Thoughts on Koningsdam Mexican Riviera Cruise 12/3 - 12/10/2022

OmarOak

This was our first cruise since December 2019; sticking our toes in the water post-Covid. Here are our impressions:

The Port: The San Diego Embarkation/Disembarkation experience was great; fast, organized and efficient. We had an 11:30 arrival time and were in our cabin by 11:55. Club Orange helped but things looked speedy regardless.

The Ship: in good condition throughout

The Itinerary: the Mexican Riviera didn't do it for us. We tend to be most interested in cultural sites and nothing we saw in any of the 3 ports was worth getting off the ship for. Still, the cruise was a great opportunity to get back to cruising

Entertainment: BB King and the Rolling Stone Rock Room were both great, as always. We didn't attend any of the production shows; no interest. 

Dining:

Pinnacle Grill - We went twice. On the first visit the service was fantastic but the food was very ordinary. On the second visit the food was fantastic but the service was amateur. The side dishes were notably smaller than times past and the menu was somewhat paired down.

Sel de Mer - The biggest disappointment was Sel de Mer. The food was fine but the service was off. We didn't receive our first course until an hour after our order was taken and the entrees arrived soon thereafter. My wife is a slow eater and this rushed service really messed up our evening. We also noticed that some of the dishes that used to involve table side service (deboning the Sole, the sauce poured over the Crepes Suzette) were done in the kitchen. The Crepes Suzette were cold.

Tamarind - Great! We were disappointed that the Rijstaffel pop-up was not offered on this cruise but the food and service from the regular menu was outstanding. If it were on land, Tamarind would be the bestAsian restaurant in our area!

The Lido - we had two dinners and a few other meals in the Lido. For Dinner, the menus were more repetitive than I recalled. Only two of the stations changed on a daily basis but the food quality was good. Lunches were very repetitive. Breakfast had the same breadth of options but I feel like food quality has suffered. Bacon was thinner and fattier than I recall; soggy as well. The Hash Browns were also different and seemed more processed.

Club Orange - We had a few breakfasts there which were good. Identical food to the Lido.

Coffee - We had morning Coffee from Explorations and the Dutch Cafe. I preferred the Explorations Coffee and Camille was the most outstanding crew member I interacted with.

Casual Food venues - The Dive In was better than I recalled and adding a grab and go burger selection was a good step forward. Grand Dutch Cafe's food remains good but the Pizza venue was very disappointing.

Curious what others on the same itinerary thought!

• Thanks 1

I agree.  Service seemed slow in all the pay restaurants.  Once you ordered it sped up considerably.  Can see that bring a problem if you eat slow.  That's really odd about the sole.  I ordered it after hearing people rave about it.  It was good but nothing I'd likely order again.  He definitely took the bones out at the table.  Presentation was very nice.  I think the lobster tail is the best it that restaurants when it's one not 2 smaller ones.  Can't speak to the crepes.  It's not something I enjoy. Sel de mer is my favorite.  Thank you for your review.  Camille in the explorations was lovely.  She left the ship yesterday so hopefully she is home or close to home now.

Edited by Florida_gal_50

20 hours ago, OmarOak said:

Coffee - We had morning Coffee from Explorations and the Dutch Cafe. I preferred the Explorations Coffee and Camille was the most outstanding crew member I interacted with.

Yes, we were on this sailing and we got coffee every morning at Explorations and she knew what we wanted to order daily.

8 hours ago, smiledr said:

How many dressy nights were there? and on what nights?  Did people dress in "formal wear" or more of a step up from smart casual?

Two dressy nights on the 7 night sailings. First and next to last sea days.

We were on the same cruise and saw a fair number of tuxes/suits/sport coats with ties/dress shirts with ties. Not the majority but enough to mark the occasion. 

• Like 1

We were on this same cruise in March and if you like cultural sites, we did the Tour of San Sebastien from PV.  It was awesome!  Lunch at a small family run restaurant, tours of a coffee plantation and a tequila distillery, and San Sebastien itself was lovely!  

L.

44.jpg

48.jpg

50.jpg

52.jpg