Positive lesson learned for having to Cancel a Silversea cruise two weeks prior to Embark

WesW

Sharing experiences with trip cancellation that resulted in a refund of my Silversea cruise fare. Yesterday, received word that Chase's eclaims online approved my September trip cancellation refund request for a Silversea cruise. Eclaims sent nearly $10,000 to my bank.

I had an Azores Expedition booked for September, two weeks prior my wife fractured her tibia resulting in our need to remain home for the next 4-6 weeks to assist her in recovery.  I canceled my Expedition cruise 14 days before embarking.

Fortunately, had paid for this cruise with Chase Sapphire reserve Visa card.  This card covers $10,000 per person, $20,000 total per trip:  What is covered?  Nonrefundable, prepaid expenses for a trip that is cancelled or interrupted due to sickness, accidental injury, loss of life, severe weather, terrorist actions, hijacking, jury duty or court subpoena that can't be postponed or waived (including accidents, sickness to an immediate family member). You also get lost luggage and delayed baggage coverage as well as other benefits (rental car insurance coverage)

So, if you want $10,000 of trip cancellation coverage or $20,000 trip cancellation coverage for your Silversea cruise, consider paying for part of it or all of it with your Chase sapphire reserve.  Also, you get 3x Chase points for every travel dollar you spend, so if your cruise is $20,000 you get 60,000 chase points which are good for travel (hotels, flights, rental cars) and at a 3:1 ratio ($20K=$600 cash.   A rule of thumb I generally use is the Silversea cruise is less than $15000 I pay with American Express Platinum card (get $300 SBC and botttle of premium champagne).  If the cruise fare is more than $15,000 then I pay with Chase Sapphire Reserve and get more than $450 Cash, means more to me than $300 SBC and a bottle of nice Champagne.

Hope this is helpful
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 8

Glad that worked out and thanks for sharing. That’s my go to card. It has always been great but they keep making it greater by adding more and more perks.  Although the annual fee is $550 I easily get 5x that back per year. Usually more. In fact, it’s so good I have a separate card for my wife and we double up on the benefits. 

• Like 1