Are seas rougher out of NYC in January than spring/summer?

MuffyTravels

Hi! My first time posting a question so hope I'm doing it right. We are considering a cruise out of Manhattan in January. Wondering if we can expect rougher seas due to time of year? We've cruised out of NYC in May with no issues. Just wasn't sure how it would be early January? Any insights are much apprciated!

3 hours ago, MuffyTravels said:

Hi! My first time posting a question so hope I'm doing it right. We are considering a cruise out of Manhattan in January. Wondering if we can expect rougher seas due to time of year? We've cruised out of NYC in May with no issues. Just wasn't sure how it would be early January? Any insights are much apprciated!

Welcome to cruise critic.

Unfortunately, you have no guarantee that you will experience similar weather to previous years.

However, in January you have a high probability of rougher, rather than smoother seas. Have crossed the N/Atlantic many times in winter and seen everything, except smooth seas.

On 10/31/2022 at 4:26 PM, MuffyTravels said:

You may get better results asking your question on the East Coast departuresboard.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/314-north-american-homeports/

Edited by macmax

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, mbentley said:

Nice to see other Canadians here! We are sailing on the Norwegian Gem January from NYC to Panama. Anyone else?

The place to find other people on your sailing is on your Roll Call. On the NCL Roll Call Forum, find your ship and then your sail date to locate your specific Roll Call thread

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/66-norwegian-cruise-line-roll-calls/

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, drgeorgehenry said:

I am doing back to back NYC to Panama, then return.  Is there a plan for cruise critic group to meet after boarding?  

To meet fellow pax on your cruise, please check the Roll Call for your cruise line, then the ship and finally locate the thread(s) for your cruises. If one hasn't already been started, you can start a new thread.