NCL Getaway - best of

cusematt4

Hi,

I am looking forward to a winter cruise out of NY on the Getaway.

What is some not to misses on the ship?

We are booked in a balcony room and are planning on 3 specialty dining restaurants.  We are leaning towards Le Bistro, Cagney's and Ocean Blue.

For shows - aside from the main shows, we are looking forward to dueling pianos, the reggae pool band and the band at Syd's.

Is there any other free or paid for food and entertainment that we should make sure to check out that's worth the time or money?  We will be onboard for Christmas.

Thanks!

Getaway is my favorite ship.

Syd is great (my fav), I also liked the latino band at Sugarcane, (and while you are at the Sugarcane, try the ginger mojito) and there is also another show with most of the ensemble from million dollar quartet. They have their take on familiar show tunes, anything from ABBA to Hair. Its also complimentary.

Have fun!

Edited by z4oslo

We enjoy Shanghai Noodle Bar. Even if you don't want soup or rice, you can still have the appetizers. So yummy! And included in your fare!

If the entertainment crew is still performing "Broadway Unplugged," then I would highly recommend enjoying that show. You won't hear your favorite showtunes sung in the typical sing songy way.

Spend some time at the outdoor Sugarcane bar. It's on the Waterfront. Even better if July, one of the bartenders, is there. He will make you any drink concoction you come up with! 

Personally, I wouldn't book a cruise, without getting the thermal suite pass, for the entirety of the cruise. I just love that humid environment, relaxing in the large pool, the hot tubs, and heated loungers. If you like jellified muscles, then you shouldn't miss it! It is an extra charge (varies by cruise length). 

36 minutes ago, cusematt4 said:

We are leaning towards Le Bistro, Cagney's and Ocean Blue

Just my opinion of course, but Cagney's isn't that great.  It's very over-hyped and a pale comparison to any other steakhouse you've been to .  La Cucina is way better and has steak options too.

Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

Christmas on the Getaway is a magical time.  Deorations everywhere.  Outside of the La Bistro restaurant will be a very elaborate Gingerbread Village display.  It is amazing.

On Christmas Eve some of the Senior Officers will go through the ship singing Christmas Carols ending in the Atirum leading a Sing-A- Long.  There will be a special program in the theater later in the evening.

Santa arrives on Christmas morning with gifts for the kids aboard.  Great fun to watch all the excitment.  Do not know who has more fun kids, adult passengers or the crew.

Enjoy

The Getaway has been my families favorite cruise so far.  I know you mentioned Syd's but I will say this has been the most fun we have had on a cruise.  Its more of a show than just a cover band.  If you want a seat, get there early.  

I know you didn't mention it but pass on American Diner.  Its not great.

For MDR, go to the Tropicana.  There usually isn't a wait like there is with Taste and Savor and they have live music.  The atmosphere is as close to how you would picture early cruising.  

I don't know your groups physical ability but do the rope course if you can.  Its one of the best ones at sea and they have a walk the plank where you walk out about 5 feet over the ocean on a thin rail.  

O'Sheehan's is great for a late night snack.  We even went back for an adults dinner on another night.  

If there are kids in your group, you can buy an unlimited arcade pass.  They can use it on the video arcade and also the games in O'Sheehan's.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Liljo22 said:

I know you didn't mention it but pass on American Diner.  Its not great.

This reminds me! If you do enjoy mozzarella sticks, American Diner is the only place on the boat to get them for $5. It's worth the $5. My husband and I often make the extra fee trip at least once. 

Also, the milkshakes at American Diner are dreamy. You can get all the calcium you need for the day with these two yummy concoctions! 

1 hour ago, JGmf said:

Just my opinion of course, but Cagney's isn't that great.  It's very over-hyped and a pale comparison to any other steakhouse you've been to .  La Cucina is way better and has steak options too.

Enjoy your cruise!

We feel like we've had more misses than hits at Le Bistro ... sometimes good, but a couple of times recently, very meh ... wished we hadn't wasted a meal there.

Will totally concur about La Cucina ... we love Ocean Blue  but love La Cucina even more.

The beef tenderloin there, which we've had many times, has always been done beautifully.

And we like the ambience in the restaurant.

Have a great holiday cruise!