Tropical Storm/Hurricane: Flying to FLL Friday. Try to fly out tomorrow or risk it?

KKB

Yikes. When I saw the 5:30 national news, it seemed fine with our Friday flight (MDW connection; arriving FLL 6pm)

Now when I pull up weather channel.com, I'm NOT so sure....

SWA has many flights tomorrow showing quite a bit of availability; I suspect they would change us. 

Any thoughts by those with experience in this??

6 hours ago, FOPMan said:

By Friday, the storm will be in North Carolina. See https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at2+shtml/025739.shtml?mltoa34#contents.

Not only will the storm be far north by Friday, but the weather forecast for FLL calls for sunny skies with the usual possibility of late afternoon thunderstorms for Friday as well.  We're sailing on Saturday out of PE and I was also worried, but the forecasts look fine, even for our flight down on Friday. Only concern would be having to fly around the storm on the say down.

• Like 1

The weather warnings on weatherchannel.com were quite alarming last night...so we rebooked for tonight.

Then this morning, I can see it has shifted north & sped up so it would be starting to get nasty when we get in late tonight. AND I see the sunnier forecast for Friday...SOOO rebooked for Friday again!

Actually got a preferable flight time...still lots of connection options after ours should there been any issues.

Of course packed in a flurry last night & adrenaline made for short sleep night...but now I have time to be a bit more organized (and take a nap!)

• Like 1

The local weather promoters here in West Palm Beach are now anticipating a Wednesday night / Thursday morning hit, with clearing late on Thursday into the overnight.

They say the storm will go west, over Fort Myers (like they need more wind and rain), hang a U turn, and go northeast near Tampa and Orlando. Out to sea over Daytona / Jacksonville,  and then gather strength for a run up the US coast,

• Like 1

It's very windy in northern Palm Beach County / southern Martin County right now 5.30 pm. I can't imagine it will be fun flying into or out of the area.

Fort Lauderdale should be on the southern edge of the storm, which should mean lighter winds and rain.

Edited by Cienfuegos
additional info

How about the Orlando airport?  Supposed to fly out Thurs late night and arrive in MCO early Fri morning (6am arrival).  MCO is closing Wed at 4pm, and not sure when they will open again.  (google search for Ian looked to open 2 days later after closing?).  Airline is offering free changes, so wondering if I should do that?  Mia/FLL/Tampa?  Not sure that our Thurs night flight makes it out since we may not know if the airport reopens thurs night?

Leaning towards changing our flight?

We were to fly into west palm today (Wed) but got worried on Monday.  Our flight was in waivers so changed to Tuesday.  West Palm airport closed this morning so happy to be in FL.  I don't think the other south FL airports were affected so much.

Edited by mcmarya