Day in NY after cruise doable?

GizmoCat

So, I have a flight home to UK at 9pm from JFK after my Getaway cruise in February.  Airfare and transports arranged by NCL.  My question is, is it feasible to take the transfer to the airport, leave my luggage and then travel into Manhattan for the day for some sightseeing then get back to airport by about 6pm to check in?  I don't really want to hang around the airport all day.  The other option is to take the NCL sightseeing excursion which will do the airport drop off afterwards but I reckon that would have me back at the airport by early afternoon.  

1 minute ago, mjkacmom said:

I doubt you can check bags that early before your flight, and the trip can take an hour each way. Maybe look into luggage storage in Manhattan, post on the east coast departures board.

Exactly — please ask for options over on the East Coast departures board. Doing two trips to JFK in the same day sounds like an enormous waste of time, putting aside all the other issues with luggage. 

51 minutes ago, jdvmd said:

We did a Royal Caribbean sightseeing excursion that dropped us off at JFK and it was very good. We got to the airport mid afternoon and ended up in the lounge. We were flying to Geneva.

An excursion after the cruise is the best scenario.

A trip to JFK from Manhattan cruise terminal will take 1hr+ at that time in the morning. Then to return to Manhattan and then back to JFK, you will spend most of the day in traffic.

Don't travel all the way to JFK. When my kids come to NY from  Atlanta they always go to a Hockey game at Madison Square Garden before going home. They store their luggage at places they find online ( some hotels, or computer repair shops). This way you will have from 9 am until late afternoon in the City. Give yourself extra time to get out to the airport if you are leaving the city rush hour ( starts around 4). You can see a lot in that time. If it's the weekend or a Wednesday you could even see a  matinee Broadway show! Go to the top of the Empire State Building or World Trade. eat lunch at Katz's Deli.