977!4d139.6806566

image.thumb.png.108914b60d1edb760a891af745345a13.png

On 10/17/2022 at 3:17 AM, Cruise Wonderland said:

And unless the ships are too tall that cannot pass under the bridge and dock at Osanbashi. In recent years, the megaships of Royal Caribbean, Costa and MSC all have to dock at the cargo pier Daikoku. It is now more and more common for the cruise ships to use this pier.

Diamond Princess is a special case. In the past (2019 and before) she was always able to moor at Osanbashi because she could just fit under the bridge.

Starting from 2020, Princess decides to change the embarkation pier to Daikoku for all future voyages of Diamond Princess. I heard that it is because she becomes slightly taller after adding some structures in the most recent refurbishment, so she cannot pass under the bridge anymore.

Nevertheless, Diamond Princess had only moored at Daikoku for twice in January/February 2020. After that there was the pandemic and Diamond Princess has suspended service until now.

It is unclear that if Diamond Princess will keep docking at Daikoku in 2023, or change back to Osanbashi.

In 2020 Princess (or the port authority?) had arranged shuttle bus between Daikoku pier and Motomachi-Chūkagai (Chinatown) Train Station. This was mentioned in the pre-cruise information below in the last few pages, written in Japanese only.

https://www.princesscruises.jp/pdf/JPP2020_answerbook.pdf

Extremely useful information. Thank you for taking the time to share all of this with us. 

Clearly what you are posting is the most current information.

We are hoping that the shuttle you mention will take us from the ship to the Motomachi-Chūkagai station. From there, Shinjuku is easy. 😃

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Cruise Wonderland said:

Here is a screenshot from the Japan TV news when Diamond Princess was seriously affected at the beginning of the pandemic in early 2020.

That ill-fated cruise departed from Daikoku, and also returned to Daikoku with many sick passengers. Those were the only two times that she moored at this pier.

Location of Daikoku Pier on Google Map: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Daikoku+Pier+Cruise+Terminal/@35.457502,139.6784679,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x60185d70032063d3:0xfac883c3f1a16a6d!8m2!3d35.4574977!4d139.6806566

image.thumb.png.108914b60d1edb760a891af745345a13.png

Thanks for posting that map.  I learned a few things from it:

1.  Daikoku Pier is on an island.  Thus, the cruise line certainly should provide transportation to Yokohama City.

2.  If you zoom out you can see the location of three Costco stores.  Hadn't known there were so many in Japan.

3.  Haneda Airport is much closer to Yokohama than I had thought.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, charlie murphy said:

thank you for the link as well. it was very helpful.  I think it is a crack up that you noticed the Costco. Am I the only one or were you curious  about what the inside of that Costco might look like. I might be very intrigued to see a Japanese Costco. 

I suspect that it will be very similar to U.S. Costco's with the exception of the food court and some Japan only merchandise.  There is one in Taipei near my brother in law's house that we often shop.  We are doing a B2B repositioning on the Westerdam back to Seattle, so if we decide to buy something big there it should be no problem getting it home as we live near Seattle.