Skagway on Celebrity

kayehall

I am looking at 2 excursions in Skagway.  First one is White Pass Scenic Railway, which requires a passport.  The 2nd is Gold Fever/Sled Dogs/Scenic railway, no passport required.  I understand the passport portion is because of entering Canada.  What is different with the Railroad portion?  Am I missing some awesome scenery by shortening the railway portion?  Is the railway portion round trip or is there a bus involved somewhere?

Is Tracy Arm Fjord the same as Dawes Glacier?  If not, what stop would be an excursion to Tracy Arm Fjord?

There are two types of railroad excursions.  One simply goes up to the summit, reverses the engines and comes back down, noone gets off.  It does not require a passport.  However, if the train ride takes you up, you get off and return by bus, usually, it does require a passport.  EM

I've been to Skagway a number of times, both as cruise ship excursions and by road.  "Essiesmom" has provided a great answer.  The scenery is great whether you take the White Pass or simply drive.

Tracy Arm Fjord is not "the same as Dawes Glacier."  Dawes Glacier is at the end of Endicott Arm.  Tracy Arm is north of Endicott Arm, and Sawyer Glacier is at the end of Tracy Arm.

We have taken the small boat excursion offered by Celebrity to Dawes Glacier.  We tendered off the Solstice onto a two level boat (operated by Allen Marine) and were able to approach Dawes Glacier much closer than the cruise ship could do so.  On the return to Juneau the Allen Marine vessel also diverted into Fords Terror.  We rejoined the Solstice shortly after it docked in Juneau.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

I've been to Skagway a number of times, both as cruise ship excursions and by road.  "Essiesmom" has provided a great answer.  The scenery is great whether you take the White Pass or simply drive.

Tracy Arm Fjord is not "the same as Dawes Glacier."  Dawes Glacier is at the end of Endicott Arm.  Tracy Arm is north of Endicott Arm, and Sawyer Glacier is at the end of Tracy Arm.

We have taken the small boat excursion offered by Celebrity to Dawes Glacier.  We tendered off the Solstice onto a two level boat (operated by Allen Marine) and were able to approach Dawes Glacier much closer than the cruise ship could do so.  On the return to Juneau the Allen Marine vessel also diverted into Fords Terror.  We rejoined the Solstice shortly after it docked in Juneau.

One of days is cruising Dawes Glacier.  So I shouldn't need to do an excursions to there, correct?  I tell ya, Alaska is really throwing me for a loop!!!  Just not knowing the logistics of the area is making it difficult to plan

46 minutes ago, kayehall said:

One of days is cruising Dawes Glacier.  So I shouldn't need to do an excursions to there, correct?  I tell ya, Alaska is really throwing me for a loop!!!  Just not knowing the logistics of the area is making it difficult to plan

While the ship will cruise up Endicott Arm with the naturalist providing narration there is an optimal excursion which I described in my prior post (#3).  There are very limited spaces, and this excursion generally sells out prior to the actual cruise.  We have both remained on the cruise ship and also have taken the small boat excursion which approaches Dawes much closer than the ship can navigate through the fairly narrow channel which has numerous ice bergs.  After visiting Dawes the cruise ship will head to Juneau but will not visit Fords Terror (this small narrow fjord is named after a person who had to deal with tidal conditions, hence the "terror").  After the small (two level) boat visits Fords Terror it then heads to Juneau.  The cruise ship is too large to navigate Fords Terror.  You don't do an excursion actually to Dawes itself (ie, no walking on this massive glacier), but the small boat experience will take you closer to the glacier face, which will be actively calving (or at least it has every time we have visited).  The calving will also be visible from the cruise ship.  Hope this is clear.

• Like 2

On 11/27/2022 at 12:15 PM, kayehall said:

I am looking at 2 excursions in Skagway.  First one is White Pass Scenic Railway, which requires a passport.  The 2nd is Gold Fever/Sled Dogs/Scenic railway, no passport required.  I understand the passport portion is because of entering Canada.  What is different with the Railroad portion?  Am I missing some awesome scenery by shortening the railway portion?  Is the railway portion round trip or is there a bus involved somewhere?

Is Tracy Arm Fjord the same as Dawes Glacier?  If not, what stop would be an excursion to Tracy Arm Fjord?

I have confirmed gold fever/sled dogs/scenic railway excursion.  Too excited!!!!

I took the White Pass Rail in September. At the time, no passport was required, although we did venture a few yards into Canada to turn around. My understanding was that the original route deeper into Canada had been truncated due to a disagreement with the rail line and the government.

We rented a car in Dawson.  Had time to have lunch in Carcross, see all the scenery better than the train as it is mostly in the valley, drive to Dyea - the original town, visit the cemetery and see the whole town.

Sourdough car rental.  Like rent a wreck.  Bring your passports.

Tourism office can provide all the information you need.

Edited by Arizona Wildcat

• 1 month later...
On 11/27/2022 at 5:17 PM, Northern Aurora said:

While the ship will cruise up Endicott Arm with the naturalist providing narration there is an optimal excursion which I described in my prior post (#3).  There are very limited spaces, and this excursion generally sells out prior to the actual cruise.  We have both remained on the cruise ship and also have taken the small boat excursion which approaches Dawes much closer than the ship can navigate through the fairly narrow channel which has numerous ice bergs.  After visiting Dawes the cruise ship will head to Juneau but will not visit Fords Terror (this small narrow fjord is named after a person who had to deal with tidal conditions, hence the "terror").  After the small (two level) boat visits Fords Terror it then heads to Juneau.  The cruise ship is too large to navigate Fords Terror.  You don't do an excursion actually to Dawes itself (ie, no walking on this massive glacier), but the small boat experience will take you closer to the glacier face, which will be actively calving (or at least it has every time we have visited).  The calving will also be visible from the cruise ship.  Hope this is clear.

Do you feel the small boat tour is worth it?  It sounds like you get a much closer look and some different fjord opportunities than what staying on the cruise ship offers.  We are going in late May and have heard that the big ship may not get very far into the fjord that time of year, so I'm thinking the small boat tour is our best shot at maybe seeing the Dawes Glacier, our 1st time seeing it, but 7th Alaska cruise overall.

7 minutes ago, wilsonzoo said:

Do you feel the small boat tour is worth it?  It sounds like you get a much closer look and some different fjord opportunities than what staying on the cruise ship offers.  We are going in late May and have heard that the big ship may not get very far into the fjord that time of year, so I'm thinking the small boat tour is our best shot at maybe seeing the Dawes Glacier, our 1st time seeing it, but 7th Alaska cruise overall.

The ice has receded so seeing Dawes will be fine unless weather is poor.  After 7 times really suggest flying to Glacier Bay from Juneau and spending 2 or 3 nights for a much better look.  Juneau has a nice hike to the foot of Mendenhall and enough places to keep one busy for 3 days as well including the Alaska State Museum.   The town is REALLY nice when no cruiseships in port.  LOL.

On 11/27/2022 at 11:25 AM, Northern Aurora said:

These are Great and I recommend them !

Be sure to dress Warm as you will want to be on deck in the open to See what  you paid to get close to.

You can Hear the Glacier grinding and cracking and chunks the size of a house breaking off the face.

Be sure to Book this Pre Cruise because it will Sell Out.

On 11/27/2022 at 8:17 PM, Northern Aurora said:

Are they still doing the excursion up the Endicott Arm to the Glacier? We booked that excursion for a September cruise but about 3 or 4 weeks after we booked it they canceled it. We assumed that they are no longer doing it for some reason??

Edited by Loyal Buckeye
Clarify my first post

Just now, Loyal Buckeye said:

Are they still doing the excursion to the Glacier? We booked that excursion for a September cruise but about 3 or 4 weeks after we booked it they canceled it. We assumed that they are no longer doing it for some reason??

That excursion is both weather and operator dependent.  If windy, as it often is, the tour cannot be safely operated.  Probably cancelled for that reason.  

To actually reach a glacier the Juneau city bus takes you to Mendenhall where an hour hike - strenuous - gets you up to the foot of the glacier.

Best easy glacier walk is just North of Seward.  Exit Glacier is a short drive north of town.  Easy hike and usually not crowded.

As for Skagway - as I said driving you get to see everything from Carcross to Dyea to all of Skagway.  Just rent early.  Only a few cars.  We used Sourdough Rental a few years ago. 

Just now, Arizona Wildcat said:

That excursion is both weather and operator dependent.  If windy, as it often is, the tour cannot be safely operated.  Probably cancelled for that reason.  

To actually reach a glacier the Juneau city bus takes you to Mendenhall where an hour hike - strenuous - gets you up to the foot of the glacier.

Best easy glacier walk is just North of Seward.  Exit Glacier is a short drive north of town.  Easy hike and usually not crowded.

As for Skagway - as I said driving you get to see everything from Carcross to Dyea to all of Skagway.  Just rent early.  Only a few cars.  We used Sourdough Rental a few years ago. 

Thank you.