How Much To Pack?

garycarla

As a frequent traveler, we have learned to pack light.  We did a 3 week around the world trip with just carryon. We do two week cruises with one carry on each. Most people pack way more than they need.  I came across this person in the new this morning and thought it was worth sharing.

https://herpackinglist.com/

(PS - I have no connection to this person, just sharing)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, c-boy said:

yep,  I'm not into doin' laundry while on holiday.

they have pretty reasonably priced laundry - $30 for a huge bag of wash & fold (or free for the rest of 2022 if you've gotten status with them).  i realized that i'm now officially an adult because i get really excited about packing clean clothes and not having to do laundry when i get home hahaha 

• Like 3

Same- our problem is that we’re usually coming from or going to somewhere else, so we need to pack for multiple climates, then we just have a full suitcase of crap that we don’t even touch for the whole cruise!

Looking forward to bringing like 3 suitcases on our pre-Christmas key west 4 night cruise that we won’t touch until we get up to the northeast for family time haha

On 10/28/2022 at 9:59 AM, _tacocat_ said:

they have pretty reasonably priced laundry - $30 for a huge bag of wash & fold (or free for the rest of 2022 if you've gotten status with them).  i realized that i'm now officially an adult because i get really excited about packing clean clothes and not having to do laundry when i get home hahaha 

Do you know if they only wash using hot water like other cruise lines?  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

With Deep Blue Perks, you do get at least one bag of free laundry, and it was ready the very next day, not the 3-5 days it would take on Princess!

Deep Blue Extras includes ONE bag of laundry per cabin at no charge with the "next day" return.  You can pay for more bags and you can pay for same day return.  Not sure where the "at least" came from; the perk is one bag.
That said, it is a HUGE bag, not the tiny things you'll see on some other lines.  It is about the size of a standard pillow case and has a drawstring at the top.  We were on a 14 night cruise, and sent laundry on day 9.  We got ALL of our laundry into the bag including what we had worn to travel and what we wore on the ship.

9 hours ago, cantgetin said:

Deep Blue Extras includes ONE bag of laundry per cabin at no charge with the "next day" return.  You can pay for more bags and you can pay for same day return.  Not sure where the "at least" came from; the perk is one bag.

you also get some pressing and dry cleaning - i think it was 2 garments for each of those, but only took advantage of getting 2 things pressed

55 minutes ago, _tacocat_ said:

you also get some pressing and dry cleaning - i think it was 2 garments for each of those, but only took advantage of getting 2 things pressed

Correct...I couldn't remember the details as we didn't use this part of the service.  There are other perks as well....

On 10/31/2022 at 7:50 PM, CruzinMermaid said:

What did you pack to manage three weeks around the world?

were you cruising or flying or both? I took a carryon for a 10 day voyage and found myself shy of clothing options, had exactly two pair of shoes, and it was still heavy and annoying.

It was mostly flying - not a cruise.  We flew 9 different airlines and could not risk bags getting lost.  Mix and match outfits. Two pair shoes (one we were wearing).  Done similar on 2 week fly/cruise.  You really can wear something more than one day.

• Like 2

Carry ons come in different sizes and airlines have different regulations regarding size.  I appreciated this on our TA when my daughter's carry on was much larger than mine!  DO check the size and weight regulations for your airline, especially in Europe.