Policy & other changes

Banditswife

It seems in the past 5-6 days I have read about at least 3 changes in policy on this Holland America Board.  Thank you to recent cruisers who are keeping us informed.

1) SBP- signature beverage pkg now only charges the difference + gratuity for drinks over $11, where before the full price + gratuity were charged.

2) Laundry price increase- it seems unlimited laundry has gone from $7 - $9 per day & by the bag has gone from $20 - $30 per bag.  This may not be fleet wide yet, but recent NS guests have reported the increase.

3) Floral arrangements - increase in price & new designs with new names.  When looking at what was available a week ago & what is available now, vases are different.  Vases can be purchased separately from arrangements.  I am wondering if the ships have been given these updated versions & whether they will have the vases pictured on the web site.

Are there any other changes coming?  Any other changes HAL cruisers should be aware of?  I love reading posts on this board & being able to know these things before we board the ship.  Thanks to all who contribute.

• Like 1

Soap, shampoo, conditioner, Elemis body lotion are all in dispensers.  We were unable to get bar soap.  We have always received it when we asked our room stewards.  This time a person from housekeeping came to our stateroom to say it was unavailable.  If you want bar soap for the shower…take your own.

• Like 3

Pillow chocolates are provided only on “Dressy” nights, although you may be able to charm your room stewards into more frequent deliveries.  I wish HAL stewards would give people a chocolates choice of “yes, please” or “no, i don’t enjoy them”.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, oaktreerb said:

Soap, shampoo, conditioner, Elemis body lotion are all in dispensers.  We were unable to get bar soap.  We have always received it when we asked our room stewards.  This time a person from housekeeping came to our stateroom to say it was unavailable.  If you want bar soap for the shower…take your own.

This is good to know.  My hubby is literally 1 handed & using soap dispenser is difficult.  He can do it, it is just easier with a bar.

27 minutes ago, oaktreerb said:

Pillow chocolates are provided only on “Dressy” nights, although you may be able to charm your room stewards into more frequent deliveries.  I wish HAL stewards would give people a chocolates choice of “yes, please” or “no, i don’t enjoy them”.

This pillow chocolate thing has been going on for a year on the koningsdam.  

2 hours ago, oaktreerb said:

We were unable to get bar soap.  We have always received it when we asked our room stewards.  This time a person from housekeeping came to our stateroom to say it was unavailable.  If you want bar soap for the shower…take your own.

Aha! This must be why I sniped the Crabtree & Evelyn Bath and Facial Bars from our recent hotel stay, still in their little boxes! It should be just enough to get us through our B2B over NYE.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Banditswife said:

2) Laundry price increase- it seems unlimited laundry has gone from $7 - $9 per day & by the bag has gone from $20 - $30 per bag.  This may not be fleet wide yet, but recent NS guests have reported the increase.

My NYE K'dam Mexican Riviera cruise still lets me pre-reserve unlimited laundry at $63 ($7 x 9-days). I suspect that the ports visited has something to do with the reports of the higher prices...

ETA, the higher prices cited are the European prices of long-standing.

Edited by crystalspin
  • Like 1

I am on the Oosterdam, requested and received bar soap.

Stuffed a bag full of laundry,  amazed at what I could get in the bag, well worth the $30 ( European price).

Happy to answer specific questions.

8 hours ago, crystalspin said:

My NYE K'dam Mexican Riviera cruise still lets me pre-reserve unlimited laundry at $63 ($7 x 9-days). I suspect that the ports visited has something to do with the reports of the higher prices...

ETA, the higher prices cited are the European prices of long-standing.

This is the price it shows on the sheet hanging in my closet on the koningsdam.  I get free laundry so I don’t know if it’s accurate.