Brewed Coffee in Buffet and MDR during breakfast? Quality?

aprilsp88

4 minutes ago, Navybikermom said:

Lavazza and Illy are my favorite coffees. Thanks to your detailed explanation, I now know why! Of course Lavazza is impossible to find in my part of rural Tennessee, but sometimes Wally World has Illy. Thank goodness for online shopping. 

I enjoy the Lido coffee, but then being a sailor I am used to some pretty savage brews. I once used a dirty T-shirt as a filter out in the field…

I order, online, my Lavazza beans and buy it by the case (6 Kilo bags).  It gets the cost down to less than $10 per pound and the shelf life of the vacuum sealed beans are about a year.  Illy's espresso roast is more to my taste but too darn expensive.

Hank

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Starbucks is the worst coffee ever.  I don’t understand why people enjoy it.  Judging from the non stop line on my last cruise at explorations cafe the coffee in the restaurants is not well liked.

Yes, I can't stand Starbucks...too strong.  I'm always up at exporations in the morning for a decent cup of coffee. Lido coffee is horrible.  Why is this the one consistent thing about Holland America?  It's been many years since they had a good coffee in Lido, or ever.

• Like 1

I thought the coffee in the Lido on our October Rotterdam cruise was much better than pre covid. I wondered if HAL had changed brands. I drink it black and always enjoyed my morning coffee.

1 hour ago, albingirl said:

Yes, I can't stand Starbucks...too strong.  I'm always up at exporations in the morning for a decent cup of coffee. Lido coffee is horrible.  Why is this the one consistent thing about Holland America?  It's been many years since they had a good coffee in Lido, or ever.

I like strong coffee but Starbucks is just bitter.  They can’t even get a simple order straight and blame it on you if they do it wrong.  Actually I remember raving about the coffee in the mdr about 25 years ago.  I don’t know what they had at that time.  The coffee tastes like water the few times I’ve had it in the lido.

• Like 1

On 12/10/2022 at 5:36 AM, Hlitner said:

I order, online, my Lavazza beans and buy it by the case (6 Kilo bags).  It gets the cost down to less than $10 per pound and the shelf life of the vacuum sealed beans are about a year.  Illy's espresso roast is more to my taste but too darn expensive.

Hank

@HlitnerCertain Costco business center carry Lavazza.

Coffee is an individual taste; what some people like, others don't.  On past trips we have thought that the coffee in the big pots in the Lido has been just OK.  I have seen the brewers being loaded from bags of Beukenhorst, which is a reputable commercial brand from the Netherlands.  On our recent cruise on the Nieuw Statendam we thought the Lido coffee was much better, and I found out the 'secret'.  The brewers were being loaded with half Beukenhorst, and half Mondrian Espresso (which is a Beukenhorst brand). https://www.beukenhorst.com/

• Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

we were on rotterdam over Christmas.  Lido coffee was super-weak, no body to it whatsoever.  I still drank it.  At night sometimes we'd stop in for decaf and dessert and the decaf may as well have been water.  I griped on the post-cruise survey.  That was my only real issue with any of the food and drink (although our kids would have liked easier access to the tea and lemonade).

Next hal cruise I might bring my own 3-in-1's or maybe good instant (although Starbucks is not liked here, I found their little packets of instant to be excellent when I last had them a few years ago).

coffee flavor is Totally subjective -   I like HAL coffee - but I do not claim to be a coffee pro - I like bring your own if its not good enough - there will always be things not 'good enough'  flexible is what is needed on any cruise at any time

• Like 1