About to book our first MSC cruise. What do I absolutely need to know?

Cathy in Boston

4 hours ago, Stockjock said:

In terms of your specific question, i.e. dinner package not being offered, if you don't care too much about getting the same cabin, you could simply rebook a new reservation and add that Trilogy package at the time of booking.  

Completely different pricing today from last Monday's offer and not to my advantage.  Was just under the impression, I'd be able to book a dining package.  With 25 days on my itinerary, the variety would have been nice.

Thanks for your response.

14 hours ago, Steeler Nation At Sea said:

Completely different pricing today from last Monday's offer and not to my advantage.  Was just under the impression, I'd be able to book a dining package.  With 25 days on my itinerary, the variety would have been nice.

Thanks for your response.

As mentioned, on my upcoming winter cruise, no dining packages were offered at the time of booking and none in my in the "Plan my Cruise" section.  However, when I called MSC, they were able to add Trilogy for $125 per person, which is considered more than I paid last time.  I skipped it this time, but that might be an option for you, i.e. calling (as much as I hate calling MSC for anything, although this shouldn't be rocket science).  Or, you could wait until onboard, as you have a decent chance they'd offer some sort of a dining package special, but of course, no guarantees.

• Thanks 1

Hi all,

Well, we are booked!  We found a “local” travel agent who gets really good reviews, so we got in touch with her.  She said we were easy because we basically knew everything we wanted.  We booked a deluxe grand suite in the Yacht Club for April 2024.

I wanted to thank everyone for their great advice.  I’ll be lurking trying to learn more from you all.  It will be interesting to compare the Celebrity Retreat to the MSC Yacht Club.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cathy in Boston said:

Hi all,

Well, we are booked!  We found a “local” travel agent who gets really good reviews, so we got in touch with her.  She said we were easy because we basically knew everything we wanted.  We booked a deluxe grand suite in the Yacht Club for April 2024.

I wanted to thank everyone for their great advice.  I’ll be lurking trying to learn more from you all.  It will be interesting to compare the Celebrity Retreat to the MSC Yacht Club.

Woohoo!  Really happy for you.  I think you will be pleased with your decision to try YC and MSC.

Good thread. Thank you.

Last minute changes have me going to have me sailing out of Brazil next month.

Question for the MSC Pros... A or B:

Plan A is the Seaview. 2018 build and 5,429 pax - which is larger than I have ever been on. My "Suite-spot" (bad word-play) is the 3600ish pax Princess boats. Premium Suite on the Stern overlooking the wake - one of my favorite places on the ship. The Seaview get 5* on that rating site that we're not allowed to talk about.

Plan B is the Preziosa - 2013 build and I don't see it's been refurb'd. 3.5* on that site. However for just $1k more than Plan A, we're be in the Yacht Club - which honestly is the envy of many mainstream cruise line folks. Many folks in the US with cruise line loyalty bash MSC, but I have heard nothing but great things about YC.

Forget the itinerary... irrelevant to the the decision. Older ship without the refurb but in YC, or the newer boat. Again, only $1k difference so I will take that out of the decision making process.

If it matters, I'm Elite or near elite on many of the major lines but not elite enough to ger Black / Diamond with MSC, the only matched me to Gold.  The "better half" is a new cruiser.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Griff

Oh, and another thing... are the whirlpool balconies "worth it"?  (I know, subjective...) But the whirlpool balcony on Seaview equals YC on Preziosa. 

Edited by Griff4AU
... and another thing...

1 minute ago, Griff4AU said:

Plan B is the Preziosa - 2013 build and I don't see it's been refurb'd. 3.5* on that site. However for just $1k more than Plan A, we're be in the Yacht Club - which honestly is the envy of many mainstream cruise line folks. Many folks in the US with cruise line loyalty bash MSC, but I have heard nothing but great things about YC.

YC all day long and twice on Sunday please!  Your embarkation port of Brazil (did I read that right?) makes it even more of a no-brainer.  You just can't beat the priority check in and boarding offered in YC and to me, that's a comfort especially if I'm boarding in a foreign country.  Seaview is newer but having been on a new ship (Seashore) and an older ship (Meraviglia) I saw no difference in how the ships were maintained and both sparkled like a shiny new penny. 

8 minutes ago, Griff4AU said:

.....Question for the MSC Pros... A or B:

Plan A is the Seaview. 2018 build and 5,429 pax - which is larger than I have ever been on. My "Suite-spot" (bad word-play) is the 3600ish pax Princess boats. Premium Suite on the Stern overlooking the wake - one of my favorite places on the ship. The Seaview get 5* on that rating site that we're not allowed to talk about.

We have been in YC on both ships. Whilst Seaview is much newer, outwith YC wouldn't touch it. We loved Preziosa YC, be aware the YC restaurant is Aft and not in the YC enclave but if mobility is good not an issue at all....indeed, we enjoyed traversing the ship length to go there for all meals.

To summarise, go YC....there's no better way to do it!

4 minutes ago, Griff4AU said:

Thanks both.

I think the Boss will be "very spoiled" with YC as her first sailing! 

That's the problem....we've done 6 YC's now, and after the first 4 we tried Aurea....it was awful, compared to YC and we decided only YC going forward. That's the health alert, once YC nothing and I mean NOTHING else will do on MSC! 😉

• Like 1

Thanks all for the advice. 

We'll be on the Preziosa for New Year's Eve and will get to experience the MSC Yacht Club for the first time. This may be a "game changer" and change how I look at cruise bookings. 

Not going to post this separately and I know CC hate TA talk... BUT... if any of you are thinking about an MSC cruise.. now is the time to book with your INDEPENDENT TA.  And I offer that NOT referring to the Black Friday sales. 

Honestly I never thought I'd be on MSC, but I am absolutely very excited about this.