Yes, ANOTHER tipping question…

chefchick

We are not new to cruising and not new to additional tipping on cruise ships, but I am a little confused.  Boarding the new Seascape on the 18th…we will be in the YC.  I realize with daily gratuities all ready paid, no additional tipping is “required” but if we feel that our butler, for example, or a regular bartender warrants additional gratuities how does one go about distributing that when MSC specifically states that “tipping individuals is discouraged”.  I know we could leave cash for the butler in our cabin upon disembarkation discreetly but what about others we may feel made our vacation special.  We are not the types to be palming cash or making a big deal out of handing envelopes on the last night.  We are adults and I’m sure we will figure it out, but I am curious how others discreetly distribute additional tips on board?  And is it really true that tips generally would be turned down, or worse, could actually put crew in an uncomfortable situation?  That is obviously the last thing we would want to do.

We've been on three MSC YC cruises.  Trust me, no one will turn down tips.

We just handed tips, in envelopes, to the deserving individuals.  They discretely put them in their pockets.  No one made a big deal of it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I was unsure about a lot of things, so I went in search of information and found this university study on tipping. The common feature of all forms of tipping is the voluntary and discretionary nature of the tip: the consumer is free to choose how much to tip, if at all. This definition excludes service charges, imposed gratuities, and imposed tips which have nothing in common with voluntary tipping. 
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/23748777_The_Social_Norm_of_Tipping_A_Review

Tipping in advance was traditionally the way most people used to tip, to insure promptness and most service providers actually respond best to this form of tipping. Especially useful when one is competing for the attention of over-worked short staffed service providers.

I did tip in advance last year on a cruise only to discover that the maitre d' was switched a day after i had tipped him. Then we went through 3 different butlers that were taken out of service due to covid and one steward.

On our most recent cruise I met with the maitre d' to express my desires and then asked him if he was going to be our maitre d' for the entire cruise. He assured me he was and to 'express' my 'appreciation' that everything would be as I requested, I tipped him. Just at the moment of his hand and mine clasping an officer approached and witnessed the act. I asked the officer if he had anything to do with the dedicated restaurant and he said he was the manager of all the restaurants. I proceeded to go into my pocket again for another tip 'in kind' when the officer stopped me and said for him it is not necessary. The maitre d' chimed in and said "whenever you feel the urge to tip my boss to give it to me. I will make sure he gets it."

1 hour ago, morpheusofthesea said:

"Tipping in advance..."

Speaking of which, here is Prof. Morpheus covering some of the finer points of advanced tipping, for his his Gratuities 301 class...

Complex-Chalking.gif.d04806565cd08c315c754ff586711aaf.gif

On a related topic, I'm amused when tipping questions are posted on boards for luxury cruise lines with "crew welfare funds" that accept passenger donations. It amazes me there are cruisers who will imply the only virtuous gestures are:
1) Donating to the crew fund.
2) Comment cards of praise.

It's as if some people feel tipping on a luxury cruise is unseemly.

A great many, if not the majority, of guest-service crew members are supporting their families back in their homeland. Helping the crew get more shared day-off bicycles from the fund is nice, but I prefer to tip extra cash, so crew members can wire it home if their personal situation requires it.

Praise on the comment cards (or e-mail) costs nothing but a few minutes, and everyone should do that to support fine service.

• Like 2

I am new to MSC and thus new to the YC. We're on the Preziosa on the 27th and have wondered the same considering the exceptional service I am sure we will receive. I am using what's in this thread as my basis:

Edited by Griff4AU

7 minutes ago, Griff4AU said:

We're on the Preziosa on the 27th and have wondered the same considering the exceptional service I am sure we will receive.

I find tipping those I come in contact with very easy. I just put myself in the role of the service provider providing me the service and the amount I think I am worth for the service I provided. I generally tip myself $100-$200, one time I was only worth $20 for the weeks cruise.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Griff4AU said:

I am new to MSC and thus new to the YC. We're on the Preziosa on the 27th and have wondered the same considering the exceptional service I am sure we will receive. I am using what's in this thread as my basis:

Thank you to those of you who responded. I am not sure WHY the cruise line would specifically state NOT to tip individuals when clearly (according to the accounts here) it is standard practice like it is on most main stream lines.  We are pretty self sufficient and it would never occur to us to make some of the requests mentioned here, but maybe we will have to branch out and be a bit more high maintenance 😎. Now I just have to figure out where to get purchase tiny tip envelopes 🙂. In all seriousness, I have spent many years in the service industry and I know how hard the crew works to make our voyage special, I just wanted to make sure it wouldn’t be an uncomfortable encounter in any way for them or us.

Edited by chefchick
  • Like 1