bringing on 12 pack of soda

seagoer1973

Bottles are now prohibited by the Passage Contract:

• Guests are also prohibited from bringing water, sodas and other non-alcoholic beverages on board that are packaged in bottles. A small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages (i.e., sparkling water, sodas, juice, milk) packaged in cans or cartons may be brought on board on embarkation day, only if carried on in Guests’ hand luggage (not in checked luggage). A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 sealed, unopened cans/cartons of 12 ounces each or less per person.  Guests will be asked to discard open beverages in plastic containers prior to boarding.

On our Alaska cruise out of San Francisco on Grand 5 years ago I brought a 12 pack of my favorite cola, an inexpensive store brand for only $4. I placed a luggage tag on it and gave it to the porter and it showed up in our stateroom with the luggage. 

Not sure if that will work today, but we plan to do the same thing on our next Princess cruise on Royal, again out of San Francisco. I figured if it gets discarded for checking it in rather than carrying it on, the monetary loss will be practically insignificant.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sloopsailor said:

On our Alaska cruise out of San Francisco on Grand 5 years ago I brought a 12 pack of my favorite cola, an inexpensive store brand for only $4. I placed a luggage tag on it and gave it to the porter and it showed up in our stateroom with the luggage. 

Not sure if that will work today, but we plan to do the same thing on our next Princess cruise on Royal, again out of San Francisco. I figured if it gets discarded for checking it in rather than carrying it on, the monetary loss will be practically insignificant.

You are allowed up to a 12 pack of cans for each passenger.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Thrak said:

You are allowed up to a 12 pack of cans for each passenger.

I know.

But according to what people are saying, Princess allows only as CARRYON luggage. We put ours as CHECKED luggage. It was delivered to our room with our luggage, which is contrary to what Princess apparently requires, according to several comments here. 

Edited by sloopsailor

1 hour ago, sloopsailor said:

I know.

But according to what people are saying, Princess allows only as CARRYON luggage. We put ours as CHECKED luggage. It was delivered to our room with our luggage, which is contrary to what Princess apparently requires, according to several comments here. 

They just don't want it inside your checked luggage. If it's there it shows up on the scanner and they have to send it to the holding room and have you come open your luggage to verify it's not beer or something alcoholic.

• Thanks 1

I doubt if anyone in the security section is really checking that closely to see the total amount of soda carried in your luggage. I always leave the ship during a B2B (Port Everglades) and return with nothing in my suitcase filled with plastic 1 liter bottles of soda & they never blink an eye. 

On 10/28/2022 at 2:54 AM, MissP22 said:

I doubt if anyone in the security section is really checking that closely to see the total amount of soda carried in your luggage. I always leave the ship during a B2B (Port Everglades) and return with nothing in my suitcase filled with plastic 1 liter bottles of soda & they never blink an eye. 

In screening we don't care about the plastic bottles of soda.

On 10/27/2022 at 9:58 AM, sloopsailor said:

Where did you buy the soda?  We’re thinking of doing this, but don’t know where in SF to buy the soda before boarding.

2 minutes ago, Woosgirl said:

Where did you buy the soda?  We’re thinking of doing this, but don’t know where in SF to buy the soda before boarding.

Sorry, I don't know. I live an hour from the port, so I'll be bringing it from home in the car. 

1 minute ago, SantaFeFan said:

Sorry, I don't know. I live an hour from the port, so I'll be bringing it from home in the car. 

Ah, okay, thank you. We’ve never sailed out of SF I don’t know what is around the port, if anything. Maybe someone else will know. ☺️

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/5/2022 at 9:19 AM, Woosgirl said:

Ah, okay, thank you. We’ve never sailed out of SF I don’t know what is around the port, if anything. Maybe someone else will know. ☺️

There's a Safeway supermarket on North Point, about a 15 minute walk from the pier.