NCL Getaway Redux - Live Junket from 12/31/22 - 1/8/23

cruiseny4life

On 12/13/2022 at 10:41 AM, cruiseny4life said:

We've decided we'll try the Hampton Inn Ridgefield Park, with their free parking and shuttle to/from the pier. They offer free breakfast too. I'm sure it's the powdered eggs, weird brown & serve sausages, and make your own waffles. 

It's been a couple of years since we stayed there, but the breakfast was remarkably good ! Enough to remark upon as a really pleasant surprise.  As good as the ship breakfasts - we were impressed. We don't get anything fancy - scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, toast. But it wasn't a dumpy little kitchenette situation with a plate of cold bagels wrapped in saran wrap  - it was a working breakfast kitchen.

It's not a luxury hotel, but perfectly fine for a pre-vacation night's stay. It's in an office park type area, so not a lot of dining options unless you want to get back in your car and drive (which we don't after driving down from Boston). So we pick up sandwiches for dinner when we stop for lunch.  There is a multiplex movie theatre just up the street - or used to be. Mostly we like to just check in, have a nap, and rest up for the busy week ahead.

Pick up and drop off both ways was uneventful and straightforward. About a half hour from the port. We've been lucky enough to not have snow, but always pack a shovel just in case you need to dig out upon your return!

We'll be back there ourselves a few weeks after you return, so I look forward to your report!

• Thanks 1

Thank you for doing this live. I have just finished reading your past two reviews in anticipation of our upcoming Getaway cruise.

This is our first cruise where we are NOT in the Haven, unfortunately. I’m sure it will be a completely different experience than the last 3 we have been on. 

On 12/16/2022 at 5:31 PM, DaisyGoldberg said:

It's been a couple of years since we stayed there, but the breakfast was remarkably good ! Enough to remark upon as a really pleasant surprise.  As good as the ship breakfasts - we were impressed. We don't get anything fancy - scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, toast. But it wasn't a dumpy little kitchenette situation with a plate of cold bagels wrapped in saran wrap  - it was a working breakfast kitchen.

It's not a luxury hotel, but perfectly fine for a pre-vacation night's stay. It's in an office park type area, so not a lot of dining options unless you want to get back in your car and drive (which we don't after driving down from Boston). So we pick up sandwiches for dinner when we stop for lunch.  There is a multiplex movie theatre just up the street - or used to be. Mostly we like to just check in, have a nap, and rest up for the busy week ahead.

Pick up and drop off both ways was uneventful and straightforward. About a half hour from the port. We've been lucky enough to not have snow, but always pack a shovel just in case you need to dig out upon your return!

We'll be back there ourselves a few weeks after you return, so I look forward to your report!

Thank you for this! I absolutely love hearing someone's firsthand account of the hotel and the breakfast! It sounds like I'll be sufficiently well fed prior to boarding the ship. Once on the ship, I know I'll have more than anyone needs in an eight day period of time. Nice little sausage or bacon sammie with eggs.

I used to spend one night a week doing the night audit at a hotel and let me tell ya, that buffet spread was worse than the "dumpy little kitchenette situation." That description makes me laugh aloud and it's so true! 

Around 4 AM, I would dump a giant bag of powder in some boiling water, stir it up and serve it on the buffet alongside some cold food items that could nominally be called "biscuits." There were chemically peeled boiled eggs, a cinnamon roll (best item available), and some fake eggo waffles. The general manager was actually quite proud of this setup. 

Ok, that's enough of a tangent. Back to your kind words. We might need to check out this multiplex, especially if it's a Regal. The husband and I have their unlimited package so can watch as many movies as we want. I suppose that will depend on how late we get in. Unfortunately, I have to work a full day before heading to Jersey, so (good traffic/weather, the lord willing), we'll get in around 9 PM. 

Thanks again, I really appreciate your perspective!

• Like 1

On 12/16/2022 at 8:43 PM, Winky7650 said:

Thank you for doing this live. I have just finished reading your past two reviews in anticipation of our upcoming Getaway cruise.

This is our first cruise where we are NOT in the Haven, unfortunately. I’m sure it will be a completely different experience than the last 3 we have been on. 

Oh, but I hope you'll love your cruise! I imagine a cruise to anywhere has to be lovely, unless it's the poop cruise, pandemic cruise, or the like. If you are ever in the mood to write a review, do a live, etc., I'd be more than appreciative as we're wondering if we should ever sail outside the bubble. 

On 12/15/2022 at 1:44 PM, cruiseny4life said:

Today is a day of anticipation! Supposedly we're going to get hit with the snowstorm sweeping the nation! Here's what it looks like:

639a45a4a58a8.webp.4d4db36f26ef3a32786000b938df8c8b.webp

I live in the middle of nowhere right on that blue/red line. I'm hoping we stray completely into the red. 14 inches would be a perfect pre-Christmas gift, especially if it hangs around to make a white Christmas. 

Alas, I'm supposed to go to my husband's office Christmas party tonight. I don't think I'll make it given the snow about to barrel down on us. That means a quiet night alone with the pups. I won't mind that a lot. 🙂 Also, the party is supposed to end at 11 PM. I should be asleep for two hours by then! 

I'm really getting antsy for the cruise, so I pretty much talk constantly about it. I've been having dreams of laying on those nice thermal loungers. 

Today wasn't a great NCLH news day. I'm hoping for the company to come out of the pandemic riding high, but laying off 9% of their shoreside employees isn't exactly a good sign. Will layoffs be the way NCLH gets to profitability in 2023 as Frankie boy has promised? That doesn't bode well. I'm going to have the husband email our PCC to see if she's still employed.

Here's an article on the layoffs, if you're interested: https://www.cruisehive.com/norwegian-announces-9-staff-cuts-and-leadership-changes/90412

Now, for more uhhhh....entertaining thoughts.

I've reviewed our specialty dining reservations and have to say we're in for a very steak heavy cruise. We're starting off with the artistry and songs of Teppanyaki and those Asian influences. We'll end our specialty dining with the South American gauchos of Brasil bringing us skewers of meat. I know I always remember the cheesy rolls at Texas de Brasil, so we'll see how Moderno's compare. Mmm, now I'm hungry and I've already eaten my lunch. 

To be fair, it's possible we'll change at least one of the dining reservations to La Cucina. I do enjoy their spaghetti carbonara and lasagna. There are just too many choices and decisions for vacation! 

We love Texas De Brazil. The experience on the ship is a bit disappointing I’n comparison .The salad bar doesn’t even come close. However, we did make a reservation on our  upcoming Getaway cruise on Jan.8. 

4 hours ago, DaisyGoldberg said:

Sadly I have to retract my breakfast endorsement - we've stayed at the HILTON GARDEN INN not the Hampton Inn in Ridgewood Park. 

Maybe you can sneak over there for a pre-cruise breakfast if the Hampton isn't up to snuff. 

Oh no!!! Well, this won't spoil my day.

These suckers just arrived in the mail. I'd say hot off the presses, but it's about 20 degrees outside and these sat in the mailbox all day...soooooo more like cold to the touch!

IMG_20221219_194829_01.jpg

• Like 5

8 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Oh no!!! Well, this won't spoil my day.

These suckers just arrived in the mail. I'd say hot off the presses, but it's about 20 degrees outside and these sat in the mailbox all day...soooooo more like cold to the touch!

IMG_20221219_194829_01.jpg

Also exciting when those "suckers" arrive no matter the temperature!!!  I cannot wait to receive my next set.

20 hours ago, Joken35 said:

We love Texas De Brazil. The experience on the ship is a bit disappointing I’n comparison .The salad bar doesn’t even come close. However, we did make a reservation on our  upcoming Getaway cruise on Jan.8. 

Thanks for letting me know. Definitely appreciate hearing about others experience! I'll just keep my hopes down a little, so that I'll hopefully be pleased with the meal. I'm looking forward to the pineapple! It sounds as if it'll be warm, rather than cold which seems more appetizing than the yummy pineapple at Texas de Brasil. 

I'll be sure to include my Moderno thoughts in this so you have an idea of how it is when you take my place on the Getaway on January 8th (crushingly sad day for me, happy day for you). 

22 hours ago, DaisyGoldberg said:

Last night he (the husband) got stuck at work due to the snow storm, so he went to the tiny cinema in that town. It's a locally owned joint. Apparently the ticket was $7 and popcorn was $4.50. I don't think that's possible at any Regal, AMC, etc...he watched some sort of Evil Santa Claus, spy movie?? This weekend, we're going on Saturday for a double header: Avatar and Puss in Boots. I know I'll be movie'd out, but he'll probably drag me along to the AMC in Ridgefield Park (if it's not wicked late). 

Appreciate you posting the cinema location! 

3 hours ago, vacation44 said:

Also exciting when those "suckers" arrive no matter the temperature!!!  I cannot wait to receive my next set.

Since we booked this cruise only two weeks ago, I'm really surprised we received luggage tags! I kind of wish they would ask us how many we need as the most we ever need is one (shared small carry-on). We bring our bookbag style backpacks. I kind of wish we had more luggage so we could use all six of the tags they give us. That seems like a lot though!

But yes, it definitely makes the vacation impending mode turn on just a wee bit!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Since we booked this cruise only two weeks ago, I'm really surprised we received luggage tags! I kind of wish they would ask us how many we need as the most we ever need is one (shared small carry-on). We bring our bookbag style backpacks. I kind of wish we had more luggage so we could use all six of the tags they give us. That seems like a lot though!

But yes, it definitely makes the vacation impending mode turn on just a wee bit!

I put the extra ones on our carryons thinking if we loose it, the finder would know where it belongs without going through the bag.

• Thanks 1

Does NCL provide everyone with luggage tags or do we have to print our own? We booked with a TA so not sure if that makes a difference.

How is the entertainment now on the Getaway? We were on it several years ago and thought it was lacking as far as the amount of theater shows, especially for 12-14 night cruises. We've seen Burn the Floor & Million Dollar Quartet, & although they were great, I am hoping they will offer something new to the entertainment schedule.

9 hours ago, bren61 said:

Does NCL provide everyone with luggage tags or do we have to print our own? We booked with a TA so not sure if that makes a difference.

How is the entertainment now on the Getaway? We were on it several years ago and thought it was lacking as far as the amount of theater shows, especially for 12-14 night cruises. We've seen Burn the Floor & Million Dollar Quartet, & although they were great, I am hoping they will offer something new to the entertainment schedule.

Typically they only mail the tags for Haven guests. Right after start up they mailed to other cabin types but that is not the norm.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, bren61 said:

Hey there! I can only speak from my experience which is different from other cruisers. This is our third cruise this year. Each time, we have received luggage tags. I'll mention it now, for the first time, as I believe it applies to my situation. We were in the Haven on previous cruises, and do have a Haven suite booked for this cruise. I think that's why we received luggage tags in the mail. 

In many other posts, I've seen people mention they did not receive luggage tags in the mail. Each time, I believe those people were not sailing in the Haven, although I do know some Haven passengers have not received them either. So, I do think that makes a difference. 

It is possible your travel agent will receive the luggage tags. I've also seen others on these boards state they received them from their travel agent.

Here is what I do know you can expect to happen: when you do your check-in, wait one to two days, then sign back into your NCL account to view your E-docs. In your E-docs you will be provided with a copy of your luggage tags. These are for you to print out and attach to your luggage. Many suggest using plastic luggage tag holders so the luggage tags don't break off your bag. Using the NCL provided luggage tags has never been an issue for us, though we've only used them one time. 

I know that was probably more information about luggage tags than you wanted, but I want to be sure you have realistic expectations that you may need to print them on your own. You may want to give your travel agent a call to find out if they will personally send you the luggage tags. 

As for entertainment, both Burn the Floor and Million Dollar Quartet were offered on April and September when I sailed. I assume they will both be offered in nine days when I sail. Sorry, I'm excited! I do know everyone on the ship raves about Howl at the Moon and Syd Norman's band, but I haven't gone to either as I don't really enjoy the golden oldies of the 60's, 70's, and 80's. I'd prefer very late 90's - through now. 

If you haven't seen it, one show to consider going to is Broadway Unplugged. The cast of Million Dollar Quartet performs Broadway tunes, but they do so with a twist on the music. It's really a great show, but you do need to enjoy the classic Broadway tunes. 

If there is new entertainment, you'll see it in the Dailies I post.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/20/2022 at 11:55 AM, vacation44 said:

I put the extra ones on our carryons thinking if we loose it, the finder would know where it belongs without going through the bag.

That's not a bad idea! I have a bad habit of leaving my backpack and returning to it later. It's never been swiped, but I'm sure some people had questions about it. A luggage tag isn't a bad idea! 

On 12/20/2022 at 8:59 AM, Treasure Hunter said:

My kids and grandkids stayed at the Hampton Inn and used the package. They said it was great and we’re on the road to DC at the end of the cruise around 10. The shuttle to the ship and pick up worked great. They would do it again. Totally hassle, worry free.

This is such a great review. I really appreciate you sharing your family's experience , especially after reading some of the reviews (which I try to take with a grain of salt). 

On 12/20/2022 at 11:10 AM, EllieinNJ said:

I'm not sure whether it was the Hampton or Hilton Gardens but last year someone on our roll call said the shuttle left before breakfast even opened up.  It was around 7:30am.

7:30's a little early, but I'll take it! We know of a couple great bakeries in Hell's Kitchen that are within walking distance of the pier that we can settle into for a few hours until check-in.

Wow! It's been awhile since I posted. Christmas kind of got in the way of my internetting time! Welp, we're less than a week out from the cruise. According to my math we're at three days, because Friday right after work vacation beings as we travel down to New Jersey to stay at the Hampton Inn. According to NCL it's image.png.e4d2a774da2470253825991c471f01d6.png

Regardless how you count it, we're down to the last few days. Yesterday, it really hit home for me as I watched a few NCL Getaway YouTube videos to get me prepared. Yes, this will be my third time on the Norwegian Getaway this year, yes I still watch YouTube videos about it. I'm obsessed, ok? 

Before talking about the cruise, can I just mention how disappointed I am in the storm we had over Christmas? I live three hours from Buffalo. We received virtually no snow. Nothing! Nada! Why can't I have the six feet of snow they got? I'll take that, plus the 70 MPH winds. We have a wood burning fireplace, tons of blankets, and four dogs so we'd be good without power for a few days. Ugh, I'm seriously upset about this one...and yes, I realize people lost their lives during the storm. That is sad and unfortunate. 

image.thumb.jpeg.a339e4c0bd74a0b5ac9a5a72b56ef587.jpeg

Now, on to happier thoughts! Merry after Christmas everyone! And merry, happy, wonderful whatever if you celebrate something else! I send you all happy thoughts and hope you have had many blessings in 2022! Here's to 2023!

image.thumb.jpeg.5af61fbf8fbd9e1aeca22a709fff517e.jpeg

Last night, our night talk (husband and I's wanderings before drifting off to sleep) was all about what we're going to eat. Barring any special menu in the main dining room, we've decided on the following for our New Year's Eve, welcome aboard meals on the Getaway:

American Diner lunch - I'm having mozzarella sticks, lobster and shrimp sliders, and a banana milkshake. The husband is having mozzarella sticks and probably the crispy chicken sandwich, with some sort of milkshake. He will probably change his mind. I won't be...although I don't recall the lobster and shrimp sliders on the embarkation day American Diner menu. Maybe they have a different one that day? In this case, I'll be sad and having the loaded nachos or pulled pork sliders. The sandwiches, salads, and specialties aren't of interest to me. No dessert. The milkshake is our dessert! 

Haven Restaurant dinner - For me: 7 piece shrimp cocktail, medium rare prime rib, one lobster tail, and possibly a crab cake or two. For the husband: 7 - 13 piece shrimp cocktail, medium filet, with baked potato. Not sure about dessert. I'm thinking I'll have the Blonde Lava Cake (miinus the butterscotch, YUCK). He may have the coconut mousse. 

I will definitely report back, with photos, on our New Year's Eve eats! 

We've also been talking about partying on New Year's Eve. Neither of us are really into large crowds, but I'm hoping for a pool deck party. I'm guessing it'll be in the Atrium since it's New Year's Eve just offshore of New York/New Jersey. But, one can hope!!

I might even get my husband to have a glass of Champagne at midnight! He's not really into the whole drinking thing (like ever). The bartenders in the haven do make one heck of a drink that he loves. I know it has pineapple juice, Sprite, and orange juice. It has a couple other things, but I'm not sure what.

Before the festivities, and after dinner, I know we will be delighting in the humidity of the thermal suite. I can't wait to see the dark view out the windows of the endless ocean as we glide across the ocean...unless we suffer the fate of the Christmas Getaway and are still in NYC. If we are...it'll be the best opportunity I'll ever have to take part in the NY Times festivities. Probably not though. Did I mention I hate crowds?

• Like 1

On 12/22/2022 at 9:15 AM, cruiseny4life said:

This is such a great review. I really appreciate you sharing your family's experience , especially after reading some of the reviews (which I try to take with a grain of salt). 

7:30's a little early, but I'll take it! We know of a couple great bakeries in Hell's Kitchen that are within walking distance of the pier that we can settle into for a few hours until check-in.

Can you please share the names of those bakeries? We'd rather check our bags and settle in somewhere more comfortable than the departure lounge while waiting for the ship to be cleared. Thanks!  

39 minutes ago, jackinav said:

Can you please share the names of those bakeries? We'd rather check our bags and settle in somewhere more comfortable than the departure lounge while waiting for the ship to be cleared. Thanks!  

Of course! 

Closest and yummy (they did have some sort of flooding which might impact their operations) - Sullivan St. Bakery - 533 W. 47th St.

Amy's Breads - 672 9th Ave. 

Those are our two favorite, close to the pier. There is always Black Seed Bagel at Chelsea Market or down by WTC. Both of those are within walking distance on a nice day, with limited luggage...Black Seed at WTC is a straight taxi ride down 12th Ave. though. Even I wouldn't really recommend venturing there on foot. 

We won't be partaking in any of these this times, since our hotel is offering breakfast and we're arriving to the pier right at boarding time on a shuttle. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/20/2022 at 8:31 AM, cruiseny4life said:

Thanks for letting me know. Definitely appreciate hearing about others experience! I'll just keep my hopes down a little, so that I'll hopefully be pleased with the meal. I'm looking forward to the pineapple! It sounds as if it'll be warm, rather than cold which seems more appetizing than the yummy pineapple at Texas de Brasil. 

It may be a random event, but we found leftover Moderno pineapple one night at the late night buffet area in the Great Outdoors on the Pearl. It makes sense that if there are leftovers they'd offer them. We also got some soup there that had been a main dining room option.

If you're peckish, it's worth a swing by the late night buffet to see what treasures you might stumble upon!

2 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Of course! 

Closest and yummy (they did have some sort of flooding which might impact their operations) - Sullivan St. Bakery - 533 W. 47th St.

Amy's Breads - 672 9th Ave. 

Those are our two favorite, close to the pier. There is always Black Seed Bagel at Chelsea Market or down by WTC. Both of those are within walking distance on a nice day, with limited luggage...Black Seed at WTC is a straight taxi ride down 12th Ave. though. Even I wouldn't really recommend venturing there on foot. 

We won't be partaking in any of these this times, since our hotel is offering breakfast and we're arriving to the pier right at boarding time on a shuttle. 

Thank you! We're taking a shuttle too, but not sure when it's dropping us off. It's nice to have those options !

• Like 1