Frozen Vegetables in Blu

Cruising Princess

45 minutes ago, Lena11033 said:

I moved from Burlington - the points system for PC sucked where I lived I didn't get much for my $.

I would have thought the PC points offers would be the same across Ontario. I love collecting the points and my hubby gets different offers so works out in our favour.  I even gets extra points for Esso gas. 

13 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

I would have thought the PC points offers would be the same across Ontario. I love collecting the points and my hubby gets different offers so works out in our favour.  I even gets extra points for Esso gas. 

Ah the trick is you get them mainly based on PC products unless a promotion is on, the nearest store to me rarely had PC products so was not the best. I think I maybe got more when I used to go into the office because I'd shop at Real Canadian Superstore but Forinos didn't really get me much.

I'm now shopping at Zehrs so there are WAY more PC products (either PC or no name) which I'm happy about because I can shop cheaper (being relative due to cost just generally being more). Even vegetables are cheaper for example of veggie difference as I buy a lot of cucumbers so I know the price quickly, Fortinos would charge 2.99 for a cucumber - Zehr's I'm paying 0.99.

• Like 1

Just an FYI: "Best before" dates are not expiration dates  and are not even required. They are used to help stores keep the inventory moving so things don't just get moved back when new shipments arrive. "Expires" dates are mostly seen on things like dairy that are known to spoil within a certain time, and are often required by health codes to ensure potentially dangerous or suspect food can be removed.

At least this is what a friend who managed a Public told me.

Edited by mayleeman
  • Like 1

Baby formula is the only item for which a "use by" date should be respected.

Everything else is a suggestion. Milk doesn't magically go bad at 12:01 a.m. after the "best buy" date, but don't drink it if it looks, smells, or tastes funny.

55 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

Just an FYI: "Best before" dates are not expiration dates  and are not even required. They are used to help stores keep the inventory moving so things don't just get moved back when new shipments arrive. "Expires" dates are mostly seen on things like dairy that are known to spoil within a certain time, and are often required by health codes to ensure potentially dangerous or suspect food can be removed.

At least this is what a friend who managed a Public told me.

and I'm currently eating a noosa yogurt with an "expiration date" of 2 weeks ago.  Its perfectly fine.  Buttermilk, Yogurt, sour cream and eggs are all still good weeks past the expiration date.  

When I lived in Exeter, Ontario, I worked for a senior dining program.  I was given a budget of 3 bucks a person to buy groceries.  That meal had to have juice, salad, veg, starch, meat and dessert.  I had to shop for 50 ppl.  The seniors paid 9 bucks for their meal.  Even back then( 2006-2009) it was hard to stay in budget. I had to buy meat at 2 bucks a pound to stay in budget.  Even then, the seniors weren't happy with my roasts,  They just didn't understand that a 2.00lb roast was not going to be good unless it was a pot roast.  

I kept a long vlog on Egullet.org https://forums.egullet.org/topic/97559-cooking-for-50-senior-citizens/

There it is if you're interested.  The Canadians might find it interesting.  I was married to a Canadian woman( we divorced and I moved back to California).    This was the first time anyone had ever complained about my food.  I'm a very accomplished cook/baker.