San Pedro and LGB Questions

SuzieQ521

Hello:

We (myself, husband and 4 year old son) are taking a Norwegian cruise out of San Pedro in January. We initially we going to take an early flight on cruise day (Southwest from Vegas where there are many flights so there will be a backup plan) but are likely going to fly in the night before the cruise, mostly because the airfare is so much less expensive that day. 

A few questions: 

1) For now, we are arriving at 4 p.m. the night before so for convenience sake, I booked the Crowne Plaza right by the Port. I had been looking to see if there were any Long Beach hotels that offered both an airport shuttle and a shuttle to San Pedro port but it did not look possible. Question--with probably 1 large suitcase and a carry on and with a 4 year old, is the Port walkable from the Crowne Plaza? I know they do offer a shuttle for $5.50 pp; how much would Lyft/Uber be that short distance? (we plan to take LYFT from LGB to Crowne).

2) Has San Pedro improved the embarkation process? I read it was a nightmare a few months ago. We have a 4 year old so I want to minimize waiting in a line...what time would you arrive to the Port? We had wanted to arrive early enough to have lunch on the ship.

3) What time should we expect to Disembark when we return? Debating on whether we could make a 12:30 flight out of LGB or do a 3 p.m.?

Alternatively, we could take a cheaper flight out of LAX but not sure if it would be worth the headache on a Friday afternoon. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Edited by SuzieQ521

2 hours ago, SuzieQ521 said:

Hello:

We (myself, husband and 4 year old son) are taking a Norwegian cruise out of San Pedro in January. We initially we going to take an early flight on cruise day (Southwest from Vegas where there are many flights so there will be a backup plan) but are likely going to fly in the night before the cruise, mostly because the airfare is so much less expensive that day. 

A few questions: 

1) For now, we are arriving at 4 p.m. the night before so for convenience sake, I booked the Crowne Plaza right by the Port. I had been looking to see if there were any Long Beach hotels that offered both an airport shuttle and a shuttle to San Pedro port but it did not look possible. Question--with probably 1 large suitcase and a carry on and with a 4 year old, is the Port walkable from the Crowne Plaza? I know they do offer a shuttle for $5.50 pp; how much would Lyft/Uber be that short distance? (we plan to take LYFT from LGB to Crowne).

2) Has San Pedro improved the embarkation process? I read it was a nightmare a few months ago. We have a 4 year old so I want to minimize waiting in a line...what time would you arrive to the Port? We had wanted to arrive early enough to have lunch on the ship.

3) What time should we expect to Disembark when we return? Debating on whether we could make a 12:30 flight out of LGB or do a 3 p.m.?

Alternatively, we could take a cheaper flight out of LAX but not sure if it would be worth the headache on a Friday afternoon. Thoughts?

Thanks!

We are on the Bliss on Jan 22. Will watch this thread. We are contemplating flying but honestly just planning to drive right past Vegas and on to LA. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SuzieQ521 said:

Hello:

A few questions: 

Thanks!

1.  No Downtown Long Beach hotels have free shuttles to the pier in San Pedro...It's 6-8 miles away depending on the hotel...nor do they have shuttles from LGB.  There are LGB Airport area hotels that may have shuttles from the airport...but thse are 16 miles from San Pedro.  Getting in at 4:00 pm means you wouldn't have time to do much in Long Beach anyway.  So, for you, the Crowne Plaza is a great choice.  It IS walkable from the CP to the San Pedro cruise terminal...about 3-4 blocks depending on which berth you are at.  I have walked it a few times...but I'm not sure I would do it with a 4 year old.  It's such a short trip that an Uber or Lyft may cost less than the CP shuttle.  It definitely will if the CP wants to charge $5.50 for the 4 year old.

2.  I've cruised out of San Pedro often...but usually on Princess or Royal Caribbean.  When we cruised on RCCL Navigator of the Seas this past June, embarkation was quick and easy...we arrived at 10:20 and were onboard at 10:30.  I don't know if NCL makes things more difficult...but RCCL was easy...I always show up early if I can...I like to eat lunch onboard as well.

You can check in with most airlines on the internet, so it's just the bag drop and "security"...We travel via LAX a lot and we never have had a difficult time getting quickly from curb to gate.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

San Pedro embarkation process:  last 2 times departing from there, you get inline outside, there is a very large white tent area you enter to go through security, then into a real building.  At that point you are directed to a large " seating" area.  there is a "latitudes" section you may be directed to, if fortunate enough to be in Haven, a small waiting area.  this was our experience in 2020 and 2022 January.  Will say, it is not the best experience, but doable.  The length of the line getting into the "tent area "will vary upon when you arrive.  Everyone wants on early so 11am to noon seems to be the rush.  If I had a choice, I would fly out of LGB.   We do carry off our own luggage the last 2 times, have been to LAX within 30 minutes max.  But was on a weekend.  Once at LAX, horrible crowding, have had to wait for a seat in the gate area to even become available. I will say curb to gate at LAX if not in first class was one LONG LONG line, but that's just my experience.

• Like 1

We were on the Bliss last week. We were walk off and were in line around 7:30, but did not get off till 9:00. NCL uses the smaller building and tents as San Pedro has 2 terminals and NCL is assigned the smaller. It was a bit like chaotic getting on and off so allow more time.

Some people we met were calling the airlines trying to move from a 11:00 flight.

Yes the Crown Plaza is very walkable, we say lots of people doing it. Keep in mind if it is raining that would be an issue. The waterway has been improved and is a nice place to walk.

Also keep in mind in the winter fog can delay the docking

I would not do a flight before 12:00 from LAX

1 hour ago, seekatz said:

We were on the Bliss last week. We were walk off and were in line around 7:30, but did not get off till 9:00. NCL uses the smaller building and tents as San Pedro has 2 terminals and NCL is assigned the smaller. It was a bit like chaotic getting on and off so allow more time.

Some people we met were calling the airlines trying to move from a 11:00 flight.

Yes the Crown Plaza is very walkable, we say lots of people doing it. Keep in mind if it is raining that would be an issue. The waterway has been improved and is a nice place to walk.

Also keep in mind in the winter fog can delay the docking

I would not do a flight before 12:00 from LAX

@seekatz What was your experience boarding the Bliss at San Pedro. 

On 11/8/2022 at 1:24 AM, Bruin Steve said:

2.  I've cruised out of San Pedro often...When we cruised on RCCL Navigator of the Seas this past June, embarkation was quick and easy...we arrived at 10:20 and were onboard at 10:30.  I always show up early if I can..

We are booking a shuttle to the San Pedro Pier and are unsure of times.  When we check in online, is it difficult to get an early boarding time?  Hopefully, we can check in as soon as it opens.   I read somewhere where they are being very strict about arrival times. ??

On 11/7/2022 at 5:28 PM, SuzieQ521 said:

We (myself, husband and 4 year old son) are taking a Norwegian cruise out of San Pedro in January.

We were on the NCL Bliss about 10 days ago. Boarding took 15 minutes once inside the terminal. Honestly getting a porter to take our luggage was the hardest thing.

No hotels in Long Beach have cruise & airport shuttles.Only the airport hotels have shuttles and staying at LGB is a better option now than it was a few years ago. There are several new hotels and a nice shopping/dining venue called the Long Beach Exchange.

https://thelongbeachexchange.com/

Take the early flight; walkoff is easy.

On 11/7/2022 at 7:31 PM, New2cruise2022 said:

We are on the Bliss on Jan 22. Will watch this thread. We are contemplating flying but honestly just planning to drive right past Vegas and on to LA. 

Driving is simpler and more relaxing. That last day you can have a nice breakfast and relax, while those with flights scramble and get anxious.

• Like 1

@scottca075 We made our decision to drive. Still plan to park at the port. We have a Sunday embarkation and plan to arrive early, so staying at a hotel right in San Pedro isn’t necessary. Considering staying further north and close to the beach. I’m sure I’ll find something, but if anyone has suggestions of a nice place to stay, feel free to share. 

11 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

There really not any nice beaches near San Pedro. Redondo Beach to the north (15 miles) and Seal Beach to the south (13 miles), are the closest.

I was looking at Redondo. I would think it’s about 30 mins away on a Sunday morning. How long do you think?

On 11/20/2022 at 7:38 PM, scottca075 said:

We were on the NCL Bliss about 10 days ago. Boarding took 15 minutes once inside the terminal. Honestly getting a porter to take our luggage was the hardest thing.

No hotels in Long Beach have cruise & airport shuttles.Only the airport hotels have shuttles and staying at LGB is a better option now than it was a few years ago. There are several new hotels and a nice shopping/dining venue called the Long Beach Exchange.

https://thelongbeachexchange.com/

Take the early flight; walkoff is easy.

Driving is simpler and more relaxing. That last day you can have a nice breakfast and relax, while those with flights scramble and get anxious.

May I ask what time you arrived at the NCL Boarding at San Pedro? We are staying nearby so just trying to figure out the ideal window to arrive (with a young child in tow!). Thanks!

14 hours ago, SuzieQ521 said:

May I ask what time you arrived at the NCL Boarding at San Pedro? We are staying nearby so just trying to figure out the ideal window to arrive (with a young child in tow!). Thanks!

We boarded around 11:45AM on a scheduled 11:30AM.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2022 at 7:53 PM, scottca075 said:

They’re really not any nice beaches near San Pedro. Redondo Beach to the north (15 miles) and Seal Beach to the south (13 miles), are the closest.

San Pedro has several beach parks that are actually quite nice - vast improvement from the past.  Nor are they mega touristy, generally attracting locals (nice and quiet). Just a few miles from the cruise terminal, although it can be a 10-15 minute drive since driving via Pedro can be slow and wonky due to hills and constant lights/signs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scottca075 said:

Okay, I'll bite. What are the names of these beaches that are quite nice in San Pedro.

Sorry they don’t meet your standards - others agree with me since they’re highly reviewed - 4.5/5 on Google, 97% recommended on TripAdvisor, etc.  Maybe you haven’t visited recently?  Pedro has done an excellent job in recent years of cleaning up, which is in contrast to pretty much every other beach community in LA County. 

5 hours ago, Itried4498 said:

Sorry they don’t meet your standards - others agree with me since they’re highly reviewed - 4.5/5 on Google, 97% recommended on TripAdvisor, etc.  Maybe you haven’t visited recently?  Pedro has done an excellent job in recent years of cleaning up, which is in contrast to pretty much every other beach community in LA County. 

The names. What are the names of these beaches that are loved and adored by all?

The DoubleTree at the San Pedro port has a free shuttle to the cruise ship port. That amenity is not listed on the hotel website, but reviews that I read mentioned it. I called the hotel and asked if they had a free shuttle to the cruise ship port and was told yes. You would have to take an Uber from the airport to the hotel though. We will be staying there for our upcoming cruise. 

• Like 2

On 12/4/2022 at 11:01 AM, mafruc said:

The DoubleTree at the San Pedro port has a free shuttle to the cruise ship port. That amenity is not listed on the hotel website, but reviews that I read mentioned it. I called the hotel and asked if they had a free shuttle to the cruise ship port and was told yes. You would have to take an Uber from the airport to the hotel though. We will be staying there for our upcoming cruise. 

Hopefully BruinSteve or AtSeaMyLife will see this and respond. They both have recent experiences at the DoubleTree. If I recall, the shuttle is free, but you need reservations and if you don't get them, you could be out of luck. I think ASMY just used an Uber.

Yes, shuttle is free (though tipping the driver is a nice touch).  Arrange for a time when you check in to the hotel...The DT will also shuttle you to and from San Pedro restaurants for free.  If you are there by dinner tie the night before, unless you want Seafood at the walkable 22nd Street Landing, most other area restaurants will require a shguttle or Uber ride.  There are several good restaurant choices in Downtown San Pedro including my favorites, the San Pedro Brewing Company and the Green Onion.

And, yes, from the airport, you will need an Uber/Lyft, taxi, shuttle or limo...

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/8/2022 at 1:39 PM, Bruin Steve said:

And, yes, from the airport, you will need an Uber/Lyft, taxi, shuttle or limo...

So, may I ask, since we live not far from each other and neither of us need a hotel or airport, how do you get to and from San Pedro Terminal?

Before Covid, we used SuperShuttle but they're history. Primetime doesn't have the usual setup at the port anymore that we saw. 

We've never used Lyft or Uber, which several say is slow. The usual family ride will not be available for our next cruise, going or coming.

Any thoughts on Red Line shuttle? If you use a limo, we'd consider it. Appreciate a good referral. Thanks!

2 hours ago, mtnesterz said:

So, may I ask, since we live not far from each other and neither of us need a hotel or airport, how do you get to and from San Pedro Terminal?

I am sure Steve will be back to answer for himself, but I believe he has stayed at the DoubleTree San Pedro and Crowne Plaza with hotel and parking for cheaper than a shuttle from his house round trip.

We just drive and park onsite usually.