NCL Getaway Redux - Live Junket from 12/31/22 - 1/8/23

cruiseny4life

18 hours ago, DaisyGoldberg said:

It may be a random event, but we found leftover Moderno pineapple one night at the late night buffet area in the Great Outdoors on the Pearl. It makes sense that if there are leftovers they'd offer them. We also got some soup there that had been a main dining room option.

If you're peckish, it's worth a swing by the late night buffet to see what treasures you might stumble upon!

I just may do this. I'm not often an after 9 PM'er, but on cruise ships I do seem to stay up until 10 or so, especially if I'm in the thermal suite late. Leftover grilled pineapple sounds absolutely phenomenal! Heck, grilled pineapple of any type sounds wonderful. 

Thanks so much for the idea. 

Last night I was delighted to see a wonderful sunset. I'm going to stretch the "sailor take delight" adage to three days. This sky means I'll have a perfectly great cruise!

image.thumb.jpeg.eb7a20e7655e5bc0c6f645bba8ad09cd.jpeg

Now, there are just two sleeps to go until we board Norwegian Getaway for our third cruise of the year. I did put together a quick list of items that I'll be packing tonight. These are my frequently forgotten items:

Couple of card games

Headphones

Book

Hat - I've got a mostly bald head and always forget this

Sunscreen - see bald head comment above

Contacts

My husband - he'll make sure he's not forgotten, though

Ooooooh, I just realized we need to pack the aloe for when we forget the sunscreen and have sunburn. Neither of us are good about remembering these kind of things. And, I just remembered I want to take the go-pro too.

Otherwise, I'll throw some things in a bag tonight, or more likely on the table. My husband has a week of vacation this week, so he can pack everything up. He's sure not relaxing. While I'm slaving away at work, he's been doing all the house work we've neglected over the last couple months. 

He also has the honor of picking up my mom who will be watching our dogs and cat while we're away. Lucky him spending time with his mom-in-law. Yep, I've got a good husband! 

Why a go pro? We're not going to be starting any vlog on YouTube. No one would find us bear-type gays interesting enough to watch anyway. I just want to remember my snorkeling trip when we're at Great Stirrup Cay. Last time the snorkeling was amazing. Even got to see a stingray! Given we're on a holiday cruise that seems sold out, I don't think the beach and water will be quite this empty, but I can hope! 

image.thumb.jpeg.730ece9f1b557220f596bbbd42808ff5.jpeg

I'm sure I'll post a few photos of the trip to Jersey tomorrow, unless I drive. It's really weird that we're not staying in the city. I've never stayed in Jersey, then gone into the city. I'm not sure if there is a view of the skyline from Ridgefield Park, but if so, expect to see some NYC skyline photos as well.

• Like 5

I’m really looking forward to your review, @cruiseny4life!  I wish my husband and I were getting on the ship after your cruise ends like in September.  Are you in the Haven again?  If so,  enjoy being spoiled by the amazing Haven staff. We enjoyed the off the menu shrimp cocktail and the yummy lobster tails with dinner. So jealous. Lol. 

Sounds like you do have a great husband to spend time with your Mom this week.  Have safe travels!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Seas2mountains said:

I’m really looking forward to your review, @cruiseny4life!  I wish my husband and I were getting on the ship after your cruise ends like in September.  Are you in the Haven again?  If so,  enjoy being spoiled by the amazing Haven staff. We enjoyed the off the menu shrimp cocktail and the yummy lobster tails with dinner. So jealous. Lol. 

Sounds like you do have a great husband to spend time with your Mom this week.  Have safe travels!

Oh gosh! No, the husband is going along with me! He just has to pick my mom up, bring her to our house, and spend a few hours there until I get off from work. I'd have one upset man if he wasn't able to tag along!! Also, regardless of what he says, this cruise is his idea. 

We will be in the Haven! Same exact room, so the photos from the aft of the ship may look familiar. I'm definitely hoping for at least a few of the Haven staff to be the same. I don't know if the restaurant will be as enjoyable without Janet looking after us every meal! 

If you'd like, we can pack a giant suitcase and try to sneak you, and the husband, onboard. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, DaisyGoldberg said:

Be sure to pack routine pharmacy stuff, too (advil, anti nausea pills) as they don't appear to sell them in the gift shops any more and now require a medical unit visit and a lot of insurance money for stuff you can fit in your toiletry bag.  

Good point! We'll definitely have a few of those over the counter pills with us. It would be a long wait for the pharmacy in Bermuda to pick something up easily.

• Like 1

@cruiseny4lifeI'm also really looking forward to your review. I'm booked on the 1/8 sailing and would be happy to smuggle you back on.

I know you aren't drinkers, but I was hoping that you could ask the bartenders what "Connoisseur Collection" beverages are.

They are now listed as another exclusion for the premium plus upgrades beverage package and I don't recall that wording being used before. I'm going to ask this question in the plus upgrade thread out there, too, but thought as you will actually be on the ship where it matters to me soon maybe you could ask if you think to. 

Either way I wish you a terrific cruise

10 hours ago, cruiseinfoseeker said:

@cruiseny4lifeI'm also really looking forward to your review. I'm booked on the 1/8 sailing and would be happy to smuggle you back on.

I know you aren't drinkers, but I was hoping that you could ask the bartenders what "Connoisseur Collection" beverages are.

They are now listed as another exclusion for the premium plus upgrades beverage package and I don't recall that wording being used before. I'm going to ask this question in the plus upgrade thread out there, too, but thought as you will actually be on the ship where it matters to me soon maybe you could ask if you think to. 

Either way I wish you a terrific cruise

Why thank you! I just may take you up on that offer! Oh, to be able to do a back to back cruise would be so cool. Someday when retirement hits.:) 

I will do my best to ask about this collection of beverages. I am staying in the Haven so hopefully they'll be able to let me know. I'm not going to guarantee I remember. My memory is that of a sieve, so feel free to re-up on this question when I'm on the ship. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cruiseny4life said:

Why thank you! I just may take you up on that offer! Oh, to be able to do a back to back cruise would be so cool. Someday when retirement hits.:) 

I will do my best to ask about this collection of beverages. I am staying in the Haven so hopefully they'll be able to let me know. I'm not going to guarantee I remember. My memory is that of a sieve, so feel free to re-up on this question when I'm on the ship. 

Thanks! 

I'm even more excited that you are in the Haven as I will be as well week after you. I'm the same way with memory and besides you'll be in vacation mode so I'd never expect you to answer or get answers to anything.

Early Happy New Year to you! Just one more day until you are on! Yay

3 hours ago, CruzinMel said:

It's finally HERE!!!  Tracel Day!!!  Here's hoping you and the hubs are on the road as well - I will check in on you from down south on the Escape.  Safe travels!!!!

Yesss!! I hope you're almost where you need to be. Is it Port Canaveral? 

Ugh! Why is it that the day before vacation is always crazy? Unplanned crazy? I was hoping to get out of work at 2 today...that sure ain't happening! I'll be lucky to be out at 4. 

Oh well, at least NJ is only a four'ish hour drive! 

*sorry y'all, had to vent a little* less than 24 hours and it'll be all good!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

Ugh! Why is it that the day before vacation is always crazy? Unplanned crazy? I was hoping to get out of work at 2 today...that sure ain't happening! I'll be lucky to be out at 4. 

Oh well, at least NJ is only a four'ish hour drive! 

*sorry y'all, had to vent a little* less than 24 hours and it'll be all good!

It does seem to work out that way doesn't it.  Soon you'll be shutting down and making your way to NJ. Looking forward to reading along with your adventure!  

• Thanks 1

We are at the Hampton Inn. To say they are understaffed is a bit of an understatement. The front desk guy is doing an amazing job checking people in, cleaning rooms, cashing out chocolate purchases, and getting towels and toilet paper for guests. All by his lonesome. Poor guy! 

But, we're here in our not so fancy room. 

20221230_211944.thumb.jpg.2d0d5656fe0817192e9d1af90dbea66c.jpg

We were only able to get a space on the 1030 shuttle, but a group member to the rescue! We did a switcheroo with a couple in real time. They will take our 1030 AM shuttle and we will take their 830 AM shuttle. They don't get to check in until noon, while we have a 1030 time, with Haven boarding privileges. Yay for, you know... somewhere on the internet. 

Not only are our digs not so fancy tonight, our dinner was a quick burger at Ronald's house... but based on my cruising history, I had what will be my best burger until after the cruise. 

20221230_175414.thumb.jpg.296de6993876890e532f8563be5ce14b.jpg

We drove about 4 hours today and used about a quarter tank of gas. I'm so glad my husband decided to purchase a hybrid...I have the gas guzzling SUV for our many dogs and property- related use. I filled it up on the way from work and it'll get us home next week! 

20221230_165559.thumb.jpg.7a11602fe3723e108ea09d4dd20257c5.jpg

I'm going to get some rest. That free breakfast comes early with an 830 shuttle! 

• Like 2

For those keeping track, I was able to walk out of the office at 4:30 today. 2.5 hours later than I hoped. Why do staff decide to go bat 💩 crazy on Fridays? Especially on this Friday! 

Oh well, hotel here I am. Getaway here I come...after a sleep.

• Like 3

Happy cruise day to me! Happy cruise day to me!

Since deciding to live in the Utica area, it is more than 30 minutes to the closest Chase location. Thankfully, we are now in civilization, so just got back from a trip to the local Chase ATM to get our tip money for the cruise. Now to keep someone from spending it all gambling. 

When we got back to the hotel, I was able to see our view. Not nearly as good as yours, @CruzinMel! Mine is just....New Jersey. 

20221231_074111.thumb.jpg.4399663233d5b0c9b5dd714a9148aff9.jpg

Breakfast is the normal hotel breakfast:

Sausage, liquid eggs, oatmeal, pastries, waffles, and breads. I didn't get a photo. If I have time when we head down for our shuttle, I'll be sure to take a photo. 

Lots of kids with their families are here. I'm thinking many of them are also heading to the ship with us. On the plus side, no babies yet! Phew!

• Like 4

We have a full shuttle to the pier. There's a family of ten from Montreal taking up 10 of 16 seats. Wow! 7 kids, 3 adults.

Nice view of the GW as we ventured on the loops toward the West Side.

20221231_083956.thumb.jpg.e0d0a635de945d1bf864d2b9ddf9db86.jpg

20221231_083259.thumb.jpg.30da4275d39d7d76ae0c882bfaedb8bb.jpg

Lots of luggage for the 16 of us!

20221231_084809.thumb.jpg.3b889efdadad0df09465642911c7f2a5.jpg

20221231_084806.thumb.jpg.23c30bfca8e625ffc24457a8108ef809.jpg

Here's our limited luggage compared to everyone else.

20221231_081332.thumb.jpg.2bebe7c1cad1777463a8925996187c9e.jpg

20221231_083841.jpg

Edited by cruiseny4life

And, in 20 minutes we went from curb to Haven Lounge! Too fast for any quality photos.

20221231_085844.thumb.jpg.5751e9084135c05beec1e604591f21a9.jpg

20221231_090124.thumb.jpg.13578995d35441de6d10923fe74ae687.jpg

20221231_092045.thumb.jpg.c249a35d76547b3ad5681c9061be8190.jpg

The only reason it was 20 minutes is because my husband doesn't have citizenship yet. There are a couple of extra steps with his boarding. Every time we check in, the little handheld says "Boarding Denied." This is our third cruise this year, so we're used to it now. The first time, we did not like it! At all!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

And, in 20 minutes we went from curb to Haven Lounge! Too fast for any quality photos.

20221231_085844.thumb.jpg.5751e9084135c05beec1e604591f21a9.jpg

20221231_090124.thumb.jpg.13578995d35441de6d10923fe74ae687.jpg

20221231_092045.thumb.jpg.c249a35d76547b3ad5681c9061be8190.jpg

The only reason it was 20 minutes is because my husband doesn't have citizenship yet. There are a couple of extra steps with his boarding. Every time we check in, the little handheld says "Boarding Denied." This is our third cruise this year, so we're used to it now. The first time, we did not like it! At all!

What side of the pier (facing the river) was Haven Check in?

4 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

What side of the pier (facing the river) was Haven Check in?

Today was different than April and September. We checked in at a normal check-in desk (just for the Haven) on the left side of the terminal. The lounge is on the right. 

At security go all the way to the left. That's where Haven security check has been the last two times this year for us.

• Like 1