MSC - back home clean package - can you use it early?

Ryan82

15 minutes ago, HipHipOnAShip said:

We had very good laundry service on the Divina in September.  Everything was washed, pressed, and presented on hangars.  No issues whatsoever. We bought the 40 piece package and found it very worthwhile.  Your mileage might vary...

That’s promising. Was that in the Yacht Club?

We had a bad experience on Norwegian Pearl in April with their laundry service.  The laundry was returned in the same brown bag that we gave it to them in and looked like a 2 yr old folded it. Fortunately it was only our little grandson’s t-shirts  and shorts. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, styles27 said:

That’s promising. Was that in the Yacht Club?

We had a bad experience on Norwegian Pearl in April with their laundry service.  The laundry was returned in the same brown bag that we gave it to them in and looked like a 2 yr old folded it. Fortunately it was only our little grandson’s t-shirts  and shorts. 

Yes it was, but that "shouldn't" (theoretically) make a difference

57 minutes ago, HipHipOnAShip said:

We had very good laundry service on the Divina in September.  Everything was washed, pressed, and presented on hangars.  No issues whatsoever. We bought the 40 piece package and found it very worthwhile.  Your mileage might vary...

Another data point.

We were on the Divina in October, in the Yacht Club.

We did not received service described above.  We have always purchased laundry package for MSC cruises, as they are either B2B or longer itineraries. Always received excellent service and results.

Not this time… 

Clothing stuffed back in same paper bag after service. 3 items had to be tossed as they were torn.( equipment issue?)

Looked like tshirts, cotton shirts, underwear, shorts and jeans all washed together. My white jeans were light green. 
I would use laundry for essentials like underwear etc. Not for major pieces of clothing.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, styles27 said:

You would think the YC would have its own laundry area but maybe not?

I guess YC sends laundry to the main laundromat on the ship.

We had the newly reduced laundry package service on MSC Grandiosa, Med cruise in October 2022.. sailing in Yacht Club.

The butler explained the changes and offered to press two items for us (included in YC perks).

• Like 1

There are no separate Laundries on the "behind the scenes" tours I've done on cruise ships (NCL and Royal).  So, it makes total sense that MSC doesn't have two separate laundries on their ships.  That would be terribly wasteful and unnecessary.

Laundry is laundry.  Washing machines (and. they are huge monsters) are washing machines.  

Truth of the matter, if you've ever done a ship's tour of their laundry, it's pretty amazing.  They launder clothes, bed linens, kitchen linens, bath towels and wash cloths, etc for 3,000-4,000 people (crew and guests) PER DAY.

I'm surprised they don't lose more articles of clothing.

NCL and Celebrity set the standard of my personal laundry being washed, dried, folded and delivered.  

I'm glad to hear some reports of MSC being more thoughtful of some peoples' laundry.

Again, I try to get at least one load of laundry done via the ship's laundry per cruise.

• 1 month later...
On 12/6/2022 at 6:10 AM, styles27 said:

We did book the 20 item laundry package for our upcoming cruise but plan to only use it for t-shirts and things like that, just to get us through the second week.

We always fly in a day or two before cruising so I press the things that need it at the hotel before boarding and hang them in a garment bag that we carry on the ship.
Works out great,  we just transfer those items (already on hangers) to the closet in our room. 

I pack the garment bag and light metal “dry cleaner type” hangers in our checked baggage for the flight. 

How did that work out?  I hope they can do it when I get on the cruise after spending a week on land, rather than land after the cruise 🙂 

35 minutes ago, kessdarln said:

How did that work out?  I hope they can do it when I get on the cruise after spending a week on land, rather than land after the cruise 🙂 

It worked out very well. Everything came back on hangers except the socks and undergarments. 
Our room attendant left the bag on day 8 of our 14 day cruise. 
I don’t see why you couldn’t use it anytime you want to. The only instructions from him was that we had to send out all 20 pieces at one time  FD3DCE04-0BFF-4765-969A-400C7D4F03CD.thumb.jpeg.0e250a4745dd5383951dac27a6932b98.jpeg

Edited by styles27
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One more data point. We turned in laundry on day 2 of our recent Grandiosa cruise as we'd been traveling already in Europe and had planned on using the ship laundry to get caught up. We made sure we had the form filled out and everything ready early for our cabin steward. 

The clothes didn't come back the next day.

Or the next. So I called. Got attitude from the laundry that I hadn't marked 'express'. Reviewed sheet. There was no express option....

So the next day, I called again. They didn't answer this time.

On the 6th day, we finally got them back at our evening turndown. By that time the bulk of the cruise was over.

We were lucky to have a handwash kit in our travel bag to wash undies, but I won't be using MSC laundry services again. I was honestly worried we would never see our clothes again and we had another week in Europe post-cruise.