Any idea why Seabourn doesn’t cruise Japan

Salbags58

I was booked on April 23 cruise around Japan on Odyssey. Cancelled in July, despite the ship being fully booked. The mind set in Seattle seems to be cancel early to minimize the costs of late disruption and refunds.The recent cancellation of the Indian ports is another example.

I suspect Japan will be back as it's a popular destination despite the high costs.

I was interested in the April 23 Japan circumnavigation but, alas, it was fully booked.

After cancellation it was instead re-routed to the Pacific with very low fares - with a future cruise deposit due to expire I booked immediately!  Tahiti to Hawaii here we come! 😁

Assuming that my Wife and I are happy with the "post covid" Seabourn experience we will book a Japan cruise as soon as Seabourn recommences cruising there.

Now that Japan has re-opened to tourists I am confident/hopeful that Seabourn will once again offer Japan cruises in 2024!

The Sojourn will be in Japan in spring, 2024 as a part of the World Cruise.  We are booked.  I believe the Odyssey is scheduled for Japan as well.  For our WC, I am fully prepared for itinerary changes.

13 hours ago, florisdekort said:

Both Sojourn and Odyssey are in Japan in spring 2024. 

Looking at their itinerary, can’t see that there would be a decent enough 10-14 day cruise all around Japan that Silversea and Regent offer

Interesting thread.  We have a 42 day cruise (including more than a month in Japan) booked on HAL for March-April 2023.  We would have preferred SB, but they have nothing in Japan.  The reality is that the mass market lines (primarily Princess and HAL) routinely (except for the COVID shut down) have interesting Japan itineraries.  I guess the "suits" in Seatfe just do not think there is a market for leionger interesting Japan itineraries for their SB brand.

Hank

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

Interesting thread.  We have a 42 day cruise (including more than a month in Japan) booked on HAL for March-April 2023.  We would have preferred SB, but they have nothing in Japan.  The reality is that the mass market lines (primarily Princess and HAL) routinely (except for the COVID shut down) have interesting Japan itineraries.  I guess the "suits" in Seatfe just do not think there is a market for leionger interesting Japan itineraries for their SB brand.

Hank

And that is unfortunate.  We had a SB cruise that began in Kobe and had several Japanese ports and we thoroughly enjoyed it.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, SLSD said:

And that is unfortunate.  We had a SB cruise that began in Kobe and had several Japanese ports and we thoroughly enjoyed it.  

No question we would enjoy being on SB more than HAL.  But like many cruisers, we make compromises for itineraries.  

Hank

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hlitner said:

No question we would enjoy being on SB more than HAL.  But like many cruisers, we make compromises for itineraries.  

Hank

We've never considered any cruise lines aside from Seabourn and Silversea--and not Silversea for some years now.  Perhaps we should, but I think it would be such a let down.  Right around the time Covid hit, I was following a blog written by someone from the UK who was on one of the first quarantined ships.  The author ended up being hospitalized in Japan for Covid.  I remember him saying what a luxurious experience his cruise had been.  I think it was Princess, his preferred line.  I was surprised that he saw it as luxurious, but I guess that was his perspective.  

13 minutes ago, SLSD said:

We've never considered any cruise lines aside from Seabourn and Silversea--and not Silversea for some years now.  Perhaps we should, but I think it would be such a let down.  Right around the time Covid hit, I was following a blog written by someone from the UK who was on one of the first quarantined ships.  The author ended up being hospitalized in Japan for Covid.  I remember him saying what a luxurious experience his cruise had been.  I think it was Princess, his preferred line.  I was surprised that he saw it as luxurious, but I guess that was his perspective.  

Ahh.  We used to post that we are "equal opportunity cruisers" having experienced 16 different cruise lines.  DW and I love travel and cruising but have always enjoyed the variety we experience via different lines, ships, places, etc.  I was recently having some fun with a frequent CC poster who seems to be wedded to Oceania.  I pointed out that while "O" might be very satisfying, he will never be able to go ashore on Antarctica if he only cruises/travels on "O."  My point is that when you limit yourself to a single cruise line, hotel chain, airline, etc. you are limiting your travel options.  And by the way, we are on the verge of booking a cruise on the new Explora Journeys.  Why?  Because we have some faith in the management team, like the itinerary, and are curious to try another cruise line :).  Perhaps they will be better than SB or Silverseas, or perhaps they will an awful product.  But the spirit of adventure lives on in this old man :).

Hank

• Like 3