Crown plaza San Pedro

JerseyShore

We have always stayed at the Crown Plaza the night before our cruise.    Well today was the last time.   No longer have valet parking.  Needed to park under the hotel.  And no bell hops.   I waited over 30 minutes for someone to help with our bags and no one came out

This hotel should have told us about the self parking. AND no help for 80 year olds is unacceptable   

Now when we return we will need to drag our suitcases down to the garage and struggle to get them in our car. 

Doubletree is a better place to stay

12 minutes ago, JerseyShore said:

We have always stayed at the Crown Plaza the night before our cruise.    Well today was the last time.   No longer have valet parking.  Needed to park under the hotel.  And no bell hops.   I waited over 30 minutes for someone to help with our bags and no one came out

This hotel should have told us about the self parking. AND no help for 80 year olds is unacceptable   

Now when we return we will need to drag our suitcases down to the garage and struggle to get them in our car. 

Doubletree is a better place to stay

That’s a shame. Maybe one person could go get the car and the other could stay up at the hotel with the suitcases?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's too bad. I looked on their website, and they do mention valet parking, but also say that accessible parking is available  (I assume that's handicap parking spots.) I didn't see any mention of bell services.

However I also looked at the Doubletree website, and they don't have valet parking either.

Edited by mom says

Six months ago, Doubletree had no valet parking.  All parking was outdoor and I had to drive around over ten minutes looking for a parking space.  Then, I had to drag our baggage to the hotel.

At least, after the cruise, the shuttle driver dropped us off right at our car.  

Correct, the DoubleTree has no Valet and maybe 1, if you're lucky, bell person.  And they have very few (maybe 2) luggage carts.  And... while the shuttle is part of the stay, park, cruise special, it was also a cluster/zoo last April.  (I dropped bags at curb for check-in then wandered around for parking.) 

I figured we'd stay at CP this next time, on check-out I can drive over and drop DW, scooter, and bags, go back and park, and walk/cab/shuttle to terminal.  On disembark, do the reverse.

Personally, I prefer SELF parking.  I don't like the idea of someone else--even a hotel employee(s)--having access to my car or moving my car while I am on a cruise.  We've had self-parking at both the Crowne Plaza and the Doubletree.  As was mentioned, at the Doubletree, it's a large outside lot...at the Crowne Plaza, it's not only underground, it's directly beneath the hotel...and only a few feet from where we parked to the hotel elevators--so, with our luggage all on wheels, very easy for us to get it from our car to the hotel lobby and from the hotel lobby to our car.  Plus, with self-parking, we were able to choose our parking space...and we parked our car in a space between a wall and a pillar--so we were comfortable all cruise long knowing no one could move our car and no one could park next to it and give it any door dings...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bummer about the parking issues.

As we'll be flying in and getting a shuttle/taxi/Uber from LAX parking isn't our issue.

CURIOUS:  Which of the Crown Plaza and Double Tree do you prefer?  Cleanliness? Pool? We'll have teens and will be staying the night before a Feb cruise.

What about the trek to the port/pier?  Any tips?

38 minutes ago, deannasews said:

CURIOUS:  Which of the Crown Plaza and Double Tree do you prefer?  Cleanliness? Pool? We'll have teens and will be staying the night before a Feb cruise.

What about the trek to the port/pier?  Any tips?

I like both hotels...for different reasons.  If I had to pick one, it would be the Crowne Plaza--for the convenient location.  You just head down the elevator, out the front door and you are just steps from a lot of places to eat (Again, I like the Green Onion and the San Pedro Brewing Company and both are within a half a block of the Crowne Plaza).  Both of these restaurants are very casual and reasonably priced--so perfect for a pre-cruise dinner with the family... 

http://www.greenonionmexicanrestaurant.com/menu.html

https://sanpedrobrewing.com/menu

The cruise terminal is about a 3-4 block wak from the hotel...I have walked it more than once.   But the CP also has a shuttle for which they currenty charge $5.50 pp.  You need to reserve a time when you check in...but, if there are four of you, you could get an Uber for less than that...or, of course, if you've packed light enough, with rolling luggage, and if you're in decent shape, you could just walk it.

Edited by Bruin Steve
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, deannasews said:

If you have teens and are arriving somewhat early in the day, I'd consider staying in Downtown Long Beach at a place like the Hyatt Regency or Hyatt Centric. Both have nice pools, in a fun area for walking around with shops and dining. See the map below.

https://goo.gl/maps/chdpbrekWw1FaS5X8