about the Mixed cabin flights and which would you choose..

Camelia-

Hi everyone,

You were all so helpful in answering my last question that I hoped you might clarify something else for me. Based on your comments my cousin has decided on two possible flights from Toronto to Barcelona. I know most of you thought that Zurich should be her first choice but she found that there was only an hour and a half layover so that seemed much too short a time.

She is considering: a) one flight connecting via Brussels with a layover of 4 hours and 45 minutes or b) flight connecting through Frankfurt with a layover of 3 hours and twenty minutes. Not really sure what is a realistic layover time frame..she doesn't want to wait longer than she has to but of course she doesn't want to have to rush especially in light of possible late arrivals.

Also..both say mixed cabins if choosing Premium Economy and I know what that means but how do you know which flight will be economy? I would expect that it would be the shorter flight but just not sure..she really wants to use her Aeroplan miles and will have to find out how many miles she will need one way for PE or Business class.

Appreciate knowing your thoughts...with thanks..

When you search for Aeroplan tickets, when you see the options displaying mixed cabin you can hover over them with your mouse and it will show the percentage of the flights in the specified cabin. Then when you click on the option it will open up boxes from which you can choose your reward, and that will specify which flights are in economy rather than PE.

I think a 1:30 connection in ZRH is plenty, but everybody has to go with their own comfort level so either one of the options would work too.

Tell your cousin to make sure she checks out the business class options as well - often they aren't that many points more than PE and you have lounge access as well.

Almost all intra-European flights are operated with equipment that offers just economy and business class - or actually, in most cases strictly speaking the whole plane is equipped with similar seats and part of the front of the plane is just designated as business class and assuming the usual 3+3 seating in narrow body airliner, the middle seats are blocked and only the window and aisle seats are occupied. Then of course, there are usually some difference in meal and drink service that differentiate economy and business class.