Clap sticks

Mrs f.

You guys know everything.....we will be in Sydney for a week before our 35 day circumnavigation Australia tour.  My teen age grandson has asked for clap sticks.  Is there a place in Sydney to get nice, authentic ones?  I know nothing about them.

He is very into music. Already has a didgeridoo .  Thanks so much.

Edited by Mrs f.
Spelling

Aboriginal clapping sticks?

There are several shops in the Rocks (just by the overseas cruise terminal at) and by the opera house that sell reasonably authentic *As in not made in China* clapping sticks. 

Range from a few $ to several hundred.

images.jpeg-3.jpg

3 hours ago, buchhalm said:

Aboriginal clapping sticks?

There are several shops in the Rocks (just by the overseas cruise terminal at) and by the opera house that sell reasonably authentic *As in not made in China* clapping sticks. 

Range from a few $ to several hundred.

images.jpeg-3.jpg

What a beautiful gift for your grandson!  Ask him does he know about the Aussie sticks with the bottle tops on top? I don't know the name, but was shown a couple in a private home in Newfoundland, Canada and at the Ozark Folk Centre in Arkansas. 

31 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

What a beautiful gift for your grandson!  Ask him does he know about the Aussie sticks with the bottle tops on top? I don't know the name, but was shown a couple in a private home in Newfoundland, Canada and at the Ozark Folk Centre in Arkansas. 

Lagerphone

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, kaseyoz said:

You may need to check if bringing them onboard , if you need to declare them when getting off, if international cruise.

wood items.

When you arrive in Australia (and that includes disembarking from a cruise) in-coming passengers have to declare any wood items. Keep the items handy as a Quarantine Officer will want to inspect them. They will be looking for wood-borer holes in the timber. This is a quick and painless operation. I doubt that the items you are interested in would have borers, but it is worth having a quick look before you buy a particular item. Years ago a Quarantine Officer told us they look for small tacks put into places where they are not required to hold pieces of timber together. This can be done to disguise a borer hole. Once again, I think this is highly unlikely in the items you are interested in.