Birthday celebration

PaulaJK

The computer is set to tell the stewardesses to decorate the cabin with "Happy Birthday" paraphernalia, and to have dining staff approach the birthday passenger with a birthday cake.  

This usually happens. SB may send a "Happy Anniversary" gift or decoration to someone who is not having an annniversary, or may get the date wrong, but it is usually fine (in our experience and per reports).  

If you want to increase odds of it happening, confirm, once on board, that it will.  And if you have other special requests that are important , ask for them  in advance of the cruise, and then again when you board confirm them ( ditto on YMMV).

Edited by Catlover54
Add

I celebrated my birthday on board once and they gave me a bottle of wine which was off their reserve list. I also came back to my cabin to discover a couple of balloons inside as well as a small cake. But, I think it can vary depending on the staff.

• Like 1

Just now, CLOU said:

I celebrated my birthday on board once and they gave me a bottle of wine which was off their reserve list. I also came back to my cabin to discover a couple of balloons inside as well as a small cake. But, I think it can vary depending on the staff.

Recently, we got the balloons too, etc., and a bottle of wine that was on the complimentary list.

• Like 1

If there's something you want for the birthday, ask for it! Don't wait to see if they delight you and risk disappointment. 

That said, I'll celebrate one of the milestone birthdays next year on a cruise with a number of friends, and I'm not sure what I'd expect or want them to do to make it more special than a day aboard a great ship surrounded by friends. 🙂 Cake in the room? We've had that before, and we're always so full from our meals that we can barely touch it. A bottle of wine? Unless it's something truly special, I get all the wine and alcoholic beverages I can consume every day, so more is not necessarily special. I'll have to think what there is I can ask them to do! 😉 

Edited by cruiseej
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, MBP&O2/O said:

Such unwanted and most certainly unasked for celebrations would be on my 'worst nightmare' shortlist.

In fact I could get seriously annoyed if they accessed my data for that purpose!🙈🙉🙊

Most people like the attention even though it is not asked for, computerized and mass produced (e.g., pax have been known to land up with TWO days of decorations and TWO cakes showing up, due to some programming error!)

If it really is a 'worst nightmare' and you are sailing around your birthday, which the computer will know, on the first day of the cruise, go to SB Square and tell them you do NOT want any of that stuff, and would rather age discretely and with silent dignity. 🙂

• Like 1

Our recent trip on the Odyssey in Alaska fell on our 25th wedding anniversary.  We got heart-shaped pancakes (with a candle 🙂 ) at breakfast, a special dessert at TK and a bottle of wine in our room (with lovely decorations).  The wine was from the complimentary list and we ended up never opening it.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2022 at 7:50 PM, cruiseej said:

make it more special than a day aboard a great ship surrounded by friends. 🙂 Cake in the room? We've had that before, and we're always so full from our meals that we can barely touch it. A bottle of wine?

A milestone birthday celebrated with friends makes that day more special.  Wine?  Whatever it is, I'll drink it.  Cake?  Always appreciated, but, like you, looks good, tastes good, but never consumed as much as it ought to have been.  Maybe, this is a time when "Have dessert first; life is short."  😀

• Like 1