Drinks package or not?

KaDarr

19 hours ago, PasadenaDave said:

Like others posted to each his own.  We did a fifteen day Viking Cruise last May.  We are not heavy drinkers and found the provided beer and wine at lunch and dinner acceptable.  We also bought a bottle of gin for pre-dinner drinks in our cabin.  The price of the bottle and purchased drinks on board was less than $150.  The Silver Spirits package for two, $600.

We had a great cruise and had more alcohol to drink than we planned to.

We did same on Orion this past August in Alaska and we found the bartenders very generous about what they called lunch and dinner hours. For instance if lounging in the pool area we could grab our beer and wine for several hours so long as the grill was open for “lunch”

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, oceandream said:

Thank you but I was not referring to the package, I meant the included beer and wine at meals, my question is can you order a drink at a bar during meal times?

2 minutes ago, oceandream said:

Thank you but I was not referring to the package, I meant the included beer and wine at meals, my question is can you order a drink at a bar during meal times?

Yes you can.  

Just a reminder to those new to this topic that the SSBP must be purchased by both passengers in the cabin. In our case where one of us cannot drink alcohol for medical reasons, it doesn't make sense. It would be in effect $40 pp per day. No problem as there are many other ways to enjoy an alcoholic drink.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, homeatlast said:

Does Viking have breakfast smoothies and are they included in the fare or is a drinks package required? Also, how about non-alcohol drinks at the bar?

Smoothies included. On the Star now.  They are available at the World cafe at the fruit counter. No waiter needed.  Also available every morning at Explorers Bar.

yes non alch beer and red/white wine available as well.

We’ve bought the package for our first Viking cruise (and first cruise) primarily for convenience. It probably won’t work out more economical - but I’ve heard that people remember the drinks you like, you don’t have to worry about signing to your room etc. Given the cost of a 15 night cruise, a few hundred extra per person makes sense for the convenience for us. 

• Like 1

Had the SSP during recent Panama Canal cruise and developed throat infection halfway through the cruise. Ship doctor put me on an antibiotic and thus my consumption of the SSP came to a halt. My wife couldn't consume my share for some reason!