Jewel Haven Questions

cruiseblues2013

15 hours ago, cruiseblues2013 said:

We have been lucky enough to sail in the Haven for a couple of cruises.  Have been on the Jewel several times, always a Balcony and it has always been great, but not since the refurbish.  I know it is not the same as the newer ships, please tell me about it.  Thank you

I've only stayed in a penthouse suite on the Jewel, it's Haven but doesn't have key access to the Haven space on this class of ship. We have attended some events in the Haven courtyard and there isn't much to it, it's just the pool and hot tub. Haven dining is in Moderno and that's where the Concierge works from during breakfast and lunch. I don't think there is a Haven bar. So if you like the "awayness" of the Haven, the Jewel Class ships don't have as much of that, but Moderno works well for the dining and the butler/concierge service is just as good or better. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shellbelle28 said:

I've only stayed in a penthouse suite on the Jewel, it's Haven but doesn't have key access to the Haven space on this class of ship. We have attended some events in the Haven courtyard and there isn't much to it, it's just the pool and hot tub. Haven dining is in Moderno and that's where the Concierge works from during breakfast and lunch. I don't think there is a Haven bar. So if you like the "awayness" of the Haven, the Jewel Class ships don't have as much of that, but Moderno works well for the dining and the butler/concierge service is just as good or better. 

We've cruised in penthouse suites on Jewel class ships numerous times.

For accuracy's sake a penthouse suite on a Jewel class ship is not "Haven", it's a non-Haven suite, and that's exactly why you don't get Haven access. Haven suites can be identified by a category code starting with the letter H. Penthouse suites on a Jewel class are identified with a category code starting with the letter S.

Suite dining at breakfast and lunch on the Jewel class ships, not just Haven dining, is in either Moderno or Cagney's...which room is used can vary from ship to ship and cruise to cruise, and sometimes one meal has been in Moderno and the other in Cagney's.

You also have to remember that the ships built after the Jewel class... from Epic onward...have a separate  Haven restaurant, and that restaurant also serves dinner. There's no separate dining room for dinner for Haven (or suite) passengers on the Jewel class ships.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, cruiseblues2013 said:

We have been lucky enough to sail in the Haven for a couple of cruises.  Have been on the Jewel several times, always a Balcony and it has always been great, but not since the refurbish.  I know it is not the same as the newer ships, please tell me about it.  Thank you

Thank you for this topic as we will be sailing on the Jewel for the first-time next August and have only sailed on the breakaway class ships.

15 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

We've cruised in penthouse suites on Jewel class ships numerous times.

For accuracy's sake a penthouse suite on a Jewel class ship is not "Haven", it's a non-Haven suite, and that's exactly why you don't get Haven access. Haven suites can be identified by a category code starting with the letter H. Penthouse suites on a Jewel class are identified with a category code starting with the letter S.

Suite dining at breakfast and lunch on the Jewel class ships, not just Haven dining, is in either Moderno or Cagney's...which room is used can vary from ship to ship and cruise to cruise, and sometimes one meal has been in Moderno and the other in Cagney's.

You also have to remember that the ships built after the Jewel class... from Epic onward...have a separate  Haven restaurant, and that restaurant also serves dinner. There's no separate dining room for dinner for Haven (or suite) passengers on the Jewel class ships.

Thank you for your explanation.    This is exactly what I thought with my research.   Right now, we are booked in an inside cabin with the intention of upgrading ourselves a few months out from sailing to a balcony or a non-Haven Suite.   For us, the best part of our stay in the Haven was the restaurant so in our minds, it would not be worth it for us to upgrade to a Haven Suite since all of the other amenities are basically the same as in a non-Haven Suite.  Am I correct?  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, vacation44 said:

Thank you for this topic as we will be sailing on the Jewel for the first-time next August and have only sailed on the breakaway class ships.

Thank you for your explanation.    This is exactly what I thought with my research.   Right now, we are booked in an inside cabin with the intention of upgrading ourselves a few months out from sailing to a balcony or a non-Haven Suite.   For us, the best part of our stay in the Haven was the restaurant so in our minds, it would not be worth it for us to upgrade to a Haven Suite since all of the other amenities are basically the same as in a non-Haven Suite.  Am I correct?  

Yes, except for access to the Haven Courtyard a non-Haven suite on the Jewel class receives the same benefits as a Haven suite on the Jewel class ships. We have never felt that the minor upgrade in amenities was worth what is usually a substantial increase in price to go from a non-Haven suite to a Haven suite on those ships.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Yes, except for access to the Haven Courtyard a non-Haven suite on the Jewel class receives the same benefits as a Haven suite on the Jewel class ships. We have never felt that the minor upgrade in amenities was worth what is usually a substantial increase in price to go from a non-Haven suite to a Haven suite on those ships.

Thank you for confirming our thoughts.   

• Like 1

To be a bit more clear, on the Jewel class ships, the Haven actually does have 2 Penthouses IN the Haven.  Their "proper name" is "The Haven Courtyard Penthouse with Balcony".

That can lead to a bit of confusion with the word "Penthouse".

However, a HAVEN Penthouse absolutely has Haven access:  there is no other way to get to your suite!

There is one on each side, at the very back of the Haven section.  They are in effect a "2BR Family Villa" withOUT the little second BR/BA.

So a Penthouse that does not have Haven access is... not a Haven suite, as njhorseman wrote above.

There *are* some Haven suites that are "outside of the controlled access Haven area" on the Jewel class ships.  However, because they are Haven suites, they do have Haven access (duh! 😉 ) and the keycard will allow the occupant direct entry into the Haven.

The four Owners Suites are at the forward port or starboard corners on Decks 9 and 10, and they are "Haven Suites".

Yup, a bit complicated until one is familiar with it, as with many things...

GC

• Like 1

19 hours ago, vacation44 said:

It is however, as the Jewel doesn’t have its own Haven restaurant you can have breakfast in Moderno’s which is Haven Breakfast Menu and lunch in Cagney’s - again Haven lunch menu - or eat in the Haven Courtyard from these menus too. 

• Like 1

Thank you for all of the replies.  Think we will pass on the Jewel Haven this next trip and save it for the newer ships.  Prices are way up for Jewel Haven on 12 day cruises.  On Bliss, love the huge front observatory and library, drinks and snacks, along with the Haven Restuarant.   Love the Jewel, and their balconies.

Edited by cruiseblues2013
spelling

we've booked the 2 bedroom haven suite on the jan sailing from panama through the canal, onthe jewel, and i found that the prices are what i consider reasonable for 3 people

we're also in a 2 bedroom on the gem b2b 3 people from venice ending in rome.  once again for 2 weeks and 3 people i think the prices are reasonable. we didnt book he 2 bedroom haven, as the rooms are almost identical, the perks are almost all the same, and its not worth the extra $3,000 to be in the "haven" complex.  

ive commented before, if anyone feels that the ncl cruise prices are to high, or unreasonable, it'like any other commodity. spend your money elsewhere. 

regardless of other lines, i find most ncl itineraries are amazing, and well worth the price.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, complawyer said:

we've booked the 2 bedroom haven suite on the jan sailing from panama through the canal, onthe jewel, and i found that the prices are what i consider reasonable for 3 people

we're also in a 2 bedroom on the gem b2b 3 people from venice ending in rome.  once again for 2 weeks and 3 people i think the prices are reasonable. we didnt book he 2 bedroom haven, as the rooms are almost identical, the perks are almost all the same, and its not worth the extra $3,000 to be in the "haven" complex.  

ive commented before, if anyone feels that the ncl cruise prices are to high, or unreasonable, it'like any other commodity. spend your money elsewhere. 

regardless of other lines, i find most ncl itineraries are amazing, and well worth the price.

We find the prices of NCL to be very reasonable, no complaints here.  We have enjoyed the Haven several times, no complaints on price.   I really enjoy the Haven experience, my original question was the difference between the newer ships and Jewel Class, description was not easy to follow.  If we had family this trip would definitely book.  maybe we are on the same cruise?  BTB Panama Canal in January.  Fabulous Trip.

cant do the back to back, but we're on the jewel i think jan 26th thru feb 4th.  if we happen to be onthe same ship, and cruise, we're in the haven 2 bedroom. im the one with a glass of champagne in one hand and an ice cold bottle of heineken in the other

• Like 2