Standard Walker v.s. Rollator for Promendade Deck Strolls

Any thoughts or comments on the use of a standard walker v.s. a rollator for walking on the promenade deck?  DW has lost most of her vision due to brain surgery so walking on a deck with "motion in the ocean" going on will be a little more challenging.

I'm thinking that the standard walker would be more stable than a rollator, especially when at sea. But the rollator could be very nice for strolling when docked.

10 hours ago, Oak Hill Cruisers said:

Any thoughts or comments on the use of a standard walker v.s. a rollator for walking on the promenade deck?  DW has lost most of her vision due to brain surgery so walking on a deck with "motion in the ocean" going on will be a little more challenging.

I'm thinking that the standard walker would be more stable than a rollator, especially when at sea. But the rollator could be very nice for strolling when docked.

And the  has a seat

• Like 1

I think a rollator is far better than a regular walker, but you know your DW's abilities. 

Is this going to be a Caribbean cruise?    My experience on most sea days is that the ship is just sitting or is going relatively slow.  They pick up the speed at night. 

While not cruise specific - I LOVE my rollator and since I found one that is taller (about two weeks ago)  - no more stooping, my enjoyment has increased tremendously. I can even keep up with walking with my partner now. Such joy. I am taking this rollator on my cruise at the end of the month and have also ordered a scooter. Have to figure out how to manage this because I don't know how long it is from the dock to excursions and much prefer the rollator if at all possible. Does anyone know if using a rollator from dock to the excursions is feasible? 

I can't speak for using the rollator on excursions but I must say, use a rollator for sure!  It is way more stable than a standard walker.  It will support you when a walker fails; it has wonderful brakes that will give you confidence in any situation.  It has a greater wheelbase than any walker that I have seen.  My rollator allows me to walk the same speed as my wife, who is not disabled; before I got the rollator I could only walk about half her speed.  Those brakes can be used for steering too, especially when walking on an inclined sideways slant, and of course when descending an incline.  And when you need to go up a step, you can go up to it, grab the brakes and tilt the rollator back, get the front wheels on and you are home free.  And if you choose one which collapses side to side like this one, you can navigate narrow spots without problems.

40ECED56-F663-4418-8B5B-EDC335D70E3A_1_105_c.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On our fifteen-day cruise to Hawaii out of San Pedro, my pedometer told me I averaged almost 7,000 steps per day using my rollator.  This included not only just plain navigating around the ship, but also promenade deck strolls.  Most of the time there was little if any ship movement (other than forward!), but when there was some, the rollator was so stable I ignored it.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

The adjustable height Drive rollator like in your photo comes in 3 different model heights:  tall, regular, and hemi (short).  Very flexible height options between the model choices and height adjustments within each model!

I love mine!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely the rollator -- the seat + more stability + a smoother movement!

When I choose to use my old walker, the vibration (on less than smooth surfaces) goes up my arms & it VERY uncomfortable  (painful later).

1 hour ago, DRS/NC said:

Definitely the rollator -- the seat + more stability + a smoother movement!

When I choose to use my old walker, the vibration (on less than smooth surfaces) goes up my arms & it VERY uncomfortable  (painful later).

What is a Walker? I just purchased the 1 with the seat it does have wheels and brakes. Is that called a rollator?

Thanks to all for their comments and suggestions.

Based on her recent progress with her rollator, we will definitely take it on our next big cruise (Voyage of the Vikings).

We will leave her transporter-wheelchair in our car and if we have to have a wheelchair aboard ship due to illness, we'll get one from the ship.

14 hours ago, Oak Hill Cruisers said:

Based on her recent progress with her rollator, we will definitely take it on our next big cruise (Voyage of the Vikings).

We will leave her transporter-wheelchair in our car and if we have to have a wheelchair aboard ship due to illness, we'll get one from the ship.

Are you going to be on Holland America?    If you think you might need a wheelchair while on the ship, you will need to provide your own.   This is the case with nearly every cruise line.   A wheelchair can be easily rented and will be in your room when you get on the ship.   If you are going to be on Holland, this is direct from their website:

Holland America Line is no longer able to provide complimentary wheelchair assistance for any purpose other than embarkation, disembarkation, and emergency situations. Holland America Line wheelchairs are not available for shore excursions or for use on board. If you will require regular use of a wheelchair, we recommend that you bring your own wheelchair with you. You may also make advance rental arrangements prior to your sailing and have a wheelchair delivered directly to the ship for use on board and in ports of call.  

Thanks for the heads-up on the wheelchair.  We're hoping that, by July, she will have progressed with her PT and that she can get by with a rollator only.  If she gets ill, we'll probably have to go to the ship's medical center and we could ask for a wheelchair to use till she gets stronger and can go back to her rollator.

Just dreading having to take both a transport chair and a rollator on the plane.

30 minutes ago, Oak Hill Cruisers said:

Just dreading having to take both a transport chair and a rollator on the plane.

If you take the rollator, think about renting a wheel/transport chair (to be waiting for you in your room when you board).   That way you will only have to take the rollator on the plane. 

On another note, the ships are huge, the docks can be super long and then there is navigating around your port stop.    In other words, there can be a lot of walking especially if you get off the ship.  Having a wheelchair can save the day for someone who may not be able to walk very far or does not have very much stamina.  

Try Scootaround.com.   Boston is one of the ports they serve.   I don't know if this will work on a longer cruise, but try discount code USCRUISE (from United Spinal) to see if you can get a discount.   You may have to call Scootaround for the discount to be applied.  

You will need to let Holland know you are bringing mobility equipment.  See here:

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/accessibility.html

Let us know if Scootaround worked for you.   

PS:   Special Needs and Scootaround are by far the most mentioned mobility (and special needs) equipment rental companies.   They have special permission on most (but not all) cruise ships to bring their equipment aboard and also to retrieve it at the end of the cruise.   So you must rent from a company (like these two) who are authorized by whatever cruise line you are on.