Izumi if you are not into sushi

coaster

5 minutes ago, coaster said:

Appreciate all the feedback here. Just made a reservation in the online planner for the second leg on our 14 night Grandeur b2b. Seems like enough cooked options now. Will be a nice break from the MDR menus.

I really wish all of the speciality restaurants would offer à la carte options the way Izumi does. We would like a break from the MDR menus too sometimes but we have small appetites so can't get our money's worth. We'd jump at the chance to go to the speciality restaurants and be able to order just a starter and a dessert, or just a main course without having to pay for an entire meal that we mostly won't eat.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PolicromaSol said:

Generally speaking, certain items, such as non-seafood meats, eel, crab, lobster, or shrimp, are almost always cooked unless it states otherwise. (And usually the "otherwise" would be at more adventurous restaurants directly in Japan where they ensure absolute freshness as their livelihoods and reputations are on the line.) You can always ask the waiter or sushi chef if you're not sure.

Thankfully there is an exception to that rule that I am very fond of.  Amaebi, or sweet shrimp, is served raw.  I have also had tiger prawns served raw with the heads deep fried and both are delicious. 

But I agree 100%, if you are concerned, ask to be sure.  

I'll be on Brilliance in December, and I made a reservation for Izumi and paid $28.99 per person.  That is supposed to include 1 small plate, 2 large plates and dessert.  That sounds like a lot of food. 

So if I'm understanding correctly, I can make a reservation once I'm on the ship, and just order a la carte?  Does anyone know the prices of the individual items so I can figure out which way to go?

TIA.

16 minutes ago, linaka625 said:

I'll be on Brilliance in December, and I made a reservation for Izumi and paid $28.99 per person.  That is supposed to include 1 small plate, 2 large plates and dessert.  That sounds like a lot of food. 

So if I'm understanding correctly, I can make a reservation once I'm on the ship, and just order a la carte?  Does anyone know the prices of the individual items so I can figure out which way to go?

TIA.

You can see the prices in the app.

I am not a sushi eater and I had a great lunch when we went to Izumi on Harmony.  We had the UDP, so I thought if I didn't like it, I could try someplace else.

I ordered the dumplings which were delicious.  I had the beef teriyaki which I enjoyed.  The waiter told me to try sushi and I explained I don't eat raw fish.  He said he would bring me something that I would like.  I told him that I was  full so I really didn't need something else.  He said that was fine, because what I wouldn't eat of the dish he was going to bring me, he would as he really liked it.

He brought me some salmon roll which was made with cooked salmon.  I tried it and really liked it, but only had room to eat 1 piece as it was quite large.  I will definitely order it again when we go on Symphony.

• Like 2

On 11/2/2022 at 9:33 PM, coaster said:

Going on too many cruises lately. The MDR menus are memorized in my brain. Never paid extra for a specialty restaurant, just when it is part of a travel agent perk. Anyway, thinking about booking Izumi on Grandeur this month. No hibachi option on this ship. See a sample menu and the Ryu Futpmaki roll looks like it  is cooked. Bowls look good to me also. Worth going even for those like me who are not into sushi?

Do you just not like the raw fish or sushi in general? I hate raw stuff, so I will only eat cooked sushi. Anything with tempura would be cooked. Looks like there are a couple rolls with cooked seafood. But also a few other options. Something new!

• Like 1

Izumi is one of our favorite restaurants. I am allergic to shellfish, but the have always been able to accommodate me. Love the futomaki roll. The udon, if the have it, is fantastic! The steak one is made with filet, so tender.

We split the one prix fixe meal as it is a lot of food. Chicken kara-age, futomaki roll and udon or teriyaki.  The chocolate cake for dessert.

Looking forward to it in 3 months on Anthem!