Chia Seeds?

smalltowner

In recent months I have discovered the benefits to my digestive system of a spoonful of chia seeds on my cereal.  I know I can't transport them on a plane, but I'm wondering if I could buy a sealed bag in Miami and take them onboard Insignia, or perhaps if they might even be available in Terrace Cafe as a cereal add-on?  It's been three years since I've cruised and chia seeds were not on my radar then.

Penny

1 hour ago, smalltowner said:

In recent months I have discovered the benefits to my digestive system of a spoonful of chia seeds on my cereal.  I know I can't transport them on a plane, but I'm wondering if I could buy a sealed bag in Miami and take them onboard Insignia, or perhaps if they might even be available in Terrace Cafe as a cereal add-on?  It's been three years since I've cruised and chia seeds were not on my radar then.

Penny

Unless they are on the banned list  you can take them onboard

I seen people take all sorts of condiments onboard  for their use

2 hours ago, smalltowner said:

Penny

Why do you think you can't transport them on an airplane? There's no prohibition against seeds or solid foods.

2 hours ago, smalltowner said:

It would be an international flight, from Canada, so I thought seeds would be prohibited.

42 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Some food items are not allowed to be brought into the USA

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/know-before-you-go/prohibited-and-restricted-items

Seeds capable of propagation and intended for planting would be prohibited. Are chia seeds sold as a dietary supplement still capable of propagation or have they been processed in some way that precludes propagation? I believe that the seeds sold as a dietary supplement are dried and so can't be used to grow chia plants.

On any event,  you can buy them in just about any drug store, supermarket or health food store.

Thanks all.  We'll be in Miami a day ahead, so I can just go to Walgreens or even Publix which would probably have them too.  I don't think chia seeds bought as a dietary supplement can sprout, but don't want to risk getting into a discussion with a border agent.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1