Close In Booking Shore Excursion and Dining Availability

jjfarns

We are looking at booking the Iconic Western Mediterranean cruise with a December 13, 2022 departure out of Rome. Does anyone have experience with the availability of the both included and optional shore excursions when booking this close to departure? I’m not too worried about the dinner reservations as out experience is that can usually be made pretty easily when you are on board. 

1 hour ago, jjfarns said:

We are looking at booking the Iconic Western Mediterranean cruise with a December 13, 2022 departure out of Rome. Does anyone have experience with the availability of the both included and optional shore excursions when booking this close to departure? I’m not too worried about the dinner reservations as out experience is that can usually be made pretty easily when you are on board. 

Since all cabin categories have already chosen both included and optional excursions, i would think there are slim or no pickings left.  Most likely the included ones are afternoon times only since most people like morning ones.  I suggest finding and joining the Roll Call for this specific sailing date/ship/itinerary and ask there if anything is left.  

Check out ItalyTours.EU for Italy ports and Barcelona day tours.com for tours in Barcelona and other cities.  For small group tours, there is a minimum number requirement. You can sign up for yourself, and operator will pair you with others. For me, only the Barcelona tour is confirmed. I am still waiting for the other tours in Italy. It is still worth trying.

Unless you do not mind taking included tours, expect to book some if not most independent excursions on your own.  Viking is good for taking you to places with good accommodation and acceptable food, but if you want to experience the places, higher-end cruises or land tours are the only ways.

Our experience in 2019 when booking about six weeks before a northern TA was that the optional excursions we wanted were sold out. Through our roll call we were able to book private excursions with others in a similar situation. Private excursions are frequently less expensive than Viking’s paid excursions and usually  are a much smaller group. For the included excursions—if full, either ask the booking agent if you can reserve or write to tellus@vikingcruises.com and tell them your situation. You shouldn’t have any trouble having a great cruise, just might have to do a little more legwork.

6 hours ago, jjfarns said:

We did this Rome-Barcelona cruise end of November 2021 on the Sea (followed by the Transatlantic to San Juan).

I would imagine many of the optional shore excursions might be booked, but you never know.  I do remember seeing many of them with openings when we were on board however.  You'll not know until you book.  I wouldn't make a booking decision based on excursion availability however.  You will ALWAYS get an included tour at each stop, even if they appear full.  Viking adds additional ones as needed.  Ones we absolutely loved were:  Pisa walking tour, Sete walking tour, and Barcelona walking tour.  We skipped Marseilles due to severe weather conditions but heard it was still good.   I would also start looking at independent third party tours.  Are you going to Rome ahead of time?  If so, there are a lot of options.  Are you staying in Barcelona afterwards?  If so, Barcelona Day tours is fabulous (La Sagrada or Montserrat).  

It is a great cruise and packed full, so make sure you are well rested, in shape, and ready to go get 'em !!